Manufacturer's model length claims >

Manufacturer's model length claims

Notices

Manufacturer's model length claims

Old 12-16-2018, 06:06 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Making a hull where the LOA is longer than the running surface is an age old trick to get higher top speeds. And although Reggie takes a lot of heat for the practice, he's certainly not the only one - nor the biggest offender. Anybody look at an old Hydrostream for instance? Their running surface to LOA ratio makes Reggie look like a Girl Scout.

But a boat that incorporates this design / marketing practice also faces some other challenges. For instance, most marinas charge for dock space, detailing, shrink wrap, etc. based on LOA. So your 44' boat that in reality is more like 40' long will cost you a pretty penny on certain services. Just a thought.
Old 12-16-2018, 07:04 AM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

it all comes down to thorough research and comparing apples to apples for your own end expectations.

Just food for thought, a C5000 Mystic is 50+' from sponson tip to Rudder post (LOA) but the running surface is 43' AND Skater has been giving length and stretch in their model designations... no one questions this but it can be confusing as hell to someone that has a perceived understanding of boat dimensions and looking to fit a new(er) into an existing slip/lift or building opening.
Old 12-16-2018, 07:52 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

Does putting a regular hot dog on a foot long bun make it a foot long ?
Old 12-16-2018, 08:56 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by JaayTeee
Does putting a regular hot dog on a foot long bun make it a foot long ?
Nope, but throwing any size hot dog down a hallway doesn’t really matter anyhow.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:43 AM
Registered

Received 792 Likes on 222 Posts

I bet the DW team doesn't call it a 44 when they go to race it in Super Cat next year with SBI. Funny how it will fit in the class rules of 42' maximum length for the class.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:03 AM
Registered

Received 151 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Skater30
I bet the DW team doesn't call it a 44 when they go to race it in Super Cat next year with SBI. Funny how it will fit in the class rules of 42' maximum length for the class.
So someone is really racing one of these new 44 DWs in Super cat next year? And if they are- to your point Dale, I know that there is a new 438 going to racing in that class. So how does that boat fit in to the class rules?
Old 12-16-2018, 11:14 AM
Registered

Received 1,328 Likes on 741 Posts

I have wondered the same thing about Outerlimits V hulls. I have a picture on my computer somewhere with me in the brustle that goes past me and the number 6 drives.

Thats a big extension.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:18 AM
Registered

Received 792 Likes on 222 Posts

PBC was going to race the new canopied DW40 in Super Cat, but now that they picked up MTI, they're going to campaign an MTI instead. I don't doubt that somebody will pick up the canopied DW40 to run Super Cat with it next year. There would have to be minor changes made to a 438 in both width and length to fit into the Super Cat class as the rules sit right now - 66" max tunnel width and 42' 0" LOA.
Old 12-16-2018, 02:13 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Too Stroked
Making a hull where the LOA is longer than the running surface is an age old trick to get higher top speeds. And although Reggie takes a lot of heat for the practice, he's certainly not the only one - nor the biggest offender. Anybody look at an old Hydrostream for instance? Their running surface to LOA ratio makes Reggie look like a Girl Scout.

But a boat that incorporates this design / marketing practice also faces some other challenges. For instance, most marinas charge for dock space, detailing, shrink wrap, etc. based on LOA. So your 44' boat that in reality is more like 40' long will cost you a pretty penny on certain services. Just a thought.
Unless you have a navy ship or a Wally of course the LOA and the LWL will always be different. It's not a trick, it's just that of a marine hull. Now the beak, bustle, a notch or a long laid out bow is a just a mere manufacturer design. LOA is used in different ways throughout the entire marine industry. Use a 42 for example, Outerlimits, Cigarette, and Fountain. The fountain looks like a toy in comparison but guess what...its a 42... Just marketing gimmicks.
Old 12-16-2018, 02:30 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Before that it used to be the other way. My 24' is not 24 feet long and my 19' is not 19 feet long, et, etc....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.