Notices

Formula 240/Ilmor 480?

Old 06-14-2019, 05:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Formula 240/Ilmor 480?

I'll be retiring to Austin's Lake Travis and will likely build a Formula 270/Ilmor 480, but just curious if it's worth asking Formula if they'd build me a 240 with the 480 (only the 430 is offered)...

Should I expect to see any real acceleration/top speed advantage? Or is the hull a constraint?

And if there is an advantage, will I be able to use it on the lake? Or is the 240 too small?

Thanks.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:11 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Lake Travis

You will enjoy life on Lake Travis, the gem of the highland lakes chain in central Texas. It does get busy with all the novices on the week ends. We have several marines that offer year round slip space. We chose to convert from trailer boaters to slip space boaters several years ago. My only regret is that I did not make this move earlier. Lake Travis is a long lake with approximately 165 miles of shoreline. Concerning your choice of boat models, there is no substitute for keel length. If you buy short, you will soon be suffering from "two foot itis", wishing for a longer boat!
Old 06-15-2019, 12:19 AM
Registered

Thanks, Barry.

Really looking forward to Travis and yeah, kind of what I thought - the 270 probably the way to go.

Thought I'd rack store at Emerald Point. Limits me to 28', but frees me from worrying about when away.
Old 06-15-2019, 08:29 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Check out Sandy Creek Marina. We have several folks that have migrated from Emerald Point to Sandy Creek Marina. They all say Sandy Creek Marina is a much friendlier neighborhood. We could use another Formula owner in the "hood". Consider slip space with a hydro hoist over rack storage. After all, our boats get the best fuel mileage when we are polishing on the fiberglass and making conversation with your slip neighbors! You don't get that opportunity with rack storage.
Old 06-15-2019, 12:30 PM
Registered

Funny, I'm actually on the waiting list there for a 36' slip. Love the place.

I do like the idea of being able to build out a deck/bar and hang out. Just wonder if it isn't silly to do that when Shack 512 is right there.

No flood worries? It was pictures of flood damage to marinas that made me think rack storage smarter.
Old 06-15-2019, 05:50 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Small world! You may be our neighbors on A dock. The deck build out you mention actually contributes to the "at home" atmosphere that prevails on our dock. Instead of just "come and go", the slip holders stay around and visit with one another. We suffered very little damage during the recent record setting flood event on the highland lakes. The marina crew actually camped on the marina for a couple of weeks. They provided daily vertical position changes with the anchor winch lines to adapt to the rise and fall of the water level. After disconnecting the land bridge, the crew provided shuttle boat service to those of us that needed to check on our boats and equipment throughout the flood event.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:49 PM
Registered

That's real good to hear. I'm in!

I probably won't be back in the US until SXSW next year, but I'll reach out to you then and maybe we can visit.