Notices

Seawater pump

Old 08-16-2017, 05:16 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,047 Likes on 1,357 Posts

where is the hose hooked to when running on the trailer, trying to eliminate things.....is there noticeable difference in water discharge between the two engines at idle.
Old 08-16-2017, 05:28 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure if this is your issue or not, but on a boat I had with Merc 496's when I would change the impellers but not the housing they would not pump well at first, after a few hours the new impeller would get seated in the grooves of the old housing and then they would work fine.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:04 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right now boat is in the water. Pump was ok for a few days then got worse. Probably toast by now. Going to pull the intake hose at pump to see how much water is flowing then plug it to look at impeller. If it's the exterior hose I'll have to wait till I get home from vacation. At alexandria Bay now
Old 08-18-2017, 01:48 PM
Registered

ALL IN. BIG THUMBS UP DUDE. 👍 Pulled the pump it was perfect. No my balls aren't worn out but the springs were, one broke plus they were wearing a counter bore into the plastic balls. I bought new Springs, stretched them out some and put small brass washers between Springs and balls. Obviously you need more water pressure to the engine than the exhaust manifolds. Even with the springs stretched with washers there is still a ton of water heading out to the manifolds. When I get back I'm going to try Springs that are a little stiffer. ALL GOOD NOW, WOO-HOO. Don't think I'm going to make the poker run though. Maybe I can get a spot somewhere and watch them run past.😎 Thank You Folks
Old 08-19-2017, 06:17 AM
Registered

Kinda grey this AM for the Poker Run, but at least it is not raining.

Ken
Old 08-21-2017, 08:32 AM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

Good to hear you've found your issue!
Originally Posted by veloc410
ALL IN. BIG THUMBS UP DUDE. 👍 Pulled the pump it was perfect. No my balls aren't worn out but the springs were, one broke plus they were wearing a counter bore into the plastic balls. I bought new Springs, stretched them out some and put small brass washers between Springs and balls. Obviously you need more water pressure to the engine than the exhaust manifolds. Even with the springs stretched with washers there is still a ton of water heading out to the manifolds. When I get back I'm going to try Springs that are a little stiffer. ALL GOOD NOW, WOO-HOO. Don't think I'm going to make the poker run though. Maybe I can get a spot somewhere and watch them run past.😎 Thank You Folks
Old 08-21-2017, 07:33 PM
Registered

Minxguy, Ken did you make it to the Kingston run? They were taking registrations the day before. I Really wanted to go. But wasn't 100%
Old 08-22-2017, 07:07 AM
Registered

I went over Friday night and Saturday after a brief shower, my neighbor called and we jumped in his boat to shoot over to watch the start.

I then went back home to chase an electrical issue with my boat,

There seemed to be more boats that went by us when we were watching that we saw at Confederate Basin.

The day turned out great for a poker run.

Ken