332 boats in the classified s >

332 boats in the classified s

Notices

332 boats in the classified s

Old 11-12-2018, 12:03 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hotstang46
100% agree......unless they start making outboards that sound nice I/O sport boats will always exist. Nothing like a strong V8 or V10 with pipes start up. It's like a tesla or a v twin bike with stock pipes. It's just hard for me to get excited without the sound, it's one of the biggest things for me.
Mercury has an outboard just for you. Even has a cutout to let exhaust out the midsection. Available in 14-16 weeks if you order one today.

Last edited by Speedracer29; 11-12-2018 at 12:09 PM.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:18 PM
GRH
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
the site will be totally changed in less than 10 years. It will be outboard related and CC boats or totally gone. . I/O s boats will be non existing especially I/O sportboats. Majority members here -- own 15 to 32 year old sportboats currently. The members are aging and so are the boats. At some point in time many boat owners will not find it wise to keep pouring money in 25 to 45 year I/O sportboats.

I have been dealing with this same exact issue year over year from I/O rec boat owners and 4 sure the sportboat owner.. Their boats are getting older and older. The wakeboard boat owners - they are the only ones buying brand new boats about every 4 to 10 years, trading them in to get the latest greatest wakeboat. This has been the norm and growing numbers for the past 11 years from the wakeboard crowd. The sportboat crowd has been declining hugely year over year..

Less than 10 years from now USED sportboats will be extremely had to find for sale because 11 straight years nothing has been newly made. .
Same thing was said about 10 years ago about Outboards.... their dead everyone predicted.... just goes to show what goes around comes around.....
Old 11-12-2018, 12:26 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

when the new tech outboards start breaking down and they will in due time. These engine, the latest 4 strokes and systems are not do it yourself friendly period. For one - owners can not hop online and buy from rock auto nor auto parts store for parts. These engines will have to go to a trained dealer for proper repairs and buy ONLY the OEM related parts. The OEMS and dealers are hugely over joyed with these set ups because it completely takes out the do it yourselfer and internet parts buyer.

Next - If one would look at the MANY service bulletins that the verado s had since intro - it was many from lower unit failures, many FSM issues, power head bolts breaking, steering issues, SC issues and so on and so on. Of course many got iron out as time goes on but they all still have issues and will down the road. They do have good warranties and one reason for that is because OF THE MANY OUTBOARD MANU's - there is about 10 outboard manus if not more when one counts the smaller hp outboards. Competition -- NOT like the I/O manus inwhich is ONLY TWO - Mercruiser and Volvo and thats it for the gas side.

Propshaft breakage has been the latest talked about issues for Verado's. Outboards are not failure proof period. They still require huge fuel system maintenance, fuel injectors maintenance, cooling related service, oil and filter changes and so on.

Last edited by BUP; 11-12-2018 at 03:24 PM.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:36 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
when the new tech outboards start breaking down and they will in due time. These engine, the latest 4 strokes and systems are not do it yourself friendly period. For one - owners can not hop online and buy from rock auto nor auto parts store for parts.........Outboards are not failure proof period. They still require huge fuel system maintenance, fuel injectors maintenance, cooling related service, oil and filter changes and so on.
All facts, but they completely eliminate being contorted upside down in a bilge, and more importantly, no “pink vs green antifreeze” debates. That second one will be to the benefit of mankind as a whole.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:59 PM
Registered

Received 1,325 Likes on 739 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
when the new tech outboards start breaking down and they will in due time. These engine, the latest 4 strokes and systems are not do it yourself friendly period. For one - owners can not hop online and buy from rock auto nor auto parts store for parts. These engines will have to go to a trained dealer for proper repairs and buy the ONLY the OEM related parts. The OEMS and dealers are hugely over joyed with these set ups because it completely takes out the do it yourselfer and internet parts buyer.

Next - If one would look at the MANY service bulletins that the verado s had since intro - it was many from lower unit failures, many FSM issues, power head bolts breaking, steering issues, SC issues and so on and so on. Of course many got iron out as time goes on but they all still have issues and will down the road. They do have good warranties and one reason for that is because OF THE MANY OUTBOARD MANU's - there is about 10 outboard manus if not more when one counts the smaller hp outboards. Competition -- NOT like the I/O manus inwhich is ONLY TWO - Mercruiser and Volvo and thats it for the gas side.

Propshaft breakage has been the latest talked about issues for Verado's. Outboards are not failure proof period. They still require huge fuel system maintenance, fuel injectors maintenance, cooling related service, oil and filter changes and so on.
Don't know if you missed my question about the wake board motors and how well they seem to be holding up? I see PCM offers a 5 year warranty.

So how the heck can outboards run without closed cooling and no issues? Salt water is salt water.
Old 11-12-2018, 01:48 PM
BUP
Banned

Alot of outboards have to be pulled away from the transom to be worked on for room. Sometimes its a must for steering cable replacement even for single engine apps. removing the outboard away from the transom. Even pontoon boats single engines at times because the room is poor but NOTHING like I/Os very limited room.

IMO stag I/Os are great to worked on. Twin or more outboards can be limited room to work on. I really do not work on outboards but prob can hold my own. I work on only about 5 outboards per year. But 2012 and back when I had techs -- we would see about 200 outboards per year. Johnson / E rude - Some Suzukis 2 and 4 stroke - Mercury 2 strokes - very few 4 strokes- alot of Optibombs aka optimax. a ton of Yamaha;s 2 stroke - HPDI - V Max and few 4 strokes. -- Keep in mind 4 stroke outboards really took off sales wise in the past 6 to 7 years. 2 stroke outboards are dead period.

If 4 stroke outboards did not make this huge push and advancements -- I do not believe their sales would be huge like they are currently.

Last edited by BUP; 11-12-2018 at 02:02 PM.
Old 11-12-2018, 01:51 PM
GRH
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

You need to attend Mercury Tech classes just to get the hood off of the new OB's..... they are no joy to work on....and very, very expensive.....
Old 11-12-2018, 02:23 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
Talking

So, soon this site will be called On Shore Only?
Old 11-12-2018, 02:46 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Interceptor
Actually the core Harley crown is getting very old and a life's worth of aches and pains plus the costs of ownership only to ride a few times a year are causing them to leave the market.
My neighbor's dad has bought a new Harley every year for the last 25+ years. Same model (Road King) and from the same dealer. 2 years ago he got a new one and it didn't have a CD player but an IPOD cord and navigation instead. He rode it for 5 months and the next spring he went back to the dealer and asked if his old bike was still for sale (it was). He traded back and took his last years model back (CD player and no navigation). The rear tire was thinner on the new bike, he didn't like that either.

He said he has bought his last Harley Davidson. Now imagine the 40 yr old execs at HD trying to figure out why they have lost all future sales to a very good customer! Now add in the guys that are too old to ride, too cheap to upgrade to a new bike and you will get the picture of why HD is in so much of a slump. Don't get me started on the idea of making the bikes in Asia instead...............that was simply crazy talk!
Old 11-12-2018, 03:06 PM
BUP
Banned

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
Don't know if you missed my question about the wake board motors and how well they seem to be holding up? I see PCM offers a 5 year warranty.

So how the heck can outboards run without closed cooling and no issues? Salt water is salt water.
If one looks at the way they are used - extremely well for holding up. Indmar did their homework. PCM not far behind Indmar. The wake board crowd spend the money regardless - they use the crap out their 100 K to 200 K boats period.

They are used with 1000 to 2500 lbs of ballast - most wakeboats are loaded with people -- 6 to 12 on board. huge towers with speakers all over the place and some with a ton of batteries -- again added weight. -- the engines are lugged around all day with boarders and wake surfers.

The age group whom buy wakeboard boats and again 6 figures price tags range from 32 to 52. This is the norm and MY customer base for these BOATS only - My customer base FOR REC I/Os and sportboats age is 48 to 62 It seems 60 and above age --- most want out of these style of boats. They end up buying bass fishing boats - and or pontoon boats fish N ski style --- both apps with outboards. Or they completely get out of BOATING. This is the huge norm --- they get out of boating completely after owning I/O rec boats and or I/O s sportboats never to return.

Last year I worked on 296 boats.

5 of them outboards --

136 true V drive wakeboats ---

12 true direct drive inboard SKI BOATS -----

27 TRUE sportboats I/O's - single and twin engines. No trip engines. --

24 cabin cruisers 16 with bravos and volvos -- 8 true cabin cruisers inboards -- single and twin engines

3 jet drive boats with basically a hot rod 454 -- one with MEFI 4

89 - REC boats I/Os -- Mercruiser and Volvos.

My area is one of the largest wakeboard buyers / ownerships in the USA and has become many boat service shop MAIN BUSINESS is my point here and the reason for the break down. Inland marine service shops rely on their business. For me thank goodness for the wakeboard boat owners because basically its my main business currently. I do not own a wakeboat period but use to sell them brand new and used. Easy sale for the past 13 years. Before that not as popular

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.