Notices

Jumper Cables

Old 04-23-2017, 04:43 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Jumper Cables

Is anyone traveling with these on board? Wether for yourself, or some unlucky boater. Just curious.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea I have a pair
Old 04-23-2017, 07:28 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 364 Likes on 243 Posts

Booster pack, easier. Sometimes you need veeeery long cables to be able to connect...
Old 04-23-2017, 07:36 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,086 Likes on 1,388 Posts

Yup. A battery switch
Old 04-23-2017, 07:59 PM
Registered

Received 403 Likes on 239 Posts

Seatow!!!
Old 04-23-2017, 08:28 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 259 Likes on 92 Posts

in theory, with a multiple battery system that is properly kept and managed, you should never need one. on a side note you should also never run with the battery switch in the "all" position, that is only for starting purpose. if you are one of those guys that runs in the "all" position. . . . . . better pick up some jumper cables
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 04-23-2017 at 08:41 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:02 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,118 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
in theory, with a multiple battery system that is properly kept and managed, you should never need one. on a side note you should also never run with the battery switch in the "all" position, that is only for starting purpose. if you are one of those guys that runs in the "all" position. . . . . . better pick up some jumper cables
Please help me out here, with twins/triples I'd never run in the "All" position, start there if necessary then switch engines to their individual battery(s) to isolate a bad battery or slowly get some charge into it.

With a single, if I have one crook battery, if it's not totally dead, I would have thought running on all batteries might get some charge into the tired one while maintaining the good one(s). If I'm out for the day, I hate worrying that I only have one good one. When at anchor, I always isolate batteries.

RR
Old 04-23-2017, 09:13 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

I helped out a guy one day at a boat ramp. Had to go back to my truck to get cables. I got him started and he left a big scratch in my boat that didn't notice until I pulled the boat later that day.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:39 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 259 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by rak rua
Please help me out here, with twins/triples I'd never run in the "All" position, start there if necessary then switch engines to their individual battery(s) to isolate a bad battery or slowly get some charge into it.

With a single, if I have one crook battery, if it's not totally dead, I would have thought running on all batteries might get some charge into the tired one while maintaining the good one(s). If I'm out for the day, I hate worrying that I only have one good one. When at anchor, I always isolate batteries.

RR
you can run in the all position in necessity but don't make a habit of it and correct whatever problem as soon as possible. if you have a battery that goes down from use like running a stereo all day, switch to all and start the dead side but switch back to it's parent system and allow it to charge normally. it still comes back to managing charge and maintaining the system, but if you have an issue out on the water then by all means use the "all" position as needed. Not sure if you gain any charge advantage in running both, I would think letting the low sides charge on it's own would be better.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 04-23-2017 at 09:44 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:34 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

I don't carry much in the line of tools these days, but I still carry a set of jumper cables. That said, in 20+ yrs. of boating, many of those yrs. with a single engine and one battery, I only used them once.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.