Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Your best trick to remove blue plastic plug when both ears broken >

Your best trick to remove blue plastic plug when both ears broken

Notices

Your best trick to remove blue plastic plug when both ears broken

Old 10-14-2018, 11:26 AM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

The aluminum Bravo drive is not in question, nor is SS to Aluminum, were talking cast iron, SS and brass

The plug on the V6 intake (assuming VP) is removed every year for winterization, the plugs we are discussing have brass adapters which the plugs screw into the block, cooler, exhaust, other locations. The brass plug on the V6 is also NPT and the plugs are coarse machine(1/2-13). NPT must be tightened with a wrench due to its tapered thread, machine does not due to straight threads and the O ring

And yes there are several new remans being offered with SS core plugs, just depends on the rebuilder

Last edited by AllDodge; 10-14-2018 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10-14-2018, 11:47 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I brought the bravo 3 up because you and the chart say its the least corrosive for being a dissimilar metal. Not the case --- so the Bravo 3 was a great example of corrosion issues because of the added SS (prop).

The reason why a Bravo 3 promotes more corrosion is because of the SS ( the extra SS prop). Just making a point about dissimilar metals and what can happen -- Would you agree with the point I am making here for an example against SS ?

Mercruiser V6 CARB INTAKE manifold has the drain plug the exact same as Volvo (they are same exact intake manifolds cast iron ). If you get a chance put a SS drain plug in those cast iron intake manifolds and you will see down the road how hard it is to get out compared to the BRASS DRAIN PLUG. dissimilar metals - the darn SS drain plug almost is welded in there. I promise. Another example were I would have to disagree with that SS causes next to no dissimilar metal corrosion.

I would like see a Marine OEM engine with SS core plugs -- keep in mind Mercruiser has to cover a 3 year WARRANTY on everything against corrosion, They use Brass core plugs.

Last edited by BUP; 10-14-2018 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-14-2018, 12:19 PM
Registered

Again were not talking about SS and cast iron, the discussion is SS to Brass
Old 10-15-2018, 12:01 AM
BUP
Banned

Originally Posted by AllDodge
Again were not talking about SS and cast iron, the discussion is SS to Brass
Bingo the discussion is SS to brass --- so AllDodge let me get this straight but first here is 2 pics of totally 100 percent brass pumps, These are 2 of the most installed pumps since 2001 thru 2016 for OEM Mercruiser that use blue plastic drain plugs .. So what you are telling me that one is better off installing SS plugs in all 100 percent brass pump rather than brass drain plugs or plastic drain plugs -- you got to be kidding correct - so what you are saying that 100 percent brass pumps promotes more corrosion because of dissimilar meters from in
stalling brass drain plugs into brass housing than SS drain plugs in brass - You can not be serious really ??
Old 10-15-2018, 12:17 AM
BUP
Banned

here is the other 100 percent brass pump with 2 blue drain plugs - the most installed pump from 2001 thru 2016 from OEM Mercruiser . The 496 as well, the cat engines as well anything with a bravo 2001 and up black side Mercruiser --- so again your saying SS drain plugs are better to install in brass pumps rather than brass drain plugs installed into brass or plastic installed into brass ? What I am talking about is SS into any other metals can promote dissimilar corrosion. You are not going to promote dissimilar metal corrosion Brass installed brass nor plastic installed into brass. So finally would you agree with this ???
Old 10-15-2018, 08:02 AM
Registered

I agree that SS and Brass have a minimal interaction and also this is not enough to cause a major issue. Issue is marginal and would take a very long time