Commentary: The Trouble With Refunds

Notices

Commentary: The Trouble With Refunds

Old 03-05-2019, 08:04 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,234 Posts
Default Commentary: The Trouble With Refunds

Successful event organizing takes commitment on both sides of the transaction. And why should it be any different? https://www.offshoreonly.com/article...e-with-refunds.

From the OSO home page.
Old 03-06-2019, 01:50 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

Does this happen often? Is normally the same people? Just an idea if its a common problem they may want to do like the airlines. Offer a optional extra insurance fee that allows people to cancel. Things do come up in life that are unforeseen last minute.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:16 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

I had booked my spot on the Run for the Cure year before last, and obviously once i got my boat back from the Florida painter I couldn't go. the run filled up quickly and there was a waiting list for spots. I offered to raffle my spot off and all the proceeds to go to the charity, but the event organizers already had the list of waiters so they gave the option to the next person. I never even asked for anything back, the charity was worth it and every little bit helps.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:48 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,234 Posts

Originally Posted by TYPHOON
Does this happen often? Is normally the same people? Just an idea if its a common problem they may want to do like the airlines. Offer a optional extra insurance fee that allows people to cancel. Things do come up in life that are unforeseen last minute.
It happens enough (and has been particularly rough for one organizer this year who is in the process of tightening up the registration process) so that it's a recurring topic of discussion in the American Poker Run Organization Group.

You solution isn't horrible, but most of these organizers handle one to three events per year and—in my view—and an trip-insurance-style refund system would be too much to set up and administrate. But I will forward your suggestion to the group.

For the record, I never buy trip insurance. And I travel a lot.
Old 03-06-2019, 05:45 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
It happens enough (and has been particularly rough for one organizer this year who is in the process of tightening up the registration process) so that it's a recurring topic of discussion in the American Poker Run Organization Group.

You solution isn't horrible, but most of these organizers handle one to three events per year and—in my view—and an trip-insurance-style refund system would be too much to set up and administrate. But I will forward your suggestion to the group.

For the record, I never buy trip insurance. And I travel a lot.
I also never buy trip insurance. But I also know I had the option and didn't take it so shame on me if I cant make it.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:14 AM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

If refunds are offered, the rest of the runners will end up paying for with increased entry fees. Also if you allow refunds, many will check the weather report and if bad will say they can not make it and demand a refund.

Padraig
Old 03-07-2019, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

In my experience, the entry fee is the small percentage of the overall trip. (although I know there are some big entry fees out there).

I say no refunds. It's a charitable event !

...if you really think you can win big money at a poker run / fun run, I'd guess you probably play the lottery too. Good luck with that. The winner is the charity.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:03 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

We have all seen this scenario. Weather takes a dump the night before a run and people drop out due to wind, rain, overcast, etc.. Its not fair to the organizers to have to issue a refund, cancel stop reservations, etc. Its not their fault you aren't able to make the run. There has to be a black and white line drawn which is real simple. Sign up for a run and pay in full, no exceptions no refunds. Get a commitment by participants, the organizers made a commitment. Having deposits with refunds will only cause issues and will eventually shut runs down. This isn't WalMart or Paypal, these are runs for charity.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:46 AM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

I always check what the cancellation policy is before signing up. Asking for an exception is a dick move.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:54 AM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

Just because a person has a big fancy boat doesn't preclude them from being cheap and he's going to take the tax deduction if he goes or stays home.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.