Notices

First Lust!

Old 03-31-2018, 08:40 PM
Registered

Received 110 Likes on 32 Posts

Ran into a guy up at Burt Lake a couple summers ago. He ended up with a Liberator named Special K. Cool boat from town back in the day. There were a few other Liberators on the lake, but that one stuck in your head. Spoke to him last week about the street show for Boyne Thunder. He sold the boat, but said he would contact the new owner. I know that boat made people want a cool boat around here for several years. Even if it is a little rough, I think the local people would get a big kick out of seeing it. Yes, that was one of the boats that caused me to blow a lot of money boating.
Old 03-31-2018, 09:03 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by sprsptr
OK Folks - Thought it would be interesting to reflect back to the moment in time you knew you would be involved in offshore boating, and what particular brand and model got the juices flowing. For me, it was summer of 1985, I was cruising Cape Cod in my brand new Wellcraft Nova II with twin 300 Tempest's. At the time, It was pretty potent, 63 - 65 mph and really quick off the line. I rolled into Hyannis Harbor and was immediately thunderstruck when a new Cigarette 38 flatdeck came through the 6 mph zone heading out. I whipped the wheel around and shadowed it out to give them a go. Of course, my Nova smoked him from the start, but as we cleared the breakwater outside the harbor, he blew on by in 4 footers as I was pulling my sticks back 'cause we were getting abused. Saw the boat frequently that summer and got to check it out. Twin 400 Cyclone's, TRS drives.White hull and deck with red and black "hockey stick" stripes and the big #1 sticker. It was racked at Hyannis Marine, and I believe sold new by them as they were a Cigarette dealer back then. It was magnificent! Fast forward 33 years and Hyannis Marine will not even consider my Tiger or any other "go-fast" for a summer slip. They don't want the feedback from the "Noise Nazi's". So, let's hear your stories!
probably because they dropped a 42 from the top rack when it was put back on the rack without power, wicked nose heavy that way and have to be strapped to the lift if so.
Old 03-31-2018, 11:04 PM
Registered

Received 84 Likes on 20 Posts

Somewhere in the late 80s a fiend took me out on his 24ft SeaRay cruiser. Only ever been on a tin boat before. Beautiful hot sunny day, we drop anchor, swimming ,drinking, our girls sunbathing topless. Im liking this ****!! But SOMETHING was missing. Not too long after that some sort of a 24ish Baja and a red Donzi Black Widow rolled by at about 35 mph I was entranced by the sound of their exhaust thought they were super cool. HORSEPOWER!!! that was what was missing! From that day on......well between that day and Miami Vice lol
Old 04-01-2018, 04:26 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My dad influenced mine. The man has always been my idol from the time I could walk even up to this day. He used to have old wooden century inboard with thru hulls. The Coronado was a 427 chevy and the Arabian a 427 Ford. Both sounded great, but his cousin had the fast jet boat with the 454. Dad with 3 young kids sold the wooden boats and bought a maxim open bow and put a 350 mag in it. It was a 65-68mph baja crusher on the river. He bought me the donzi 22 poster and had it on the wall for years. We would always watch offshore boats go up and down the river. I liked them all, the speed the noise, and the looks. Then I bought my first donzi 16ft and was able to give it to him once I bought my 22. Then to top things off the 242 formula I grew up looking at from the local boat shop that the was the owners I was able to buy and now I have my 2 dream boats from my childhood. Just growing up listening to the big blocks and then getting the speed bug.
Old 04-01-2018, 05:06 PM
Registered

Received 878 Likes on 476 Posts

I grew up in South Florida. I can remember as a kid crossing the Oakland Park bridge and looking at the 2 dozen Cigarettes rafted out at Shooters. Of course we would never go there but the boats were there! Back then the ICW was not very speed restricted and you could frequently hear the big boats roaring down the ditch long before you could actually see them.

A few years later in Boca I would see Roger King (King World Productions, produced Jeopardy/Oprah show) get picked up at the dock in his 47 Fountain (Double Jeopardy was the name). He lived on the ICW in a huge gated estate but kept the boat at a marina down the street so someone would pick him up at the dock. There were a few Cigs/Sonics/Fountains around and with fuel at $1 a gallon there was no shortage of guys using them. A 50 Meteor was kept in Lake Boca by a guy that owned the hotel it was docked at and that thing was really over the top with triples!

Shocking thing for me to learn, the boats really weren't eye watering fast like today's boats are but they were sure cool both on TV (Miami Vice) and out on local waterways.

Hands down the 35 Cafe Racer was the hottest boat on the water for me. The dimensions were perfect and the name was simply cool. Fast forward to 2002ish, my wife's uncle bought a house across from where Pale Face (47 Apache) was kept on a lift. Sure the 10-15 million dollar yachts were showstoppers but that 47 Apache firing up was the baddest thing on the canal. I eventually met the owner (Michael F) and years later caught a ride on another Apache of his in the Bahamas.
Old 04-01-2018, 07:46 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Huh?

Originally Posted by Unlimited jd

probably because they dropped a 42 from the top rack when it was put back on the rack without power, wicked nose heavy that way and have to be strapped to the lift if so.
Is that for real Unlimited? Did they really drop a boat?
Old 04-01-2018, 07:53 PM
Registered

Really cool stuff, a lot of love based on the rumble of big inboards and sexy posters! Love it, keep it coming.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:56 PM
Registered

Received 361 Likes on 207 Posts

For me I was very fortunate to grow up with fast boats since I was born... When born my dad had a 17' Kona with an outboard.... Around when I was 5 he bought a brand new 18' jet boat with a 454. It was love at first site! The big engine sticking out, the rumble of over the transom headers, and the rooster tail did it for me. It is funny to think that was our "family" boat. 2 kids, my parents, and a small dog would go out every weekend on it. 10 years later my dad was ready to move up. We were really limited with places to boat. Family was getting bigger and it was the right time. He found a 24x7 Python Vector... That opened up our world to boating in sandusky bay and around the islands on calm days. This is when I really started seeing the boats that made and impact. The select few are...

1. The Irritator: A 35' Cigarette Mistress that was racked stored at Venetian. The name was killer. I loved seeing it roar past cedar point while playing on the sandbar. It was just awesome!
2. Night Moves: Same boat as above.. A 38' Cigarette Flat Deck. We used to see the boat come and go out of the Harbor in Sandusky. At that time it was stored on a lift at the end of one of the finger docks. Later it did get rack stored at Venetian. I will never forget driving accross Cedar Point causeway and seing it get on plane. Just a super awesome boat.... Whenever I hear Bob Seger I still go back to seeing that boat...

Those boats all started it for me... and my pops. While we had a "mini" cig, We dreamed of having big one. We eventually did with a Mistress and a Top Gun. Ever since then I have loved the boats with the number 1 on the side...

I cant leave out my love for Apaches. There were 3 that I saw and still think are sweet even to this day..

1. Lenny's 41, Team Apache. The memory that really stuck was seeing the picture of it hanging in the old McGarveys whenever we would stop in. Ever since then I really loved that boat.
2. Alter Ego: A 41 Apache. Only saw it once! Snapped a pic for evidence. Never saw it again until OSO came along.. That thing was sweet.
3. Stillwater: A 41 Apache that was in the boat house right by the entrance to Venetian. Never seen it ran. Just by luck we were idling down the canal. I saw that big Indian head! The cover was off and I could see the gold dash bezels... I was never really hip on the colors but man did it look classy!!

I guess seeing those boats are why I have my little Apache Scout.... Someday when my kids get older I will jump up in size. I still dream of owning a big Apache or Cig. Just need the right boat for the area we boat.. Most of the lakes I go to I could see a 30 spectre being super fun.... Who knows... All in all this stuff is my passion!!! It really is the only thing I like...

Jr.
Attached Thumbnails First Lust!-apache-ad-2-1.bmp  

Last edited by J-Bonz; 04-01-2018 at 10:14 PM.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:08 AM
Registered

Nice pictures J, I love the "tower of power" Merc on the Kona, it reminds me of the 16' Wriedt Spoiler I had with a 150 Merc on it. Land and Sea hydraulic jack plate, and propped to the max, a real handful as she chine walked her way to nearly 70 mph! Then I discovered Hydrostream's. My 18' Viking with a Black Max 200 was light and crazy, she would run low 80's, and was the fastest thing in Lewis Bay in 1980. A year later, a Bud shows up with a 16' Rabco tunnel (a splash of the Magnum Missle) with a worked over 2.4 Merc.The scariest thing I have ever been in, it would touch 100+ if you had the courage. You would have to trim it in to get it to plane off, trim it out to around 90, and then trim in slowly to keep it from blowing over as she ran up to the ton. Damn, those were great summers on the Cape!
Old 04-02-2018, 09:56 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,172 Likes on 511 Posts

Well, duh!

First Lust!-miami-vice-boats-stinger-p1.jpg
Name:  mv8.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  41.3 KB
First Lust!-scarab.jpg

I have a picture of me somewhere as a kid, sitting on the Scarab on Michigan Avenue, while it was on an 18-wheeler trailer for a "Stars of Miami Vice" tour. I was probably 12.

Attached Thumbnails First Lust!-miami-vice-boats-stinger-p1.jpg   First Lust!-scarab.jpg  
Attached Images  

Last edited by Sydwayz; 04-02-2018 at 09:59 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.