Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
How much for a FI 500hp I/O package non Merc? >

How much for a FI 500hp I/O package non Merc?

Notices

How much for a FI 500hp I/O package non Merc?

Old 02-05-2018, 12:09 AM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ToMorrow44
It can certainly be done for far cheaper using common, off the shelf parts that are arguably better than what merc is using. To build a very conservative and reliable 600hp BBC based motor is pretty easy. But there’s no demand for it. Everyone wants Mercury for the “resale” or the comfort of knowing you could take it to any Merc facility. Some markets like Socal/Havasu, custom powerplants bring a premium in resale, but that’s rare it seems.
The basis for the original question is a cheaper engine drive package for an OEM application that could possibly get the "everyman" back into performance boating. Do you think theres a price point where a customer might be willing to overlook the "Merc,warranty/resale" thing?
Old 02-05-2018, 08:03 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pullmytrigger
The basis for the original question is a cheaper engine drive package for an OEM application that could possibly get the "everyman" back into performance boating. Do you think theres a price point where a customer might be willing to overlook the "Merc,warranty/resale" thing?
I think its a little like an oxymoron to try to get the "everyman" into boating by removing the resale/warranty/comfort of Mercury. It would take another national company like Ilmor or Indmar who already have a dealer and service program in place to break into the market. Unfortunately, Mercury has a strangle hold on the performance market, thats all people want. Other markets like the wakeboard boats, runabouts, etc., Mercury is struggling as BUP said earlier. I'm not convinced its a price problem as much as its a comfort thing. Theres already engine builders out there putting together turn-key, warrantied engine packages for a fraction of the Merc 1350, but nearly all the DCBs, MTIs, Skaters, Cigarettes are being sold with those 1350s.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:32 AM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ToMorrow44
I think its a little like an oxymoron to try to get the "everyman" into boating by removing the resale/warranty/comfort of Mercury. It would take another national company like Ilmor or Indmar who already have a dealer and service program in place to break into the market. Unfortunately, Mercury has a strangle hold on the performance market, thats all people want. Other markets like the wakeboard boats, runabouts, etc., Mercury is struggling as BUP said earlier. I'm not convinced its a price problem as much as its a comfort thing. Theres already engine builders out there putting together turn-key, warrantied engine packages for a fraction of the Merc 1350, but nearly all the DCBs, MTIs, Skaters, Cigarettes are being sold with those 1350s.
I don't think someone buying a new Skater of MTI qualifies as a everyman but it'd be interesting to see a dealer have two 27/28 ft singles on his floor, identical boats, one with Merc power one non Merc and see how that played out. Same with a twin application in the 35 - 38 range.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pullmytrigger
I don't think someone buying a new Skater of MTI qualifies as a everyman but it'd be interesting to see a dealer have two 27/28 ft singles on his floor, identical boats, one with Merc power one non Merc and see how that played out. Same with a twin application in the 35 - 38 range.
Agreed, my point was more that people are willing to pay significantly more (about double) for a Mercury motor vs something of the same power level & warranty, because its a Mercury. I'd be interested to see that comparison as well. I think the Ilmor 570 is kind of a cool package and good competition for Mercury, it just hasn't caught on.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:26 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Weren’t Brad Smith and Jeff Asbell working on a business plan for this very goal?