Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Chicago's Navy Pier/Riverwalk >

Chicago's Navy Pier/Riverwalk

Notices

Chicago's Navy Pier/Riverwalk

Old 04-25-2017, 07:24 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Time for a bigger cat Rob. 36 Skater should do the trick!
Old 04-25-2017, 07:50 AM
Registered

Received 186 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Time for a bigger cat Rob. 36 Skater should do the trick!
A 36 Skater would be a great solution if I won the lottery. As for now my thin wallet is looking for alternate water routes to creatively enjoy my little boat!
Old 04-25-2017, 08:43 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by SecondWind
A 36 Skater would be a great solution if I won the lottery. As for now my thin wallet is looking for alternate water routes to creatively enjoy my little boat!
Little boat, big engine!
Old 04-25-2017, 11:59 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SecondWind
:

We launched at Burnham the last couple of times we tried to boat in Chicago (Air and Water Show and a Play Pen day). The harbor is nice and ramp is adequate for our size of boat. We even went through the lock to buy an anchor at West Marine as we lost one to start the morning. Our issue is the size and design of the boat. It's a 26 ft cat that doesn't do well in the rough. I was hoping to find a launch ramp close to the lock and protected from the wind! We ran from Burnham to the Air and Water Show cruising along at 80mph in the morning a few years ago. Trying to get back to Burnham late in the afternoon after the winds kicked up was difficult at any speed! Wasn't sure if we were going to make it back
Heck yeah...even WITHOUT any wind, the chop from boat traffic alone during the Air Show would make things...interesting in your boat! Burnham would definitely be the closest ramp...Diversey would be another option a bit further north...
Old 04-25-2017, 02:00 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sommerfliesby
The tiny guy in the blue shirt in the last picture may/may not be around directing things...that is the mayor...Rahm Emmanuel. My wife went and talked to him...I was going to offer him a ride in the boat, but decided against it...
Should have taken him for a Fast and Furious ride, then dumped him overboard in the middle of the lake.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:31 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

If you are looking for options. We have launched in Worth, IL at the municipal ramp and ran the Cal Sag out to the lake, or you can head north to the city. Or run the whole loop. There is a nominal fee to launch there. 31st street harbor has closed their launch ramp on the weekends due to lack of parking. The whole launch/parking situation there is a clusterf***. Lately we have been launching at Northpoint Marina up by Winthrop Harbor and having a nice run down. FYI - that launch is no longer free and will start charging a fee this summer to launch there.

When hitting the river across from City Winery is Bridge House Tavern and Restaurant, you can park on the wall for free if you are eating there. It is a little sketchy, with a climb up the ladder to the tables. The food was great and the views are good too.

I still wouldn't consider Chicago "Boat Friendly" but they are getting better. Of course be careful with lake Michigan. The wind changes and your day gets ****ty really quick.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:44 PM
Registered

Received 186 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Liquid Lifestyle
If you are looking for options. We have launched in Worth, IL at the municipal ramp and ran the Cal Sag out to the lake, or you can head north to the city. Or run the whole loop. There is a nominal fee to launch there. 31st street harbor has closed their launch ramp on the weekends due to lack of parking. The whole launch/parking situation there is a clusterf***. Lately we have been launching at Northpoint Marina up by Winthrop Harbor and having a nice run down. FYI - that launch is no longer free and will start charging a fee this summer to launch there

When hitting the river across from City Winery is Bridge House Tavern and Restaurant, you can park on the wall for free if you are eating there. It is a little sketchy, with a climb up the ladder to the tables. The food was great and the views are good too.

I still wouldn't consider Chicago "Boat Friendly" but they are getting better. Of course be careful with lake Michigan. The wind changes and your day gets ****ty really quick.
Very informative post, thank you.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:04 PM
Registered

I think Worth may be where the old Crownline group launched for the Chicago Loop Cruise each April.

Edit: Yup, here it is.

http://www.chicagoloopcruise.com/

Last edited by Knot 4 Me; 04-27-2017 at 01:07 PM.