Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
How much for a FI 500hp I/O package non Merc? >

How much for a FI 500hp I/O package non Merc?

Notices

How much for a FI 500hp I/O package non Merc?

Old 02-02-2018, 07:20 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts
Default How much for a FI 500hp I/O package non Merc?

This is an offshoot from the "Active Thunder Boat Company For Sale " thread.....IMO the everyman is out of performance boating and I lay much of the blame on Mercury. The price of their stern drive packages are high and after all they just have a GM V8 engine in front of their drive package.. There's other drive options out there namely IMCO, Konrad and Arneson. Id like to see how a non Merc combo would stack up price wise against Merc in the same entry level HP range. I picked the FI 500hp mark because that would do well in a single application, double it and it would do well in a twin and was the performance standard not long ago. Id love to hear from some engine builders and drive manufacture reps.

Last edited by pullmytrigger; 02-02-2018 at 07:24 PM.
Old 02-02-2018, 07:25 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

Also I see Teague offers drives. Are they their own thing or are they rehashed Merc ?
Old 02-02-2018, 07:47 PM
Registered

Received 44 Likes on 19 Posts

The only problem I see with mercury pricing is the bravo junk... if the bravo coin went toward arneson or scx's... there would be ALOT of performance boaters that never got out of the game.

to make 500-700hp is going to cost 10k-20k depending on caliber of internals used but its the headers, trannys ect when added on top... all that stuff is like gold and isnt cheap for good quality.

just tuning EFI stuff can also get expensive. I've spent half what my max machine drive cost just by the time my whippled 540 would idle without fouling plugs

Last edited by PigNaPoke; 02-02-2018 at 09:50 PM.
Old 02-02-2018, 07:54 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 374 Likes on 251 Posts

look at this tread that just popped out !!!

I don't think the hi perf boat market would still be as strong as it used to be just with lower prices on merc stuff. there was a shift in boat style and some or many of them are still using merc powerplant. Of course the OB popularity is in full swing, but they are not half price of In board either. so different style of hull became the demand, such as CC and open bow hi perf and pontoons!

my engine builder said quite often he could built a totally reliable same whatever HP merc does, for a lot less than what merc sticker price is... now, as said and asked before in this tread, let's get the builders opinion on that!

Popcorn time !
Old 02-02-2018, 08:17 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Thats the first thing I thought when I read the article. Hustler built a 39 like 5-7 years ago, I think it was a Rockit? It was at the Miami boat show NEW and advertised NEW with Eddie Young power. What was the list on that boat with Eddie power? Versus Mercury power? Then, what the resale value with Eddie power versus Merc?

If you showcase 2-3 builders they do well and you do well. Could be interesting. Who else is reliable & cost effective other than Eddie though? Not to say Eddie is cost effective but the guy gets RAVING reviews. Just sayain.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:25 AM
Registered

Received 569 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
Thats the first thing I thought when I read the article. Hustler built a 39 like 5-7 years ago, I think it was a Rockit? It was at the Miami boat show NEW and advertised NEW with Eddie Young power. What was the list on that boat with Eddie power? Versus Mercury power? Then, what the resale value with Eddie power versus Merc?

If you showcase 2-3 builders they do well and you do well. Could be interesting. Who else is reliable & cost effective other than Eddie though? Not to say Eddie is cost effective but the guy gets RAVING reviews. Just sayain.
GM will sell you an LT4 for $15k
Old 02-03-2018, 01:38 PM
Registered

Received 188 Likes on 98 Posts

$18,500 for performance marine BBC complete engine. 750HP, 500HP is not enough in a performance boat.

BBC 572 MARINE ENGINE 750HP 4340 STEEL CRANK, H-BEAM, HYD ROLLER
Old 02-03-2018, 02:25 PM
Registered

Received 834 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by SecondWind
$18,500 for performance marine BBC complete engine. 750HP, 500HP is not enough in a performance boat.

BBC 572 MARINE ENGINE 750HP 4340 STEEL CRANK, H-BEAM, HYD ROLLER
For a carbureted motor sure, not bad. But IMO that’s not on the same level as a motor with the brains of smartcraft ECMs.

It seems to me the problem with the shops that try to step out and build something to compete with mother mercury look to mother mercury for where to price their motors and or drives.
Old 02-03-2018, 03:15 PM
Registered

Received 188 Likes on 98 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by IGetWet
For a carbureted motor sure, not bad. But IMO that’s not on the same level as a motor with the brains of smartcraft ECMs.

It seems to me the problem with the shops that try to step out and build something to compete with mother mercury look to mother mercury for where to price their motors and or drives.

Call me old but Smartcraft and ECMs are marketing words that contain overly complex systems that a OEM rep will have to service. I’ll take a well tuned carbed performance motor in a boat all day-everyday. Our previous Mercruiser EFI mill wouldn’t start most Summer days due to vaporlock. Maybe that’s not a fair comparison but the roots carbed blower motor always starts with a bump of the key and then pummels the outdrive.
Old 02-03-2018, 03:55 PM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by SecondWind
Call me old but Smartcraft and ECMs are marketing words that contain overly complex systems that a OEM rep will have to service. I’ll take a well tuned carbed performance motor in a boat all day-everyday. Our previous Mercruiser EFI mill wouldn’t start most Summer days due to vaporlock. Maybe that’s not a fair comparison but the roots carbed blower motor always starts with a bump of the key and then pummels the outdrive.
I know a guy in Mass. that has built 454 carbed blower motors and they run like a dream. not much to build either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.