Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Gas Tank Vent Leak Gas Down Side of Boat. fix? >

Gas Tank Vent Leak Gas Down Side of Boat. fix?

Notices

Gas Tank Vent Leak Gas Down Side of Boat. fix?

Old 02-07-2018, 04:26 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Lightbulb Gas Tank Vent Leak Gas Down Side of Boat. fix?

Has anybody come up with a different style? Where it doesn't run down the side of the boat? Maybe a fitting that sticks out a little further from the side,.mine is flush and doesn't take much for it to seep out in th heat, Yea from to much fuel, But it trickles even when i putting gas in, like the fumes/vapor.I allways have a towel ready when putting gas in.

I don't think a roll over valve like on my race cars would help.Im thinking a loop would make it start a siphon and or fuel puddle in the loop?

Pick with the dual water dump #12 has a extra port, It sticks out alittle, would have to glue in a screen, but it is lower than the original vent foward of it.

Just repainted the hole thing, So I would like try do everything I can to prevent it.

Any ideas,suggestions beside don't fill up

Thanks

Rob

Rob
Attached Thumbnails Gas Tank Vent Leak Gas Down Side of Boat. fix?-img_7709.jpg   Gas Tank Vent Leak Gas Down Side of Boat. fix?-img_7704.jpg   Gas Tank Vent Leak Gas Down Side of Boat. fix?-img_7690.jpg  

Gas Tank Vent Leak Gas Down Side of Boat. fix?-img_3383.jpg  

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:02 PM
Registered

Amazon Amazon
Old 02-07-2018, 05:44 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would try the loop all the way to hatch if necessary.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:15 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I put a T fitting in the overflow hose and ran a hose from that into a 1 gallon plastic gas container. That way when the fuel comes up the overflow hose it goes into the overflow can instead of down the side of my boat.

I don't leave the container in the boat at all times only when filling it, or when it's sitting in my garage.

I have a screw on cap on the T fitting for when I don't have the container hooked up to it.

Last edited by Revd Up; 02-07-2018 at 09:19 PM.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:32 AM
Rob
VIP Member

I think the "Attwood fuel vent line surge protector" would be for the splash/surge of fuel coming out when filling up? Mainly its just the seeping,

The boat sits level when fueling on trailer,parked its nose up so gas is pushed back toward rear of tank where fill hose and vent hose it,sitting in the sun making the gas swell slowing making it trickle out the vent

I guess I could make a puke tank, like a old fuel filter w/ head like whats on the motor, but with a bigger filter and a drain cock.

ive got room to go higher and longer on vent hose too

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:21 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

i've had this prob on nearly every boat I've owned. I was thinking of adding a catch tank in the vent line near the end of it, maybe a petcock that could be run back to tank so it could be drained after fueling. Either that or an external fitting that i could add a length of hose to and just drop in a gallon fuel can during fillup. Its an age old prob thats for sure . . . . .
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 02-08-2018, 09:50 AM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

The catch tanks are a good idea, and a bad idea. Fumes when you forget to take it out, ect. being main problem. I would just build a vent that has a negative edge that is past the side of the boat. The boat has a natural draft in going down so as long as it was not windy it would just drip off the negative edge and clear the boat. in your pic where there is one that sticks past the edge it would still just run back down itself onto the boat. You would need a negative edge to keep the surface tension from pulling the fuel back to the paint.

Do you just need one vent? What size hose? How thick is the hull? If I have the size of fitting you need I will just make you something that would work and send it.

Last edited by BigSilverCat; 02-08-2018 at 09:56 AM.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:22 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

ATT 16746 Attwood 16746 Stainless P-Trap Fuel Tank Vent - Fuel Tank Vents

also if you look at what the marine gas catalyst fuel / fuel tank system design they do not have issues with fuel leaking. They use the P trap as well

they use diurnal valve and a anti spit back back valve.

Diurnal has to do with day and night temps changes.

Last edited by BUP; 02-08-2018 at 11:57 AM.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:46 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

I had one boat with this problem but it was minor.......my roadrace car does it all the freakin time! With that one I added a "T" in the line that dumps the excess fuel in the line out the back bumper (obviously not an option here). However what I learned was that the line would get a low spot in it and trap fuel mid-line so that it would cause a siphon effect next time fuel/heat were introduced. Make sure you blow that line clear if it has a low spot anywhere along it's run. Like stated, it should loop up as absolutely high as possible then out with no low spots.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:51 AM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

Something like this would be easy to make and would not drip fuel down the paint. It looks kind of like the one you posted a pic of but a slight down turn in the piece of tube so there is a negative edge for the fuel to drip off of.
Attached Thumbnails Gas Tank Vent Leak Gas Down Side of Boat. fix?-fuel-1.jpg   Gas Tank Vent Leak Gas Down Side of Boat. fix?-fuel-2.jpg  

Last edited by BigSilverCat; 02-08-2018 at 11:57 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.