Notices

Jumper Cables

Old 04-24-2017, 11:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a set of 16 footers for like 20 bucks at harbor freight . I also ordered remote jumper posts from summit racing and mounted them in an easy to reach location. My hatch is hydraulic and batteries are in engine room. If they go dead I'm kinda screwed even though pump is mounted outside in a compartment. Cant really put that much power through a tiny gauge wire so opted to remote posts. Happy to say since I did this I haven't needed the cables lol!
Old 04-24-2017, 01:10 PM
Registered

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

^^^ Did you check to see if those cables are rated for the amperage needed and length? When pricing adequate cables, I was in the $80 range and not at HFT.

Thought about cables then killed that idea for a jump box that many on OSO are using. I rather be self sufficient , so between that, Boat US towing and battery switches, I feel I'm covered.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dave M
I don't carry much in the line of tools these days, but I still carry a set of jumper cables. That said, in 20+ yrs. of boating, many of those yrs. with a single engine and one battery, I only used them once.
The day you take them out is the day you will need them. Better to have them and not need them...

I keep some on the boat, but one day took them out to use them on the farm for starting the backhoe. (They are long and heavy duty) I then forgot to put them back on the boat and lo and behold, ran the battery dead the next weekend. We found some cables, but they weren't heavy enough to get enough juice to my boat to turn the motor over fast enough and run the electronics to start it. That was a long tow back to the ramp. Quality cables aren't cheap, you need really, really heavy cables to go 20' and start a fuel injected big block. ..

[
Old 04-24-2017, 03:52 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
in theory, with a multiple battery system that is properly kept and managed, you should never need one. on a side note you should also never run with the battery switch in the "all" position, that is only for starting purpose. if you are one of those guys that runs in the "all" position. . . . . . better pick up some jumper cables
Exactly. My first outing in the NT lost all battery juice to the engine batteries, amazingly, both alternators were shot. Previous owner ran them in ALL and I guess that tears them up. Anyway, was able to jump the engine batteries from the accessory batteries to make it back to dock. So if you have batteries just for accessories, jumpers can come in handy if you should be so unlucky to lose both engine batteries.
Old 04-24-2017, 04:26 PM
Registered

So my wife's boat says to never move the switch while the engine is running or alternator damage may occur. I have always moved the switch from "all" to "2" after I throw anchor before cranking up the tunes. Is this wrong?
Old 04-24-2017, 04:55 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ChaseO
So my wife's boat says to never move the switch while the engine is running or alternator damage may occur. I have always moved the switch from "all" to "2" after I throw anchor before cranking up the tunes. Is this wrong?
Running in ALL is not recommended. I'm sure that's why I had to buy 2 new alternators when I bought my boat. I run port 1 and starboard 2. ALL when boat is off and on shore power.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:23 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a single engine boat with dual batteries. I always run "all". I park and listen to the radio on all as well. Never have an issue. My diesel truck has 2 batteries wired the same way. I dont get why its an issue.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:28 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,086 Likes on 1,388 Posts

^^^^Dual engines, each has a battery switch...put on all combines the two motors.^^^
Old 04-24-2017, 09:31 PM
Registered

Received 403 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by 79formula
I have a single engine boat with dual batteries. I always run "all". I park and listen to the radio on all as well. Never have an issue. My diesel truck has 2 batteries wired the same way. I dont get why its an issue.
It's only an issue with 2 engines (2 alternators tied together). One alternator changing 2 discharged batteries can damage the alternator.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:58 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,118 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by 79formula
How do you know if both batteries are good? One may be crook and you'd never know.
Single engine with two batteries, when you anchor its good to switch to one battery so if you have any problems, you still have the second battery available.

RR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.