How do you take the salt off the prop? >

How do you take the salt off the prop?

Notices

How do you take the salt off the prop?

Old 08-09-2018, 11:15 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was thinking it was a by product of cavitation, see it on my buddies boat from time to time. We boat the same waters but his boat is very prone to slippage at certain speeds, electrolysis makes sense too
Old 08-10-2018, 07:05 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Wobble
I was thinking it was a by product of cavitation, see it on my buddies boat from time to time. We boat the same waters but his boat is very prone to slippage at certain speeds, electrolysis makes sense too
I agree, look at the deposit pattern, if it was "junk" in the water the whole prop would be uniformly coated, as well as your drives and hull. I don't think this is a simple deposit issue, something more complex going on here. But of course, I have no scientific basis for that, just a general observation, maybe a call to a prop expert might turn up something?
Old 08-10-2018, 08:14 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,126 Likes on 476 Posts

I thought cavitation burns were more like 'pitting' on the propellor and normally occur in small areas rather than all over.
(Quick Google found the picture below)
Also, cavitation damage actually burns into the prop and therefore won't clean off. If the op can clean/polish this off, then I don't think its cavitation related.

Old 08-10-2018, 10:48 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rak rua
I thought cavitation burns were more like 'pitting' on the propellor and normally occur in small areas rather than all over.
(Quick Google found the picture below)
Also, cavitation damage actually burns into the prop and therefore won't clean off. If the op can clean/polish this off, then I don't think its cavitation related.

that's a jet ski impellor and that's an extreme case, my prop has always wiped clean (if I even bother) and I boat fresh, brackish and salt.
Old 08-10-2018, 12:30 PM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts

I think a simple subject is morphing into some kind of rocket science. It's really dead simple.
Even though you see this in brackish and sometimes fresh water around the waterline it's more a calcium/lime deposit in those situations . The salt water has exacerbated the problem but it's not salt that you see on the prop.
It's to a degree a lime/calcium issue but contributing factor is that the unit has been in the water long enough for the Zinc (ok , aluminum) anodes to start doing their thing and you're seeing deposits on the prop because of this electrolytical action .
As has correctly been pointed out already a light acid bath makes them vanish instantly without any effort . No worries , it's dead common . Been cleaning up this stuff for more than 40 years .
Old 08-10-2018, 03:01 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Vinegar really is good for something.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:23 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Gosh you guys are exhausting with your replies. Just take it to the clam flats and do some excavating, nice and shiny again!
Old 08-10-2018, 08:09 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by madbouyz
I think a simple subject is morphing into some kind of rocket science. It's really dead simple.
Even though you see this in brackish and sometimes fresh water around the waterline it's more a calcium/lime deposit in those situations . The salt water has exacerbated the problem but it's not salt that you see on the prop.
It's to a degree a lime/calcium issue but contributing factor is that the unit has been in the water long enough for the Zinc (ok , aluminum) anodes to start doing their thing and you're seeing deposits on the prop because of this electrolytical action .
As has correctly been pointed out already a light acid bath makes them vanish instantly without any effort . No worries , it's dead common . Been cleaning up this stuff for more than 40 years .
I’be seen this on mine when in the water after a couple of long days at sandbar or overnight. A good hard run would clean some off and the dishwasher gets the rest.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:49 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 372 Likes on 250 Posts

Guys! Vinegar works!

wednesday night i tried to clean them and did not work
left them in water overnight
thursday morning following your replies, i added vinegar in my water, 30 minutes later i tried to clean them, no difference even witn rag, brush ...
discouraged i left them in that same water overnight thinking friday would be the day!

so i checked late this morning and... brand new props! Just like before! Without even have to work on them!

thanks for your replies!!!
Old 08-11-2018, 09:09 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff32
Guys! Vinegar works!

wednesday night i tried to clean them and did not work
left them in water overnight
thursday morning following your replies, i added vinegar in my water, 30 minutes later i tried to clean them, no difference even witn rag, brush ...
discouraged i left them in that same water overnight thinking friday would be the day!

so i checked late this morning and... brand new props! Just like before! Without even have to work on them!

thanks for your replies!!!
Costco sells vinegar by the gallon for a couple bucks. It works great on exhaust tips too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.