Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Hydraulic steering leak (steering problem) ????????????????????? >

Hydraulic steering leak (steering problem) ?????????????????????

Notices

Hydraulic steering leak (steering problem) ?????????????????????

Old 08-06-2018, 10:41 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Hydraulic steering leak (steering problem) ?????????????????????

New to me boat (diesel 400ss) with a strange steering problem.

In order to keep the boat running straight I have to continually adjust the wheel clockwise. In a 20 min run I must have rotated the wheel 10 complete revolutions. I also noted what appears to be a small leak under the helm of an oily residue. Unfortunately we were leaving the boat 1.5 hrs away for a family gathering so really didn't have time to investigate further.
Old 08-06-2018, 01:10 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

What’s the helm? Capilano? Sea Star? Given the fact that it may be leaking, I’d check fluid level first, hoping it just needs a fill and bleed..... but because it’s drifting, if it’s not low on fluid, suspect a stuck check valve or the ram bypassing internally.
Old 08-06-2018, 01:15 PM
Registered

http://www.seastarsolutions.com/wp-c....L-165025L.pdf
Page 15 for filling/purging instructions (assuming it’s a Capilano).
Old 08-06-2018, 01:37 PM
Registered

Hynautic fill/bleed instructions... I’m guessing, but this may be the system used in your Formula.

http://www.hypromarine.com/userfiles...ne%20bleed.pdf

Last edited by Speedracer29; 08-06-2018 at 01:43 PM.
Old 08-06-2018, 02:39 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

It's a Seastar unit. Wish I could "tinker" with it during the week but the boat is just too far away.
Old 08-06-2018, 02:58 PM
Registered

My SeaStar helm on my last boat leaked from the seal at the steering shaft. The seal is easily replaced with a steering wheel puller and Phillips screw driver, but you’ll need the helm model number to get the seal. Still, if it’s low, you’ll probably have to bleed it to get the drifting to stop.
http://www.seastarsolutions.com/wp-c...5/200017-B.pdf

Troubleshooting section also talks about pulling the big plugs on the back side of the helm to clean the check valves to cure drifting.

Last edited by Speedracer29; 08-06-2018 at 03:13 PM.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:19 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Speedracer29
My SeaStar helm on my last boat leaked from the seal at the steering shaft. The seal is easily replaced with a steering wheel puller and Phillips screw driver, but you’ll need the helm model number to get the seal. Still, if it’s low, you’ll probably have to bleed it to get the drifting to stop.
200017-B.pdf

Troubleshooting section also talks about pulling the big plugs on the back side of the helm to clean the check valves to cure drifting.
Thanks for all the help. I talked to a guy in the area that plans to go down Wed and check it out. He too talked about some seals that often wear out/leak and likely need to be replaced. I plan to go down Thurs evening but am supposed to make a 80 mile run on Friday AM. I hate paying people to fix stuff but I can see that will start to happen with my boat 90 miles from my house.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it does not appear to stop (when turning) it;s usually a stuck valve inside the helm. You can try to jamb it real hard when you first feel the stop and sometimes it unsticks, mine does this and I am planning on getting a rebuilt one from boat steer.

Where did you end up keeping it? I'll look out for you around hampton roads,
Old 08-06-2018, 08:25 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Pete280
If it does not appear to stop (when turning) it;s usually a stuck valve inside the helm. You can try to jamb it real hard when you first feel the stop and sometimes it unsticks, mine does this and I am planning on getting a rebuilt one from boat steer.

Where did you end up keeping it? I'll look out for you around hampton roads,
I've had the boat 10 days. It's at Windmill Point for the summer but not sure for next year. We ran across the bay this weekend and rotated the wheel 12-15 entire clockwise rotations over 20-30 min to keep the boat tracking straight. Never felt it "lock" going either direction but didn't try it going to port. Steering to port was crisp......starboard takes 3X the wheel input.

We're supposed to run to Smithfield station friday afternoon/evening, then run to Hampton docks Sat evening to meet a large group this weekend. Otherwise not sure I'll be in H.R. the rest of the year.
Old 08-07-2018, 04:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just looked it up, looks like a cool spot , definitely secluded up there, probably a nice ride over to Cape Charles.

Check out boatsteer.com, my guess is the valve in the helm that locks full STBD is stuck open, Sea star will not sell full rebuild kits they have to be done at a factory authorized shop.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.