Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Sunseeker holding a paid in full 4mm yacht hostage due to dealer dispute! >

Sunseeker holding a paid in full 4mm yacht hostage due to dealer dispute!

Notices

Sunseeker holding a paid in full 4mm yacht hostage due to dealer dispute!

Old 07-29-2019, 08:53 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Typical Scumbag DEALER .... They Fuk everybody they can from customer to the techs that work for them...
The following users liked this post:
Nothing personel 353 (07-30-2019), OFFSHOREJOJO (04-24-2022), tommymonza (07-29-2019)
Old 07-29-2019, 09:08 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

The old Pier 57 owned by David Wood was a pleasure to deal with.
Old 07-29-2019, 11:09 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by speicher lane
possibly the same scenario as an American boat builder - the builder assembles the boat and will represent the components in order to keep the customer satisfied but in reality, they are taking on the burden of undertaking the warranty process with the failed component.... step this up to say a Merc engine failing - Mercury is taking on the full warranty process and reimbursing the repair center, not the builder of the boat owning the responsibility to cover the engine whether it is $25k or $2.5 mil build

* Warranty may be conducted through the boat builder's facility/ rigging shop but it is Merc reimbursing the costs... just as an example.

As with any warranty - its only covered by warranty when the warranty application/submission has been approved by the component MFG and not your salesman, buddy or whoever else may say,"it's covered!"

When warranty is declined for whatever reason - someone else is paying!
My very uninformed guess was they were on the hook for the engine failure and started to misappropriate incoming funds to keep the lights on banking on the order pipeline for cash, the relationship soured affecting orders, and boom - here we are.
Old 07-30-2019, 01:20 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,125 Likes on 475 Posts

Catastrophic engine failure should be covered by the engine manufacturer but should be facilitated by the service/warranty dealer. The bulk of the cost would obviously be the engine work. In a perfect world, none of that nonsense should have any impact on Mr Turner's purchase.

I am confused about whether the final payment has been made. Surely that would be paid on delivery. Someone close to me has a new 60' boat on order in Italy. Payments are 35% deposit (already paid) 35% when engines arrive at the shipyard (due shortly) then final 30% on delivery. Sounds pretty reasonable and I would imagine most of the. European manufacturers would work a similar schedule.

So, why was final payment made prior to delivery? (I've ignored the 200k shortfall) Ive also wondered why large payments were not made direct to the manufacturer.

Feel sorry for the buyer, sounds like he's caught in the middle of someone else's fight. He's obviously no fool and been around boats for a while, I hope he gets this sorted very quickly and the guilty party(s) end up paying heavily.

RR
Old 07-30-2019, 07:08 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 62 Posts

No ethics in this world anymore SAD! To get legal will cost big $$$$?Might be worth it to whip his ass and pay bail???
Old 07-30-2019, 09:40 AM
Registered

Received 569 Likes on 341 Posts

I’m guessing the dealer or manufacturer might have gotten into a conflict with the engine manufacturer over the installation. This probably isn’t Cat we’re talking about either. All the other engine manufacturers besides Cummins are much smaller and I’m not sure how well warranty and service comparatively. I’m guessing it’s worse.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:57 AM
Registered

Received 887 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by hogie roll
I’m guessing the dealer or manufacturer might have gotten into a conflict with the engine manufacturer over the installation. This probably isn’t Cat we’re talking about either. All the other engine manufacturers besides Cummins are much smaller and I’m not sure how well warranty and service comparatively. I’m guessing it’s worse.
This is spot on! I had a motor fail under warranty and Mercury tried to blame the manufacturer yet the manufacturer had the spec sheet from Mercury on acceptable angle for the exhaust. Reversion killed the motor, Mercury tried to say the angle was too slight. In the end they covered the motor but it was "a 3 way pointing scenario" in the beginning.

The issue with the current customer vs. Sunseeker seems like the manufacturer is hanging the dealer and the customer out to dry.......but then again maybe the dealer hasn't paid for the guy's boat in full either.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:03 AM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

I have a friend that is currently in conversation with Rick Obey at this dealer for a new Sunseeker. I guess that won’t be happening anymore. Lol.

What engines do they use on these beasts?
Old 07-30-2019, 10:48 AM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
When did Hionis start selling Sunseekers???
I could've gone my whole life without seeing or hearing that name again.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:31 AM
Registered

Received 569 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by Baja Rooster
I have a friend that is currently in conversation with Rick Obey at this dealer for a new Sunseeker. I guess that won’t be happening anymore. Lol.

What engines do they use on these beasts?
Looks like 1550hp-2000hp MAN 24.2L V12s in the mid 70’ range are approximately 4mm for new.

MAN has carved out a niche in that range. I’d consider the ratings “daring”.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.