What motor do I have here? >

What motor do I have here?

Notices

What motor do I have here?

Old 06-04-2018, 09:18 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

look closely at the spark plugs since you are taking them out - look for rust, and metal and so forth on the spark plugs, I would do a compression test as well since the plugs are out. This can tell you which way to go about spending money or not ?

What does your motor oil look like and the dip stick - Any rust on the dip stick ?

Next I would pull the flame arrestor off the carb and look at the carb -- open the throttle plates (WOT) and look down with a flash lite - any rust ? and any rust in the intake manifold.

If you have a good inspection camera that would be good to look into the spark plug holes and down the intake to see the condition. Just saying
Old 06-05-2018, 07:07 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok guys,

I had a little time before dinner tonight to mess with the boat and I found a few things. One being what I think is the serial number on the block which should provide the answer to my original question.

I found some strange screw/bolt stuck in the side of the exhaust mani which I thought was strange.

I found the the throttle only opens full when in reverse, I believe due to the mounting location, and probably 85% of the way in forward. I haven’t thought of a solution to this yet other than maybe raising the throttle lever to give more space. I’d like to hear your opinions on this.

Forward full throttle poition. Only around 80% open

Reverse full throttle position. Fully open

I got a chance to look at 3 of the spark plugs before coming inside for the night. I haven’t looked these up yet to see if they’re correct for vortec
heads but they didn’t look very long.

Old 06-05-2018, 07:28 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That number ending in 880 is a casting number, not a serial number. You have an L-31 Vortec block. Hecho in Mexico from 1995-2000. Should have all the provisions to be a roller motor. Pretty common crate motor (ZZ4). Good news is, it’s a 5.7 (or maybe a 355 if it was bored), one piece rear main seal, could be a 4 bolt main.

Last edited by Speedracer29; 06-05-2018 at 07:36 PM.
Old 06-05-2018, 07:41 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

the throttle cable is a 33c, so its threaded at each end, it will take some tinkering, but you should be able to adjust ot so the carb opens all the way. the throttle was made to work with that cable,.
Old 06-06-2018, 02:48 PM
Registered

I found some rotten wood so that has distracted me from the engine a bit but I did find this on the block.

Old 06-06-2018, 03:03 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

thats the serial # ^^^^ those plugs look to be gaped around a 1/8 of an inch, electrode is about gone
Old 06-06-2018, 03:59 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

just saying that is not the Mercruiser engine serial number - Merc never has a 1M for a engine serial number but they do have more current apps NON carb engines at 1A. serial number.

Do not use use Iridium spark plugs in carb app engines because most of the gaps are .065 pre set at the plug manu. Those Denso come pre gap at .065 out of the box - too wide for carb apps.

for Vortec heads using long reach plugs NGK BPR6EFS . These are for Vortec heads inwhich uses the 8 bolt intake manifold - 4 per side bolts.

if your transom is rotted you might want to rethink all this.

Not to sound like a bad guy but I was going to say either that boat is taking on water or was a storm boat or both cause of all the very heavy corrosion. . Sorry man. you might want to have someone look at this before you keep throwing money at it forever. I know not calling you out but really might want to start having a real indepth look at what you bought from someone whom knows what to look for. . Good luck with it.

Last edited by BUP; 06-07-2018 at 05:57 PM.
Old 06-06-2018, 04:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
just saying that is not the Mercruiser engine serial number - Merc never has a 1M for a engine serial number but they do have more current apps NON carb engines at 1A. serial number.

Do use use Iridium spark plugs in carb app engines because most of the gaps are .065 pre set at the plug manu. Those Denso come pre gap at .065 out of the box - too wide for carb apps.

for Vortec heads using long reach plugs NGK BPR6EFS . These are for Vortec heads inwhich uses the 8 bolt intake manifold - 4 per side bolts.

if your transom is rotted you might want to rethink all this.

Not to sound like a bad guy but I was going to say either that boat is taking on water or was a storm boat or both cause of all the very heavy corrosion. . Sorry man. you might want to have someone look at this before you keep throwing money at it forever. I know not calling you out but really might want to start having a real indepth look at what you bought from someone whom knows what to look for. . Good luck with it.

Thanks for all the help BUP.
The rot I found was the small bulkhead in front of the engine. I ripped it all out and everything under the floor and stringers looks good to go and the transom is hard as a rock.
I tend to agree with you that this was a hurricane boat from Irma last year as I know she was fully restored in 2014 and this amount of damage seems absurd otherwise.

The good news news is I’ve only got about $3500 invested in her total so far so I’m comfortable pressing forward, for now.
Additionally, I got a quote over the phone today from a marine restoration shop to replace all the stringers and bulkheads for $3000 so even if the whole boat got redone I think it’s a good boat for $6500... I think
Old 06-06-2018, 04:40 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Let me clarify my post, that is the GM stamping #, I know its not the Merc serial # tag as pointed out by MR. K I A
Old 06-06-2018, 04:54 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Originally Posted by Romeomikehotel
Additionally, I got a quote over the phone today from a marine restoration shop to replace all the stringers and bulkheads for $3000
Excuse the french...What ? H O L Y F U K !

From where ? Nicaragua ? Lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.