Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
I’ve always wondered about powerboat mechanics >

I’ve always wondered about powerboat mechanics

Notices

I’ve always wondered about powerboat mechanics

Old 02-27-2019, 01:00 PM
Registered

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

I started similar to you. High School / Vocational School Auto Mechanics, started working at a dealer, decided I needed some college, received an Associates in Auto Mechanics (GM ASEP), went on to become ASE Master Certified, worked off semesters at a Pontiac / Nissan store for 5 years. Realized that the top guys were essentially broke (whether from pay or poor spending/credit habits, I don't know). Went on to get my Bachelor's Degree. Did all this by 25 years old. I'm now a Quality Engineering Manager at a Toyota plant (24 years later).

...if I had to do it all over again, I would have worked toward a Mechanical Engineering degree and eliminated some of the time that I was spinning my wheels, so to speak. The automotive (and I assume diesel) industry is hurting for good mechanical engineers with hands on experience - and I perceive will continue to hurt for a long time. We start new grad (engineers) at high $60's.

Good luck and keep asking questions.
Terry

Last edited by ALL_IN!; 02-28-2019 at 07:39 AM.
Old 02-27-2019, 02:37 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Life as a boat mechanic is hard. Good pay can be challenging, work is seasonal, most boats are heaps of neglected crap, and customers can be azzholes and cheap.

But to answer your question, most people who get to play with the cool stuff like Eddie Young, Jeff Harris, and Teague for example, have carved out a niche just by passion and involvement in the sport and building a reputation.

I have friends who are diesel techs and could work 24/7 if they wanted to, and have very nice boats for when they do have time off.

You may do well as a “consultant” for many different shops for when a diesel rig does come in. I’d start building those relationships if you’d like.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:22 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I pay my diesel Mechanic around $125 per hour (when I can get them to show up). I sure the guys twisting the wrench makes $18 - $22. Own the shop, this seems like an easy one...
Old 02-28-2019, 07:29 AM
Registered

Received 131 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by alindquist
Own the shop, this seems like an easy one...
The real answer right there.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:53 AM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

Become a damn good engineer and pay someone to fix your performance boat that you can afford to outgrow
Old 03-01-2019, 08:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It’s a tuff job on the body, working in very tight spots. Spending hours working with your head hanging down in engine compartment. A good back round as auto mechanic going into marine mechanic is a plus as engines are very close. Working for a OEM dealer will get you the best training and updates. I can see why there is a lack people coming into the trade. Pay is not that good for the job. I started out when I was young as an auto mechanic and then marine mechanic. Way back then I could see that this wasn’t going to be the best way to go. So went the civil service route. I continued to work a second job as marine mechanic during my thirty year career. After retiring I went back to full time marine mechanic for another seven years, then said that’s enough of this hanging upside down and trying to get my arms into spots that a finger just about fits. The civil service job left me with a good retirement and medical, not something found to often working as marine mechanic.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:17 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 951 Likes on 479 Posts

If you are already going to UTI then look into moving down to Orlando and look into UTI's MMI (marine mechanics institute) course.

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 03-01-2019, 04:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Interceptor
Probably would be better off working as a certified mechanic in a good auto dealership plus you could still enjoy boating.
yea that’s why I’m choosing to be a Cummins tech. I don’t need a 50 foot cigarette to have fun. I’ll be perfectly fine with a 29’ Scarab and a decent pull truck as well as enough money to put fuel in both.
Old 03-01-2019, 06:14 PM
Registered

Received 1,332 Likes on 743 Posts

These coments make me wonder who will
be working on boats in a few years.

Sad really but sounds like the industry better figure something out. Kind of like the last thirty years when we have been telling everyone not to go into any trades, now try to find half a brain to do any remodeling.

Lucky i I can do it myself still.
Old 03-01-2019, 06:35 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 865 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
Kind of like the last thirty years when we have been telling everyone not to go into any trades, now try to find half a brain to do any remodeling.
My plumber at 45 could have retired years ago.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.