Received 1,193 Likes on 518 Posts

My reaction to 2nd Post:
Oh. Dear. God!!!!
Old 08-10-2018, 09:33 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

Innovation is the best!

They did fantastic work on my Donzi and they are amazing with their engine and mechanical work!
Old 08-10-2018, 10:09 AM
Registered

Received 742 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
My reaction to 2nd Post:
Oh. Dear. God!!!!
I would have vomited into bilge making for a more unpleasant cleanup!
Old 08-10-2018, 10:39 AM
Registered

Received 1,317 Likes on 735 Posts

Potter is back there now isn't he?
Old 08-10-2018, 11:29 AM
Registered

Received 67 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
Potter is back there now isn't he?
Yes, he is. His fingerprints and influence is on everything.

They have a steady stream of military work. They are installing an entirely new dyno set-up; separate rooms for gas and diesels.

Quite an operation they are running.
Old 08-10-2018, 12:21 PM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

Looks beautiful! Btw, what caused her to blow?
Old 08-10-2018, 07:41 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Top notch shop approach, love the attention to detail. God, I threw up in my mouth a little after that "void " picture. I have some Zul's in my boat, hope to never open my hatch to that!
Old 08-11-2018, 10:01 AM
Registered

Received 67 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Marginmn
Looks beautiful! Btw, what caused her to blow?
It’s totally my fault. Any other time, I would’ve shut her down well before she blew. During our run from downtown Tampa to the Skyway bridge, I noticed the oil pressure pegged for a small bit of time. After 3 miles before teh bridge, we all stopped to prepare for the calendar shot coming through the bridge. Opened the hatch and checked her over, but didn’t detect anything. Again, if we weren’t going for the calendar shot, I would’ve taken it easy and prepared to stop completely.

Once all the boats staged, the green light was given. Everyone planed off and headed towards the bridge at between 50-60mph. My oil pressure wasn’t pegged, but it dropped suddenly and the buzzer went off. This is the point where the seal around the oil filter failed and pumped the oil out. Again, being in the moment, I went for it. I figured the lower RPMs and strain on the engine might get me a few miles, then shut her down. I gambled and was wrong.

We aren’t sure what cause the oil pressure spike. It is assumed there was either a blockage or the pressure relief valve failed. Regardless, those parts and possibilities were replaced in an abundance of caution.

I’m sharing these details because I don’t want anyone thinking there is a problem with Zul engines or even my ability to maintain them. I take full responsibility for what happened. (The pain and anguish in my sack while trying to make the photo was close to unbearable.) We all know to watch our gauges and be proactive before all hell breaks loose. I got cocky and gambled. A very expensive lesson was administered. But I did take the opportunity to do some other updates and modifications to both engines.

She is running like a raped ape now. Just had a 3-day detail done. Everything is dialed in and the new, lobbed props from BBlades are on. She’s ready for the next fun run or poker run.

Old 08-11-2018, 05:22 PM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Poker Face Xtreme

It’s totally my fault. Any other time, I would’ve shut her down well before she blew. During our run from downtown Tampa to the Skyway bridge, I noticed the oil pressure pegged for a small bit of time. After 3 miles before teh bridge, we all stopped to prepare for the calendar shot coming through the bridge. Opened the hatch and checked her over, but didn’t detect anything. Again, if we weren’t going for the calendar shot, I would’ve taken it easy and prepared to stop completely.

Once all the boats staged, the green light was given. Everyone planed off and headed towards the bridge at between 50-60mph. My oil pressure wasn’t pegged, but it dropped suddenly and the buzzer went off. This is the point where the seal around the oil filter failed and pumped the oil out. Again, being in the moment, I went for it. I figured the lower RPMs and strain on the engine might get me a few miles, then shut her down. I gambled and was wrong.

We aren’t sure what cause the oil pressure spike. It is assumed there was either a blockage or the pressure relief valve failed. Regardless, those parts and possibilities were replaced in an abundance of caution.

I’m sharing these details because I don’t want anyone thinking there is a problem with Zul engines or even my ability to maintain them. I take full responsibility for what happened. (The pain and anguish in my sack while trying to make the photo was close to unbearable.) We all know to watch our gauges and be proactive before all hell breaks loose. I got cocky and gambled. A very expensive lesson was administered. But I did take the opportunity to do some other updates and modifications to both engines.

She is running like a raped ape now. Just had a 3-day detail done. Everything is dialed in and the new, lobbed props from BBlades are on. She’s ready for the next fun run or poker run.

Dam I hate to hear that. Long time ago I changed the oil in both 525's in my Fountain but forgot to check and make sure that the rubber seals came off with the old filters. It idled through the no wake zone just fine but as soon as I tried to get it on plane the filter with two oil seals let go and there was oil everywhere but in the engine. Luckily the alarm went off with the pressure drop and I shut it down before it did any damage. That is something you only do once Beautiful boat. Glad she's running great now.