Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
36ft skater and big waves... >

36ft skater and big waves...

Notices

36ft skater and big waves...

Old 10-11-2002, 12:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of teh MANY great things about Skater is regardless of the interior, whether it is a race cockpit or a pleasure, you get the SAME boat! Same bottom, may be a little lighter in race trim, but you can expect the same performance from both. With mild turn key power you will be able to run up to and around 100 mph on 500's with #6's. A turn key package if I ever saw one. The dock side manners and outright sheer performance will astound you. It will run hard in the BIG stuff and not get out of shape and will idle up to the dock with the greatest of ease. Nice thing about them is that they are not excessively heavy either. Relatively speaking, a 36 Vee would likely weigh considerably more making trailering a Skater much easier. A 36 Skater is my DREAM BOAT!

Last edited by Shane; 10-11-2002 at 02:06 PM.
Old 10-11-2002, 01:50 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

My 35 Motion cat makes for a great pleasure boat. Although I do drive at race speeds it is still a pleasure boat. It is hard to slow down when the boat will handle the water so well. That is my idea of pleasure, for others it's a Big V with a cuddy and a blender.
Old 10-11-2002, 02:33 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's a quesion for you guys with those new fangled flyin machines ...
I have an old 39' express cat (love it ) of course it doesn't compare ! I have very little experience in it due to technical difficulties .... When runing 60 or more I never noticed any probelm at all , BUT , The other week on my test run I ran with a 45 sonic cruising at 45mph . MY boat is heavy and at 45 and much less actualy stays on plane very well but I get a good amount of water splashing out of the tunnel ON ME !! It is just a fine mist but I don't like it . I have never gone under 60 before and as I said never saw this problem at any speed up to and over 100.
In the lighter, and more modern design of the skaters ,HOw does this effect them ? Do they also do this ? I am sure they do but under what conditons would it take . If I spend 3 times what I have into my express cat and still get wet ........... Just wondering . Thanks , JOE
Old 10-11-2002, 02:38 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

boot,

my limited experience with an old Shadow cat taught me that those boats require a certain speed to generate lift. My Shadow, at speeds below 70 seemed to fall down off of the air in the tunnel and really drag in the water...problem was, with that old hull, 70mph was WOT!!!

T2x can certainly shed more light on this though...
Old 10-11-2002, 02:41 PM
Registered

At slow speeds, when the boats bounces I get a spray in the face once in a while.
Old 10-11-2002, 02:53 PM
Registered

sounds like a little caugh. There is only one cure, go fast.
Old 10-11-2002, 03:21 PM
ali-cat

Thumbs up

I have a 36 open cockpit Skater. I had a cigarrette . A friend of mine has the new twin step cig. I can tell you that the Skater is a much more comfortable ride and unless you do something really stupid just as safe as any V hull. The boat cruises at 50-60 and it cruises at 90. Other than an occasional tunnel sneeze when you back off quick it's as dry as any V. The freeboard on the open cockpit is only several inches lower than the cig. I' ve been in 4-6's with both boats and in my opinion neither one was a pleasure. It's just a matter of how much banging around you want to take. Bottom line it's a GREAT boat for pleasure,poker runs and anything else.

Old 10-11-2002, 03:39 PM
Uncle Toys

ali-cat - I was fairly amazed on the freeboard issue. At the poker run last weekend, 36Skater’s Skater was sitting at the docks next to Justin’s Apache. I got down on the dock and eyed it across the gunnels. Same height on the freeboards.

Could you expand on your comment, “I' ve been in 4-6's with both boats and in my opinion neither one was a pleasure. It's just a matter of how much banging around you want to take.”

Any other differences you could elaborate on between the V and the Cat would be very much appreciated.

Last edited by Uncle Toys; 10-17-2002 at 09:58 AM.

Old 10-11-2002, 03:47 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Freeboard

The freeboard on the Apache may be similiar to the Skater, but the cockpit depth is much deeper on the cigarette. The cigarette is a stand up boat, the Skater is a Sit down boat.

If I were to run in Poker Runs and just go on high speed runs I would hands down pick the Skater. But I like to travel, spend the night on the boat, and hang out in the cabin so I would go with the Cigarette or the Apache.

The Skater may ever ride smoother because of its air packing effects. I just want a nice cabin with good headroom.
Old 10-11-2002, 03:50 PM
Registered

Panther, You can have everything you want in a Skater 46 Supreme. Tell bill it's time for a raise.

Quick Reply: 36ft skater and big waves...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.