Batteries, what's everyone using? >

Batteries, what's everyone using?

Notices

Batteries, what's everyone using?

Old 04-18-2017, 09:10 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

More battery info than you ever wanted to know.....
http://jgdarden.com/batteryfaq/batbrand.htm
Old 04-18-2017, 09:25 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
First couple Optimas I bought years ago (90`s) were great . After 2000 I couldn`t get one to last a year
Interesting.

I had a horrible time with the Blue Optimas in 3 boats...and it was early 2000's. Never had problems with other batteries till then, and never had since getting rid of them...
Old 04-18-2017, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just replaced my blue top Optimas that were in the boat for 10+ years. Only replaced them because they just got weak enough that when I would start the boat, it would shut off the GPS. No problems otherwise, just more of a nuisance. I have 2 blue tops in there now no problems. The boat sits for months at a time, turn the battery switch on, and it fires right up. I actually never put a charger on the blue tops now that I think about it.

And yes, all AGM batteries like Optimas like to be trickle charged. Throw 10 amps at it like a normal battery and they'll die.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that not everyone will believe this but it's 100% true. I installed the blue top Optima’s in my boat in 2005 and they still working perfectly. I charge them once a month in the winter and turn battery switches off when the boat is not in use. Knock on wood, but I have never had any trouble with them. They are the Original Optima battery company not Interstate like they are now.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:24 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
First couple Optimas I bought years ago (90`s) were great . After 2000 I couldn`t get one to last a year
Originally Posted by SB
Interesting.

I had a horrible time with the Blue Optimas in 3 boats...and it was early 2000's. Never had problems with other batteries till then, and never had since getting rid of them...
August of 2000 is when Johnson Controls acquired Gylling Optima and moved production to Mexico . . . .
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 04-18-2017 at 12:42 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:57 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Highly Recommend the Exide Edge Marine AGM. Packs a serious punch, better then Optima Blue Tops, plus they are very inexpensive for a Marine AGM.

I too had issues with Optima's lasting, seems like if they get too deeply discharged, they never come back fully, even with CTEK/RECOND charge.

I was shopping for batteries to hold up to a large stereo system, and provide good play time. The Exides provide tons of current to keep up with the demands of the stereo and have long discharge times.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:13 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by windsurfnut
I too had issues with Optima's lasting, seems like if they get too deeply discharged, they never come back fully, even with CTEK/RECOND charge.

the last set i had did just that in very short time to, once it started to slip there was no coming back. A few people suggested i was not charging it properly or not this or that with whatever charger was on my boat but truth be told . . . . i really dont wanna put that much thought into making a mediocre product survive let alone one i had lost most of my faith in anyway.

I have Exides Nautilus Dual's in my motorhome and that thing sits for months on end and never an issue, put key in and she rolls right over like i just parked it yesterday. I will probably put Exides in my boat as well, mostly because they have a bigger service and sales network then Deka but also because they seem to have a pretty strong following here . . . .
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 04-18-2017, 02:34 PM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Never gotten less than 10 years from my Interstate/DieHards, but I am in the North where batteries last longer. Keep them fully charged and cool off seasons and they last and last. Had at least 7 last over 10 years.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:12 PM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
same here, after Johnson control bought the brand and out sourced to Mexico they were hit and mis at best.
I had to much bad luck with them to ever use one again. I like Deka batteries these days.
Johnson Controls handles the Napa batteries West of the Mississippi and Deka/East Penn handles everything East of the Mississippi. The Napa marine batteries are pretty good for the money, they are same as Deka east of the river.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:14 PM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Interstate. Never an issue. Deka is also good but I cannot get them local.
You can get Deka at Napa locally

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.