Manufacturer's model length claims >

Manufacturer's model length claims

Notices

Manufacturer's model length claims

Old 12-15-2018, 05:51 PM
Registered

Received 773 Likes on 219 Posts
Default Manufacturer's model length claims

So who on here agrees with me that this "duckbill" should not be included in the length of the model? Doug Wright is calling their newest model a 44, when in reality, the boat measures 40' when not including the 4' "duckbill" (according to the thread on here that I grabbed these pictures from). Doug Wright builds incredible performing boats, no doubt, but where is the length game that Fountain started in the '80s going to end? If they made the "duckbill" into a "waterslide" that was 10' long instead of 4' long, would they call this new model a 50'? At what point does a non structural/non running surface part of a boat not count when measuring the LOA? My 30' Skater started life with a 28" tunnel extension and 33" deck/sides overrun (making the boat measure 33' total), yet Skater and I have always called it a 30. It still has a 28" tunnel extension (which is actually a running surface at lower speeds) after being converted to outboards, but I don't call it a 32. I personally feel that all boats should be measured from the transom to the tips of the sponsons, period. And I am not in any way saying that this new DW model isn't going to be a great boat, I'm just stating my opinion that the length game so many manufacturer's play is being taken way too far now.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:29 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Dale, I guess the LOA rating has to include everything LOL. I am with you on the actual running surface being the real deal. It makes the top speed of a boat have a bigger impact to the consumer with it being 44’ vs 40’.
Old 12-15-2018, 09:04 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 790 Likes on 257 Posts

I understand your point but LOA does stand for Length Over All. IMO that would include anything from tip to tip.
Old 12-15-2018, 09:06 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 790 Likes on 257 Posts

Also, I don't care what they call it. If that DW performs as expected with TWIN outboards it's a winner all day, every day.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:56 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,172 Likes on 511 Posts

According to the USCG, if it’s molded in as part of the hull/deck/overall structure, it’s part of the boat length, as it pertains to laws for navigational aide and safety requirements. As such, typically the manufacturers follow suit with “naming convention”.

A bolt on pulpit, swim platform, hydraulic swim deck, or even a PWC platform (think cruiser for most of those items) does NOT count in overall boat length according to the USCG.
Old 12-16-2018, 12:39 AM
Registered

Received 773 Likes on 219 Posts

Maybe they should enter one in the Great Race against Total Monster - it's only a 46!
The following users liked this post:
OPS VZLA (06-30-2021)
Old 12-16-2018, 01:20 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

The easiest way to determine the true length is to have a girl measure it, then have a guy measure it.

If the girl says its 30'...

And

The guy says its 50'

Then you do the math and come to the conclusion that the boat is a true 40 footer.
Old 12-16-2018, 01:32 AM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Agreed. I know that Lavey Craft doesn't include the swim step or extension off the back in their length and model designations, they measure from the tip of the nose to where the transom ends at the waterline (running surface).
Old 12-16-2018, 05:53 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For those explaining the coastguard LOA rules. Fine I get that . That's probably on the title and all, but that doesnt mean the manufacturer cant name the model whatever they want based in it's TRUE length.
Old 12-16-2018, 05:54 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Eliminator is adding a 3 ft bustle to the newest 36 speedster they are building but still calling it a 36 speedster

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.