Tabs on lil boats questions >

Tabs on lil boats questions

Notices

Tabs on lil boats questions

Old 04-24-2019, 09:22 AM
Registered

Received 1,834 Likes on 717 Posts
Default Tabs on lil boats questions

Before y’all make fun of me I’ve had a whole bunch of boats 24 foot and less that had tabs on them.

I’m now looking at my 25 Checkmate Convincor project.
It came with old-school Insta trims which I like.
They have solid tab/plates and rams look stout.
They had a clamp on position indicator that are currently inoperable but could be replaced and I like they’re thinking.
Could also adapt alternate rams to those plates.

My issues and questions pertain to, do I install bulletproof K planes so I don’t have to worry about them or Bennett sport tabs that are easier to tune to a small boat?

I had a 24 foot Sonic with Bennett tabs in Lake Erie and broke one of the Rams in rough water at speed.
That lake with that small of boat you need tabs to stay on plane and make it home which means a long ass, ****ty ride back with a broken tab.
I upgraded to their sport tabs which kept everything the same but added a second ram per tab.
Loved them but broke one of them also in similar conditions.
Even though they are redundant a ram failure opens the hydraulic system and drains the fluid so none of the other three tabs work.

On my second 24 Sonic it came with K planes with the MerCruiser trim pump for operation.
I hated the damn things!

Don’t remember size but smallest available and the boat was impossible to dial with those tabs.
If you just tapped a button the motor/pump was so fast it would free wheel past the sweet spot and you were constantly back-and-forth attempting to get correct attitude.
Got screamed at by the Mrs, multiple times for laying a round keel boat on its side!

Any suggestions from real world experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys. Gary
Old 04-24-2019, 10:00 AM
Registered

Received 365 Likes on 209 Posts

So your real objection with the k-planes are the response along with how easy/quickly the nose can get buried. Causing a scary moment...

i was was going to put them on my scout but Two Stroked and you talked me out of it due to them already trimmed up could still contact the water flowing off the back of the boat and cause drag.... I think if I do put tabs on the scout I will go with duel ram bennits/lenco.

For your size boat I would go with them and and indicators... for me I just like burley set ups that won’t break... He k if the ones I have don’t sell, I may put them on. Just gotta GoPro of the back and see how the water is beaking off the back
Old 04-24-2019, 10:07 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 251 Likes on 126 Posts

Just a heads up...if you're looking for bennets I will be listing a set very soon...like tomorrow lol...just haven't taken pics yet is the only reason I haven't yet...dual ram both tabs, pumps, electric gauges, switches the works...haven't come up with a price yet but it'll be reasonable

Back to the thread....I had those above on my 28 heat and they were just a bit small...I had to bury them to get any noticeable difference so I went with 280 k planes...that's all the experience I have lol...this was my first boat I've ever played with the tabs on others I haven't touched them
Old 04-24-2019, 10:41 AM
Registered

I’m interested.
PM me when your ready.

Bonz, the over correction was more the side to side effect at speed.

With my Sonics being around Keel there was no real pad to balance it on so you’re constantly sawing at the wheel, playing with trim, etc.
Anything above 50 it’s was very sensitive to wave direction, wind etc.

I would tap the button on one side to try and level the boat and it would roll it on the chine on the opposite side and scare the hell out of the Mrs.

The ram failures were due to me running a small boat where I needed a big boat.

Both sonics were huge fun in a 2 to 3 foot quartering sea.
WFO, with the motors trimmed up to fly the bow and the tabs down 20 or 30% to keep it from skying and it would just run across the top of the waves.
Orgasmic ride!

Twice a Bennett plastic ram cried uncle under those conditions.

My wife is to the point though that I’d pay dearly for doing that w/her in the boat 😉

Originally Posted by BBYSTWY
Just a heads up...if you're looking for bennets I will be listing a set very soon...like tomorrow lol...just haven't taken pics yet is the only reason I haven't yet...dual ram both tabs, pumps, electric gauges, switches the works...haven't come up with a price yet but it'll be reasonable

Back to the thread....I had those above on my 28 heat and they were just a bit small...I had to bury them to get any noticeable difference so I went with 280 k planes...that's all the experience I have lol...this was my first boat I've ever played with the tabs on others I haven't touched them
Old 04-24-2019, 10:54 AM
Registered

Other than ram failures, I loved the Bennets on the first Sonic.
Very easy to set/adjust.

We had a 22’ Formula and a 21’ Celebrity at Erie for a while and I installed them on both.
I have an onboard video of bringing the Formula home through 5’s w/zero issue.
Key is, w/tabs you can stay on plane at 10 mph.
W/o, required 20 mph which meant coming home off plane.

Side to side compensation for load was a huge benifit also.

I built mechanicals for my 19’ Glastron Carlson and 21’ Laser.
Put then up to fly the bow, down to ski or go to Erie 😉

Originally Posted by J-Bonz
So your real objection with the k-planes are the response along with how easy/quickly the nose can get buried. Causing a scary moment...

i was was going to put them on my scout but Two Stroked and you talked me out of it due to them already trimmed up could still contact the water flowing off the back of the boat and cause drag.... I think if I do put tabs on the scout I will go with duel ram bennits/lenco.

For your size boat I would go with them and and indicators... for me I just like burley set ups that won’t break... He k if the ones I have don’t sell, I may put them on. Just gotta GoPro of the back and see how the water is beaking off the back
Old 04-24-2019, 11:38 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

I mounted 280s horizontal on my 22 Avanti and boat in Erie, I love them ! Mounted horizontal makes them much more progressive and controlable
Old 04-24-2019, 01:15 PM
Registered

Great input.
Always wondered the difference in effect in that mounting method.

Thx for posting.

Originally Posted by phragle
I mounted 280s horizontal on my 22 Avanti and boat in Erie, I love them ! Mounted horizontal makes them much more progressive and controlable
Old 04-24-2019, 02:07 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic
Great input.
Always wondered the difference in effect in that mounting method.

Thx for posting.

The other benefit with smaller lighter boat, is that with a traditionally mounted tab and running hard in and out of the water, I could feel the tabs pushing the ass end sideways at times. Horizontally mounted it doesnt do that.

Also running 3o wt motor oil in the tabs as opposed to tranny fluid will slow them down a touch too...
Old 04-24-2019, 02:11 PM
Registered

Received 433 Likes on 193 Posts

I have set off my boat in you're interested. I can take pics and post.
Old 04-24-2019, 03:53 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

I have 150S K Planes on my 23’ v with 300xs. Bottom is 21degree with a small pad. I have never had trouble with them. This is my first boat with tabs so I cannot compare the performance of other tabs. I have never noticed overly quick corrections. They will lay the boat on its side if you just hit the wrong one especially coming on play. They work real good keeping the bow down, even in rough water running a little positive trim. I like them and would have K Planes on any other boat that I bought.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.