Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Hurricane Irma vs. Florida >

Hurricane Irma vs. Florida

Notices

Hurricane Irma vs. Florida

Old 09-17-2017, 09:32 PM
Registered

Received 460 Likes on 244 Posts

god bless and watch over those who suffered damage or loss to whatever extent.

just got internet service minutes ago.
power went out sunday @ 1926 hrs and came back on friday @ 1716 hrs. 117 hrs and 50 min. total
i ran the genny12 -14 hrs a day, but only powered fridge washer tv and fans
house, boat, truck, not a scratch, a day of raking and power washing it was like nothing happened.

so considering the above info,
it is gut wrenching to see people w/o a house to go to, a way to get there, and maybe not even a job to show up at.
again, god bless anyone and everyone who suffered damage or loss to any extent.

big thanks to all the utility guys who drove in, worked and are still working 16 hr. days, sleeping in trailers and are away from there families.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:02 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by outonsafari
god bless and watch over those who suffered damage or loss to whatever extent.

just got internet service minutes ago.
power went out sunday @ 1926 hrs and came back on friday @ 1716 hrs. 117 hrs and 50 min. total
i ran the genny12 -14 hrs a day, but only powered fridge washer tv and fans
house, boat, truck, not a scratch, a day of raking and power washing it was like nothing happened.

so considering the above info,
it is gut wrenching to see people w/o a house to go to, a way to get there, and maybe not even a job to show up at.
again, god bless anyone and everyone who suffered damage or loss to any extent.

big thanks to all the utility guys who drove in, worked and are still working 16 hr. days, sleeping in trailers and are away from there families.
+1......a decent amount of cleanup but we only lost power for 3 days and had a place to stay nearby with power/cable/internet.

One shocker for me, NO MAIL DELIVERY! 5-6 days with no mail service meant no cash flow for me. Granted I wasn't really spending anything and the first couple days of resumed delivery gave me all the checks I was waiting for the previous week.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:32 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I faired so so. Roof on my house will need some repairs and my florida room roof is trashed. Garage door couldn't hang either. Soffits are a mess as well. But overall happy to have a home that is still livable. It could have been so much worse and I feel for those people down in the keys. Just waiting on the insurance adjuster now. I went 2 days without water and 5 days without electricity. It was freakin hot in the house. Helped all my friends and neighbors out where I could. Also I have since acquired a generator so next go around I hopefully won't lose my whole frig worth of food.

Boat faired fine in the driveway. It took one shot to the nose by some sort of flying debris, but I'll patch the wrap in that spot and you'll never know. It also caught a ton of my roof granules.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:58 AM
Registered

Received 1,328 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by racinfast002
I faired so so. Roof on my house will need some repairs and my florida room roof is trashed. Garage door couldn't hang either. Soffits are a mess as well. But overall happy to have a home that is still livable. It could have been so much worse and I feel for those people down in the keys. Just waiting on the insurance adjuster now. I went 2 days without water and 5 days without electricity. It was freakin hot in the house. Helped all my friends and neighbors out where I could. Also I have since acquired a generator so next go around I hopefully won't lose my whole frig worth of food.

Boat faired fine in the driveway. It took one shot to the nose by some sort of flying debris, but I'll patch the wrap in that spot and you'll never know. It also caught a ton of my roof granules.
You also want to buy a window AC unit for the bedroom.

Makes sleeping much better without power.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:46 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
You also want to buy a window AC unit for the bedroom.

Makes sleeping much better without power.
Man you don't lie there. I finally figured out taking a ridiculously cold shower and then immediately laying down was the only way I could sleep.
Old 09-18-2017, 03:07 PM
dcb
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean Ferry
Tank,
We have additional ins. rider for $15,000 for the screen enclosure, the fence, and tree removal are covered under our home owners insurance, so we'll see..... Docks or any structure over water in Florida is NOT covered.... That why after 2004 'cane season, we stopped looking to move to river front, because those home/docks just get blasted.....
One of the reasons we bought in PGI is the city maintains the seawall - our neighbors collapsed, apparently the only one in the storm. No significant damage to our home, save some cleanup. Lanai enclosure and pool cage undamaged. Power was out three days, will have to clean out fridge but we were very fortunate.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:14 PM
Registered

Received 421 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by dcb
One of the reasons we bought in PGI is the city maintains the seawall - our neighbors collapsed, apparently the only one in the storm.
Several seawalls collapsed in Cape Coral. All of the recent rain made the ground pretty waterlogged, and then when Irma sucked the water out of the canals, there was no longer equal pressure on both sides. The "land" side pretty well blew them out, or forced dirt down below the footer. It is between $25 and $35k for a new one (80' wide). Mine had a bit of erosion so we dug down until we were confident that things are good. All 7 of the supports going back into the yard are in good shape and intact.

We have pretty we'll worked one top since last Thursday, but mostly on pretty minor stuff. We certainly dodged a bullet.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:26 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Just checking in after the clean up and regrouping from the storm. All my best that were affected worse then us, and to the first responders as well as everyone making repairs and helping. Homes were boarded up, we got trees down, shingles off the roof, (I got to get a new roof now, ) but overall we around Tampa area we dodged a cannon ball. 4-5days out of power but I had gen going window AC plenty of supplies so we were prepared (not my first tango with hurricanes) Back to the bilge to play
Old 09-26-2017, 10:03 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Article on Bud and Mary's also mentions Holiday Isle (Post Card Inn) being out of commission 6-12 months:
Islamorada fishermen, marinas struggle in aftermath of Hurricane Irma - Sun Sentinel

Several of the major hotels on the ocean side of the island sustained significant damage and could be closed for months. People won’t come to the Keys to go fishing if they can’t find a place to stay.

Eklund also said that the fishing fleets at the Postcard Inn (formerly Holiday Isle) and Whale Harbor will likely be out of commission longer than Bud N’ Mary’s.

“I’m not just concerned for myself, I’m concerned for the fleet,” Eklund said. “All the guys who fish out of the Postcard Inn have been told that they do not have a place to put their boats for six to 12 months.”
Old 09-27-2017, 03:45 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Key West on the rebound

​​​​​​​Hurricane Irma: First cruise ship retuns to Key West | Miami Herald

https://www.pubclub.com/destinations...canceled-irma/