36ft skater and big waves...

Notices

36ft skater and big waves...

Old 10-11-2002, 10:44 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 36ft skater and big waves...

I started this thread to get some good solid input on just how much a 36 skater could handle.

I know their basically the S**T when it comes to speed and handling offshore.

I had a friend ride in one and said it rode like a cadilac in big stuff.
He ran in galveston bay, but I've never seen anything over 6's in it.

How about some owners inputs and guys that have ridden in them.!

Its my dream boat, but I would have to live in it to own it!!

Thanks!!

Shawn

Slow day at the office!!

Old 10-11-2002, 11:29 AM
Registered

I raced a 36 Skater in 00 and 01, Team Tellium for those that don't know. The boat is simply amazing in rough water, the snot of Corpus Christie would wear you out but the boat performed perfectly. In the HUGE swells of Daytona in 01 the boat always flew predictibly even though we had huge air. Sarasota in 01 was also incredibly rough, again nothing unexpected from the boat and it outran everything. The only time we got into trouble was taking a turn a little too tight in key west when the boat spun and rolled, in flat water no less. We spent a lot of time getting the boat dialed in with one of the best in the business, your results may vary.

Corpus 01
Attached Thumbnails 36ft skater and big waves...-htellium.jpg  
Old 10-11-2002, 11:40 AM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Mr Velocity, We saw you in the Keys last year, right after you're incident. Do you still race? I think I have pictures I'll try to dig them out.
Old 10-11-2002, 11:46 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Mr.V.

Were you spinning your props inboard or outboard at Key West?
They are spinning outboard in the Corpus picture.

Give your Dad my best.

T2x
Old 10-11-2002, 11:47 AM
Uncle Toys

mr_velocity – I believe we are all fairly convinced that Skaters are the bomb for racing. However, most of us don’t race. Could you shed some light on the 36’ Skater as a pleasure boat i.e. the non-professional driver taking friends and family for a run in the ocean. What happens if the 3’ seas on the way out, turn big on the way home? Can you slow the thing down and make your way back? What kind of speed must you maintain to operate the boat properly (airpack).

The lake is getting a little boring and we are making more and more friends that play in the ocean. But they all have V hulls. Love my smaller cat on the lake, just not sure yet if there is a cat that will do both for us.

Old 10-11-2002, 11:51 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Uncle Toys!!

Thanks for the help on that one!! Thats what kind of input of looking for!

Old 10-11-2002, 11:57 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

U.T.

We took Gary and Karen Bicker's beautiful "Danger Zone", a 36 pleasure Skater with twin 900 sc's, from Point Pleasant NJ to the NY SBI race in New York Harbor. We had medium to light seas in the Atlantic going up and averaged about 90 mph (cruising)......The seas were downright snotty coming home......solid 4-5's with an occasional "7th wave" just to keep it interesting and give us some big air. It took us 5 minutes longer to return and we averaged about 80.

Nuff said.

THere is NO frame of reference between anything you've ridden in .......and a Skater. Sorry you missed "On The Prowl" at Skaterfest.

T2x
Old 10-11-2002, 12:15 PM
Uncle Toys

Oh T2x, you have no idea how much I have kick myself in the ass for not taking that ride. I remember siting in the STUPID meeting Monday morning, the meeting I took the early flight home to make, thinking - I missed that ride for this meeting?

p.s. Don't want you to get the wrong idea on the other thread, read my last post!

Old 10-11-2002, 12:17 PM
Registered

TX2 is right. Based on my experience on the race course a 36 Skater or better yet the new 40 will be my next pleasure boat.
Old 10-11-2002, 12:22 PM
Registered

Originally posted by T2x
Mr.V.

Were you spinning your props inboard or outboard at Key West?
They are spinning outboard in the Corpus picture.

Give your Dad my best.

T2x
Can't give away all the secrets. Honestly I don't remember which way they were setup for that race, probably spinning out if I had to guess since it was rough. It changed so often I can't keep track.

I'll give John's dad your best.

Quick Reply: 36ft skater and big waves...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.