Upstate Powerboat Restoring U B Violated 40-Foot Skater

Notices

Upstate Powerboat Restoring U B Violated 40-Foot Skater

Old 07-27-2019, 04:40 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by 302Sport

There’s no traceable salvage titles on boats.
I would think the limited number of insurers available would make the history pretty easy to follow. Especially if Phil stays with the colors etc.
Old 07-27-2019, 08:59 PM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Bostonirish

I don’t think my post or any of the ones I read were “hating “ and “ bashing “? I also stated that I’m sure it takes a ton of talent to even consider taking on a job like this. I was strictly staying my opinion. To each there own . Good luck With the rebuild

Following Phil on FB I guess makes my comment more in line. Not really what you said.

For me I lost my mom on her bike she had my whole life. We rebuilt it but with a new style but kept the traits of her old bike still there. It is the coolest thing ever to see it so I am sided on this
Old 07-28-2019, 11:06 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tmmii
Boats are different, we all know. But a wrecked 458 Ferrari carries its stigma forever. It’s also never “right.”
In my opinion the only thing carrying the stigma of "never right" is the ego of the Ferrari community. That isn't a knock on you, so don't take it that way if you own one. Most salvage ferraris are a few expensive bolt on parts away from being factory original, and only Ferrari's ultra-inflated parts costs kept them from being repaired by insurance.
Old 07-29-2019, 08:53 AM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

With a project of this scope a consult with the manufacturer, Skater, would seem appropriate.
Old 07-29-2019, 11:36 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Interceptor
With a project of this scope a consult with the manufacturer, Skater, would seem appropriate.
Guy who ended up w/ Pammy, consulted w/ Skater about rebuilding it. They said thanks but no thanks, not worth the reliability risk. Speaks volumes to me!
Old 07-29-2019, 01:20 PM
Registered

Received 292 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Cash Bar
I would think the limited number of insurers available would make the history pretty easy to follow. Especially if Phil stays with the colors etc.
I agree, but if a survey is done and surveyor says boat is perfect, how can they not insure it?? When you try to insure a normal boat, the insurance companies think surveys are the end all be all when determining a boats value and condition. How could they just throw out a survey now in this situation?? They can’t have it both ways....

Old 07-29-2019, 01:26 PM
Registered

Received 792 Likes on 374 Posts

good luck with the build...create a thread to document.
Old 07-29-2019, 03:09 PM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

I agree, but if a survey is done and surveyor says boat is perfect, how can they not insure it?? When you try to insure a normal boat, the insurance companies think surveys are the end all be all when determining a boats value and condition. How could they just throw out a survey now in this situation?? They can’t have it both ways....

The insurer could require a naval architect to do the survey vs. the standard surveyor that has no qualifications regarding structure and structure repair.
Old 07-29-2019, 04:10 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

I would assume it would be no different than buying a car with a salvage title, the history will follow the HIN..once a hull has a HIN it shouldn't be changeable. there was some question when a manufacturer took a hull and updated the boat and put a newer deck on it as to the legality it has happened to a couple well known boats cat and V alike. they are out there and the people that know, know. and those boats sat for a long time...Insurers can say no to whatever they want, if they pull the HIN and it shows that it was "claim paid" off by a company they can say no all they want.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:03 PM
Registered

Received 228 Likes on 77 Posts

Well, it’s funny how insurance has become the topic of issue on this. I have not heard of companies not insuring boats do to damage. This boat was never salvaged and I purchased it with paperwork from the owner. The structural integrity of this boat is 98% perfect. It’s mere surface damage. Probably similar to the damage of the 36 OB skater that went over in Florida last year and tore the front end on. Or calatee that was already repaired and back on the water. Or rump shakers damage is repaired and back on the water. Insurance companies will insure, now if it comes apart due to wear and tear , they will decline payment due to previous repair... but they will cover it.

Needless to say my agent is on board with the project and has not told me it’s a bad idea (insurance stand point)

we we will be starting a thread in the skater section once we get it inside. Currently have to wrap up a 38 topgun resto and finish a windshield conversion on a 46 skater race boat so our hands are full for the next month and a half before we can start on it.

I encourage everyone to follow our business social
media , @ UPSTATE POWERBOAT because it’s much easier to post and follow along on there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.