Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Marine technician jobs lake Ozark >

Marine technician jobs lake Ozark

Notices

Marine technician jobs lake Ozark

Old 09-22-2018, 08:19 AM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

I live in Tampa Fl and keep a small boat here and a 50 Ft Boat in Ft Lauderdale area . Boat has twin Volvo D12 675 hp Diesels in it. When I bought the boat I was given an Estimate to change the oil and filters on both engines and transmissions including Fuel Filters. 1800.00 Wait for it..... EACH...3600 total.. This boat has the quick change oil system that sucks all the oil out of the engines for you and pumps it into whatever containers you want. Granted it holds 10 gallons of oil . I bought The best synthetic oil I could buy and volvo filters. About 600 in parts and oil. Took me about 4 hours due to oil filters being a ***** to get off and it has 2 filters on each motor. That price did not include the 6 pack I drank while doing it....lol.. Not sure what their tech would have got paid but I figure I made out at 750.00/HR....lol...

Chris
Old 09-22-2018, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

Auto mechanic - Heated/A.C shop, raises car on hoist to change oil.
Boat mechanic - Outside in hot sun, folded up in bilge like a Swiss Army knife to change oil, filter mounted so it leaks onto engine and into bilge during removal.
Old 09-22-2018, 09:59 AM
Registered

Received 791 Likes on 373 Posts

This is always a sensitive subject...on the other hand; shop owner has a lot of overhead (I.e. building, electricity, training, front office, taxes, insurance, tools, etc). They need to make money too. Not saying they can’t afford to pay more...but overhead is a lot on a specialty shop. We aren’t talking a typical brick and mortar.

Guess ill I’ll be sticking to my engineering career...
Old 09-22-2018, 12:15 PM
Registered

Received 293 Likes on 107 Posts

Collision business is alright , 50%flat rate and turn hours and you make a decent living , Always said mechanics really do get the short straw as most are in debt to the tool man because you have to have so many specialty tools , sockets , etc . Family member has every certification through dealer and ASE 27 years only gets 28.50 flat rate which is bull**** ,has well over 60k in tools .. Dealer rate is $120 a hour.

Now , what is a real racket is the RV body repair ....wait for it.... $165.00 a hour here in Lafayette la.. I talked last year about a position and wanted to offer me such a absurd low rate just laughed right there in the interview.. 10% of advertised rate... they wonder why nobody wants to work for them..
Old 09-22-2018, 12:35 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 1MOSES1
<div style="text-align:left;">This is always a sensitive subject...on the other hand; shop owner has a lot of overhead (I.e. building, electricity, training, front office, taxes, insurance, tools, etc). They need to make money too. Not saying they can’t afford to pay more...but overhead is a lot on a specialty shop. We aren’t talking a typical brick and mortar.<br /><br />Guess ill I’ll be sticking to my engineering career...</div><div style="text-align:left;"></div><div style="text-align:left;"></div>
<br /><br />

I will totally agree, and to run a real boat dealership takes alot of land and alot of wasted space as well. The insurance to run a full blown boat dealership one might as well just stay home. You have to be covered FOR EVERYTHING - one is your lake testing and lake testing with strangers daily. You are hauling boats in very heavy traffic at least in my area so something is almost always going to happen with the many idiots on the roadways.

Next is the boat shows hundreds upon hundreds of people climbing all over your boats from babies to old people and of course the con players with the slip and fall cases. One can have the safest working place in the world but it seems working on boats as a real business, you have to have workers comp Ins as well, the list goes on and on for expenses.

Even for a medium size boat dealerships --- even a small boat dealership in a major market - one has to pull down easily 6 figures to just break even. Major markets the land is so high to buy and or even rent. Super high .

In my area the electric bills are super high as well. Its only a 6 to 7 month season when the surrounding are very good anyways --- meaning --- no flooding -- no drought --- no high gas prices - not super hot outside temps with very warm water temps -- boat loans super impossible to get for the average USA families and so on. But I have survived and had all of this for the past 11 years, Way too many outside factors that one has no control over owning a boat dealership. Forms of weather seems to be hugely in the mix more so than EVER.

Last edited by BUP; 09-22-2018 at 12:40 PM.
Old 09-22-2018, 01:32 PM
Registered

Received 893 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
<br /><br />

I will totally agree, and to run a real boat dealership takes alot of land and alot of wasted space as well. The insurance to run a full blown boat dealership one might as well just stay home. You have to be covered FOR EVERYTHING - one is your lake testing and lake testing with strangers daily. You are hauling boats in very heavy traffic at least in my area so something is almost always going to happen with the many idiots on the roadways.

Next is the boat shows hundreds upon hundreds of people climbing all over your boats from babies to old people and of course the con players with the slip and fall cases. One can have the safest working place in the world but it seems working on boats as a real business, you have to have workers comp Ins as well, the list goes on and on for expenses.

Even for a medium size boat dealerships --- even a small boat dealership in a major market - one has to pull down easily 6 figures to just break even. Major markets the land is so high to buy and or even rent. Super high .

In my area the electric bills are super high as well. Its only a 6 to 7 month season when the surrounding are very good anyways --- meaning --- no flooding -- no drought --- no high gas prices - not super hot outside temps with very warm water temps -- boat loans super impossible to get for the average USA families and so on. But I have survived and had all of this for the past 11 years, Way too many outside factors that one has no control over owning a boat dealership. Forms of weather seems to be hugely in the mix more so than EVER.
that says a lot of it. one car not being worked on does not take a lot of space. one 40 boat waiting for parts, etc. eats up a ton of money in space. as for the traffic, from what I saw on the news this morning it looks like there in Dallas area you can just back it into the parking lot and go for a ride. did you get flooded where you are?
Old 09-22-2018, 01:38 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

My dad was a boat mechanic after he was discharged from the service and after about ten years his body was a mess from jumping in and out and crawling around the things. By time he was done paying the snap on truck there wasn’t much left for us.

As a a business owner of a small construction company myself, when people ask what I do for a living I answer, “Mostly subsidize insurance companies, deal with paperwork, and try to avoid *******s.”

Everybody wants a deal. Everybody wants it done yesterday. But nobody helps when times are tough (slow season, no unemployment help should the business go under, liabilities) except unless you’ve been blessed with great clients.

Its tough on both ends.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:45 PM
Charter Member #737
Charter Member

Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Camalot
I was just looking at marine technician jobs in lake Ozarks and see the wages are super low at around $25/hour max. I live in Canada and was just googleing for shiz and giggles that would be hard to live off. Is that the average wage for a tech in the USA.
Plus you need to pay for health insurance here.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:49 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

depending on where you work as a marine tech, their may be more to the story than just an hourly wage. I am a merc certified tech working for a big name dealer chain. We have a regular hourly pay plus we get a montly bonus based on our efficiency. So don't be quite so condescending towards those of us who "only make $25/hr"
I would love to make more money, but I actually started out building boats for minimum wage and have worked my way up. I never planned to be a marine tech but its where I am today. I am better at building boats and setting them up, but I do enjoy the challenge of diagnosing problems (even when it frustrates me).
The only guys out there that probably make a respectable pay for turning wrenches are those that have their own shops. While Id like to have my own shop, its really not a feasible option for me.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:08 PM
Registered

Received 791 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by obrien
depending on where you work as a marine tech, their may be more to the story than just an hourly wage. I am a merc certified tech working for a big name dealer chain. We have a regular hourly pay plus we get a montly bonus based on our efficiency. So don't be quite so condescending towards those of us who "only make $25/hr"
I would love to make more money, but I actually started out building boats for minimum wage and have worked my way up. I never planned to be a marine tech but its where I am today. I am better at building boats and setting them up, but I do enjoy the challenge of diagnosing problems (even when it frustrates me).
The only guys out there that probably make a respectable pay for turning wrenches are those that have their own shops. While Id like to have my own shop, its really not a feasible option for me.
dont think anyone was being condescending. Atleast I wasn’t. Techs work there ass off and it’s hard on the body. I respect them for that which is why I’d stick with the engineering job...sitting on my ass. I for one think they should be getting paid more but I get it because owners need to make money too. Tough business to be in...or everyone would be doing it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.