Notices

Getting some leaks

Old 05-22-2019, 05:09 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Getting some leaks

I’m pretty sure that I’m getting leaks from my rub rail. I get water coming into the engine bay on identical sides at the joint in the hull and in my cuddy. I’ve decided against sealing the leaking spots in the engine bay, I think that’s the design to indicate bad rub rail seals? Is it? Should I pull the rub tail off and check under it? The rub rail needs to be re-caulked regardless so what’s the best method, slow steady hand and 3m marine silicone caulking?
Old 05-22-2019, 07:30 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Prestigeworldwideee
I’m pretty sure that I’m getting leaks from my rub rail. I get water coming into the engine bay on identical sides at the joint in the hull and in my cuddy. I’ve decided against sealing the leaking spots in the engine bay, I think that’s the design to indicate bad rub rail seals? Is it? Should I pull the rub tail off and check under it? The rub rail needs to be re-caulked regardless so what’s the best method, slow steady hand and 3m marine silicone caulking?
is rub rail underwater? If you want to seal it just remove rub rail at back of the boat and silicone the hull/deck joint.

how low slung is this cuddy?

Could be the hatch.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:57 PM
Registered

Well, there is no hatch and the rub-rail visibility needs to be re-done. There’s sections actually missing caulking and I can see where in the cuddy it’s leaking along the rub-rail joint. The stern rub-rail is in the water when the boats not in motion. Is it fairly easy to remove from the back rub-rail to seal it? I’m just worried that I’ll seal the wrong spot, water will get trapped in the rub-rail, expand and ruin something during the winter....
Old 05-22-2019, 10:08 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

looking at pics, it shouldnt be underwater..... And do not use 5200. I dont care what your mom's boyfriend's cousin's buddy tells you, do not use 5200. You want a sealant not an adhesive. you are not permanently attaching the rubrail and screws.
Old 05-23-2019, 12:50 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

The proper way to do it is to remove the rubrail and then seal the joint between the hull and deck.
You can use 3M 5200 for that and it will strengthen the joint as well.
When you reinstall rubrail, put some silicone into the holes before you screw it back on. You should not need run a bead silicone on the actual rubrail.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by phragle
looking at pics, it shouldnt be underwater..... And do not use 5200. I dont care what your mom's boyfriend's cousin's buddy tells you, do not use 5200. You want a sealant not an adhesive. you are not permanently attaching the rubrail and screws.
its submerged enough at times, especially when people are sitting on the back platforms, the water goes over the platform at that point.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:04 PM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

Easiest confirmation is If you pop the engine hatch when you have everyone in the boat, you will probably see water coming in at the seams...3m Silicone will stay flexible and seal up the seam where the hull and deck meet and each screw should be pulled. Using 5200 will work but if you have to replace a section of the rub rail backing - you are in for a fight to get it off (5200 will hold trim tabs to a hull so it will definitely hold a rub rail).

Long story short, your in for a bit of a job but you have to seal the hull/deck (behind the rub rail) and each screw hole
Old 05-23-2019, 06:19 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by speicher lane
Easiest confirmation is If you pop the engine hatch when you have everyone in the boat, you will probably see water coming in at the seams...3m Silicone will stay flexible and seal up the seam where the hull and deck meet and each screw should be pulled. Using 5200 will work but if you have to replace a section of the rub rail backing - you are in for a fight to get it off (5200 will hold trim tabs to a hull so it will definitely hold a rub rail).

Long story short, your in for a bit of a job but you have to seal the hull/deck (behind the rub rail) and each screw hole

If he uses 5200 to stick the rub rail on, and he or somebody else ever tries to take it off, they are liable to rip up the shoebox joint pretty bad..... 5200 on the hull to deck in the joint is good, but make sure its cured before installing the rub rail.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by phragle
If he uses 5200 to stick the rub rail on, and he or somebody else ever tries to take it off, they are liable to rip up the shoebox joint pretty bad..... 5200 on the hull to deck in the joint is good, but make sure its cured before installing the rub rail.
I never intended to use 5200 to put the rub-rail on... anyways speicher lane -sounds about right to me. I don’t wanna seal the hull joints, I think I’ll run into problems later but pulling the rub-rail, sealing the screws and caulking the rail is what sounds like I’m gonna have to do. Thanks for the help, I originally was just gonna seal the rub-rail but I see how that could only solve half the problem. I’ll update this when all is done.