OSO verses FB and other social media

Notices

OSO verses FB and other social media

Old 07-10-2018, 11:33 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Wally
never been on any social media sites like FB or the like....i figure i waste enough time on here i don't need much more time wasted elsewhere!
And i've never really seen the value in FB or any other of those sites....my step kids have accounts and all i see is constant stupidity.....i mean do i really care what someone had to eat last night! WTF!? I jokes at one point with the kids that someones gonna show the turd they dumped in the toilet next....they both laughed and said they have seen it or done it all ready!!! this society is seriously going down the tubes!
Heck I don't want my wife knowing what I'm doing half the time let alone the rest of the world!
Old 07-10-2018, 11:33 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I spend too much time here and basically here only. I have been asked and some current customers even ask me why I am not on iboats and few other sites. This site is enough for me persay to talk about my interest of sportboats and repairs of the boats themselves. Plus OSO prob is the busiest sportboat forum period.

I stay up here because I have seen the sportboat world just dwindle down to a small portion of boating including my area really has nothing for a sportboat community. That really bothers me not seeing and working on true sportboats like in the past volumes. Its down to about 10 percent sportboats come in for service compared to the past was easily 60 percent in the 90 s thru mid 2000's. I really miss the good old days of the sportboat world. I guess you can say OSO is my fix for sportboats. Kind of reliving the past persay for me would be a true statement.

I met the owner of OSO way back in 2001 or 2002 at one of the APBA races ? If I recall his name was Steve ? Anyways He told me who he was and that his website was displayed on alot boats running around for the races. I would lurk on this site for years but was always way too busy to spend time posting and so forth. This is how I found out about OSO 17 / 18 years ago. Anyways thats my story

Last edited by BUP; 07-10-2018 at 12:09 PM.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:51 PM
B38
Registered

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Hey Bup, how are things with you.
you mentioned 17-18 years ago. What member number are you. Us ole timer's are farting dust now. Lol
​​​​​​
Old 07-10-2018, 04:30 PM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

OSO is much better than FB. Such a vast amount of info here using a google search. FB is just a highlight reel - wife and I post there sometimes, but it's not everything to us.

I've met (in person) several great people that I've chatted with through OSO.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:32 PM
Registered

Received 4,314 Likes on 1,241 Posts

Of course you`re not going to get much pro facebook people on this thread, they`ve left the politics, deletion of threads, sponsor whining and censorship here behind and are enjoying facebook and about 1000 more threads a day. If you think facebook is about people posting what they had for dinner then you`re not using it correctly or know where all the good groups are.
Lots of boating groups, tons of swap shop pages, there`s something for everyone and no mods running around deleting good threads. Who wants to have a discussion just to have it deleted because some sally got butthurt.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:59 PM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

I don't do FB or Twitter. Never have. I've been here since Jeffrey built it as a place to sell his boats LOL. Can't tell you how many life-long, quality, friendships that have started right here. I've had people show up at my house from all over the world that I"ve met on here because of the simple common passion for this sport.

This arena is pretty small and there's only so many events. If you get out at all you're going to run into people on here over the years. As ironic as it sounds, this place is not as anonymous as a place like FB. I think that kind'a helps the decorum if you will of respect for each other. Doesn't mean sh!!t talking doesn't happen here, because as you know, there's definitely times it does, it's just not as common. The BS to Quality ratio is tilted in favor of the quality here where as it's the opposite in other places. I think the bottom line is the depth of available resources here is unmatched. Always has been, always will be.

Last edited by thisistank; 07-10-2018 at 07:03 PM.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:23 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
Of course you`re not going to get much pro facebook people on this thread, they`ve left the politics, deletion of threads, sponsor whining and censorship here behind and are enjoying facebook and about 1000 more threads a day. If you think facebook is about people posting what they had for dinner then you`re not using it correctly or know where all the good groups are.
Lots of boating groups, tons of swap shop pages, there`s something for everyone and no mods running around deleting good threads. Who wants to have a discussion just to have it deleted because some sally got butthurt.
I consider myself pretty well educated on FB and I fail to see any coherency to the posting or groups there. And the search ability of specific info is no comparison to here at OSO.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

Been here since the start , lurked for about a year before joining. I have a Facebook account ,I go there once in a blue moon , and I would never put my life on the internet for everyone to see like so many Facebook people do...
Old 07-10-2018, 11:17 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

I have my own (5) static websites, Been owners and slave to a couple forums over the years (down to just DMRS today). Really think "social media" will be the downfall off us all.....if we are not all killed in our cars by people checking their bookface status first. I would rather deal with a drunk on the road then a soccer mom with a cell phone but that's another story for another time. I truly believe that some people shouldn't be herd. When you post on a "forum" you have to post something relevant, interesting and be respectful or you will be ignored. "Social Media" it has to be shock and outrages. Look at me, Look at me. Everyone has to one up the last guy. I joined forums like this to learn stuff. Social Media makes you dumber. Most of it is fake anyway. Look how pretty I am …..if the light is just right and the camera is this way and my a$$ is hidden …..To me is nothing but people trying to show their a$$ so I have never had facebook or tweeted anything ever.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:14 AM
Registered

Received 54 Likes on 24 Posts

I've been on Facebook for about a year and I'm stunned at the level of stupidity and nonsense that I see. I joined to get more info on boating primarily, but find OSO has a much richer background of information. I do worry, as after being here about 10 years, no question the volume on OSO is in decline.

I hope OSO does not fade away and leave me with FB!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.