Boat Pulls Hard Left Under Acceleration >

Boat Pulls Hard Left Under Acceleration

Notices

Boat Pulls Hard Left Under Acceleration

Old 05-31-2018, 10:40 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by 14 apache
You may need to re clock the propellers on boat I have herd about this but I have no experience with it.
Clocking being off does not cause a pull with a BIII.
Old 05-31-2018, 01:35 PM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts

When they are properly clocked though they are a tad smoother .
Old 05-31-2018, 02:14 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Clocking being off does not cause a pull with a BIII.
We clock all twin props we have feed back all the time that the boats handles better in turns and some will say, better on plane times and some will say it seems faster - some report 1 to 2 mph faster as well.. never has one boater mentioned the boat is worse by clocking the props. Actually it can also be called timing the props or phasing the props I am talking about easily over 2000 twin prop apps here for over 20 years . Of course not all owners claim anything but the norm is always positive results feedback.

Last edited by BUP; 05-31-2018 at 02:19 PM.
Old 05-31-2018, 02:22 PM
BUP
Banned

Will add thou have never seen twin props being the alone cause of a boat pulling to one direction whether they are timed / clocked / or not. .
Old 05-31-2018, 02:26 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by BUP
We clock all twin props we have feed back all the time that the boats handles better in turns and some will say, better on plane times and some will say it seems faster - some report 1 to 2 mph faster as well.. never has one boater mentioned the boat is worse by clocking the props. Actually it can also be called timing the props or phasing the props I am talking about easily over 2000 twin prop apps here for over 20 years . Of course not all owners claim anything but the norm is always positive results feedback.
You could sure come out here and teach a few of these so called 'mechanics' a few things. The 2 I run are the only ones I've ever seen timed properly .
Unfortunately I can't make any claims though other than smoothness as they've always been so close that I can't say anything about speed or handling benefits .
Old 05-31-2018, 02:26 PM
BUP
Banned

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain

Quite possible. My ‘93 has the old style. Just resealed it last week do to the seal wear leaking ps fluid. It now has a very slight creep to it that I will need to adj. since the adj nut gets removed during the rebuild. I thought it was during my research that I read that the new one came out in ‘94????? Just pointing out that he may have the same actuator and condition.
I think your assessment of the steering pin is more likely though
You are correct - the newer steering actuator came out in 1994 year models. It was called ANTI FEEDBACK and had a new aluminum hosing for better corrosion resistance. I was thinking at first it was 1991 but going thru the years in my head I remembered it was 1994 for what you are talking about. 1994 was it 4 sure.
Old 05-31-2018, 03:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
I've owned 3 different Bravo III equipped boats and not one of them, whether new or used, had the props properly timed when I received the boat. I first learned of it running my first new boat which also was my first Bravo III boat. I decided to read the Merc manual that came with the boat one night and there was a section on prop timing. Funny, it did not reference the Bravo III. Instead, it referenced the Blackhawk. Regardless, I timed the props on all three boats and ran all three boats both ways. Only one of the boats did I feel it made any difference on. The other two you couldn't tell any difference in handling or speed. Still, it drives me nuts anytime I see a Bravo III with the props not timed as it takes no more time to put them on correctly vs. incorrectly.
Old 05-31-2018, 04:38 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
I've owned 3 different Bravo III equipped boats and not one of them, whether new or used, had the props properly timed when I received the boat. I first learned of it running my first new boat which also was my first Bravo III boat. I decided to read the Merc manual that came with the boat one night and there was a section on prop timing. Funny, it did not reference the Bravo III. Instead, it referenced the Blackhawk. Regardless, I timed the props on all three boats and ran all three boats both ways. Only one of the boats did I feel it made any difference on. The other two you couldn't tell any difference in handling or speed. Still, it drives me nuts anytime I see a Bravo III with the props not timed as it takes no more time to put them on correctly vs. incorrectly.
Are we ever on the same page ! Before I had the B3 I already knew about timing the props on the BH and automatically did the same for the B3 . Then it turns out to be the right way.
I too cringe every time I see them out of whack .
One other thing that irks me is when mechanics overlook the dings and bends on a set of B3 props falsely thinking that it's only a 'cruiser' or something like that and it doesn't make much difference.
I can assure everyone that it's even more critical that DP drives have props in perfect condition at all times and that includes clean , fouling free blades as well .
The tiniest grunge on the blades or a slight bend make a huge difference in efficiency.
Old 06-01-2018, 07:03 AM
Registered

I learned early on that BIII props are also notorious for being unbalanced and having the pitch all over the place right from Merc. My first set in '99, the forward prop was so bad the guy said "I wouldn't even know how to balance it". I think he was exaggerating a bit but you get the point. I used to use Bronson Hill to balance, true pitch, and polish all my BIII propsets. Once they went out of business and BBlades came along I've been using Brett. I've always seen noticeable differences before and after having my propsets worked.

The boat that I noticed the most difference on in correcting the timing was the lightest and fastest of the three, had a pad bottom, and had the highest drive height in relation to the bottom of the boat. The heavier, slower, deep drive placement, true vee's at the transom didn't seem to be affected as much by the timing being off.

Last edited by Knot 4 Me; 06-01-2018 at 07:12 AM.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:00 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shift the fat chicks to the middle of the boat. Next questions, please.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.