Real World Outboard Cat Experience Please >

Real World Outboard Cat Experience Please

Notices

Real World Outboard Cat Experience Please

Old 10-09-2018, 02:01 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Southbrook
Thanks again, it's good to hear honest opinions. A little more info on us, we have 2 kids, 15 & 22. I think our cruiser was boring for them, I'm looking for a boat that will hopefully keep them interested & want to hang out with the parents a little bit longer.
My kids rode in my old 28 at LOTO and Destin and all over. At that age they have friends that also want to ride but it only seats five. When I went to the the six person seating 308 with windshield they were all in. Now my wife and I had the front and each kid could bring a friend. It was a game changer. During one pokerun my daughter did not want anyone to pass us. She’s a little competitive!
Old 10-09-2018, 03:58 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by edelectra
My 32 doug wright don't hop at all. My 28 skater used to hop in mid range .
If you miss the hop, I might consider a trade.
Old 10-09-2018, 05:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, based on everyone's responses, it sounds like in the average conditions where I boat (2's - 3's), my wife won't hate it. I guess my next step is to go try out some boats.... I'm looking to spend mid 2's to 3, so either a used skater, etc. or a new spectre. I'm sure I'd have more choices on the used market in a few years, but I'm not willing to wait that long & give up that time with my kids. Wrap around windshield & 4 seats across the back are a must. Anything else I should be looking for? Thanks.
Old 10-09-2018, 06:16 PM
Registered

Received 68 Likes on 24 Posts

Good aluminum trailer so you can tow it to other locations, poker runs, vacations, etc. You are welcome to fly out here and drive mine in SF Bay but its NOT for sale!!
Old 10-09-2018, 06:37 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I would encourage you to take a look at Sam’s boat and then ride some others. I do not think you can beat what he has for the money versus what the newer models will cost. I know the MTI and DW are both close to the 400k mark.
Some of the new 308’s wide body version also sold for over 300k. Not sure on the pricing of the spectre, fountain, predator or sonic.
Old 10-09-2018, 06:45 PM
Registered

Received 68 Likes on 24 Posts

I've never seen Sam's boat in person but sure looks nice in pics. Sounds like its dialed in and ready to go. Seems like a very fair price.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:09 AM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by QWKRN U
I own a 32’ Fountain cat. We boat at lake of the Ozarks. I went from a 36’ Spectre cat and have no regrets as far as ride is concerned. Our lake varies in conditions from mild chop to very rough. Rough is always a personal perspective thou. My wife says she enjoys the 32 outboard just as much as the 36 I/O boat. We have ran the boat for some time now and carrying on a conversation at 80-100mph is no problem. The back seat passengers can discuss as well but they do have to speak up to be heard. Everyone that has ridden with us comments on how the boat rides like a much larger boat. Less wind noise does allow you to hear the water slapping the hull a little more and enjoy the views more while running around. The typical true tunnel porpoise of most cats isnt a Issue on ours. It seems trim makes it disappear. Something my other boats had issues with 60-80mph. This boat you can pretty much pick any speed to cruise at. If you get the chance ride in as many as you can. Not sure if you are wanting to go new or go used. The new options definitely have lots to choose from and on many different budget points. If you are gonna go new , take a trip to Lake of the Ozarks. You could set up demo rides in at least 3 different brands here. MTI, WrightPerformance, and the fountain.

Agree with wayne’s Comment as I got to spend the day in his fountain cat a few weeks back. I was most impressed with the boats manners in bumpy water. At 75-95mph the boat feels really solid and never gives you that flighty feeling. At one point in some bumpy water we walked past a sonic that was getting tossed about while we were going 20mph faster and having a conversation.

One other nice thing about the fountain is the fact that you can walk around the windshield when docking. It sucks climbing over a windshield each time you park.

I normally boat in my 36’ Apache which is a tank and I was shocked at the how stable and safe the fountain cat felt even north of 100mph.

Lastly, the fuel burn was silly low. On an all day fun run the cat burned 1/4th-1/5th the fuel I would of burned in my apache and we cruised 20-30mph faster than I would have ran my boat.

I would definitely try and test all of them if I was you but to me the fountain seems like the most bang for the buck.

http://www.fountainpowerboats.com/mo...series/32-cat/

Last edited by baywatch; 10-10-2018 at 07:13 AM.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:13 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Double Rigged
I lI know the MTI and DW are both close to the 400k mark.
Some of the new 308’s wide body version also sold for over 300k. Not sure on the pricing of the spectre, fountain, predator or sonic.
From what I saw while shopping

Wright performance is $430-450k
MTI is $425k
Fountain is $319k
Spectre is $280k
Sonic not sure no one had any info
predator same as above

Old 10-10-2018, 04:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've talked to Spectre & MTI. I am going to call Wright, Mystic, Fountain, Skater.... I have no problem with a year or two old, but I know most of these are pretty new models & there aren't many (if any) used ones around. I need to schedule test rides soon - I do not want to be without a boat for next summer, so if it's a build, the time crunch is on. On the Fountain, it looks like the cockpit is narrower, which allows you to walk on the sides to get to the bow, but does it limit it to a 3 seat bench? That would be a deal killer for me...

Thanks again, all of the responses have been great.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:44 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Double Rigged
I would encourage you to take a look at Sam’s boat and then ride some others. I do not think you can beat what he has for the money versus what the newer models will cost. I know the MTI and DW are both close to the 400k mark.
I have ridden in Sams's 30 flat deck Skater and agree with DR. It is a great value. I would own it if it would fit in my dock!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.