Why so many O/B cats for sale >

Why so many O/B cats for sale

Notices

Why so many O/B cats for sale

Old 11-21-2019, 03:39 PM
Registered

Received 569 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by Madman7
I just can't get my hands around the fact that you back out the cost of $60K in outboards ( 400's ), and $25K for a trailer, and you're paying $315K for a 34' Hull ($400K average price used) lmao.. I was going to look into buying one for the ease of use / maintenance, but I think I'll wait for them to be priced more realistically for what they're worth.
The hellkat looks like a deal. A wildman liberator would an affordable rocket too.

They sure don’t look as good as the new pilini though.

Dont the 450s and 300s at least have a little V8 roar?
Old 11-21-2019, 04:32 PM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by Cash Bar

The 38' Mystic is already proving useful to people that boat on unpredictable waters.

Waiting for the Apache, Cigarette, Sutphen etc.crowd to weigh in and suggest they accomplished this a long time ago.
Old 11-21-2019, 05:07 PM
Registered

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by luke81
Sort of on the topic of OB cats here, have any of the Donzi Icon 44 been sold? It was certainly a polarizing design so I'd be surprised if it were a big mover but I'd think it's someone's cup of tea, maybe?
one and done is my bet
Old 11-21-2019, 05:45 PM
Registered

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy
The boating market is a shell of its former self, the average guy has been priced out of the hobby..fact. I go out on Long Island Sound these days and it's void of boats compared to 10 years ago.
QFT--I go by the former Powerplay/Powerquest factory every day on my way home--at the time they were in production a years wages would buy a decent mid 20 foot big block on a trailer with change left over.
A year of my wages now won't buy a beat up old boat in need of ???
Old 11-21-2019, 09:38 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Madman7
I just can't get my hands around the fact that you back out the cost of $60K in outboards ( 400's ), and $25K for a trailer, and you're paying $315K for a 34' Hull ($400K average price used) lmao.. I was going to look into buying one for the ease of use / maintenance, but I think I'll wait for them to be priced more realistically for what they're worth.
the costs are absolutely out of control. As someone mentioned about the boat hulls being able to be bought for a third of the price a few years ago. You could buy a hull for 90k only a few years ago now the same hull is 300k. Insane but hey if people are spending that kind of coin it will keep the price up. Even used cats are insanely overpriced. In my opinion in 5 years or so the market is going to have a huge surplus of used ob cats for sale and the buyers that bought them so high are going to feel the effects of the deppreciation. But then Again if u can afford to buy a 400k boat cash I don’t think they care about loosing 150k or more to deppreciation

Last edited by 272bajadriver; 11-21-2019 at 09:44 PM.
Old 11-22-2019, 06:02 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimofstuartfl
. The cost of the tooling is very expensive. The boats are designed on CAD and plugs are cut on a 5 axis router. This is very expensive. The craftsman that use to build them from scratch are gone. With tooling costs and labor costs its easy to see why they are so expensive. Also the tooling is usually not correct and adds hundreds of hours of labor to the boats.
That's well and good for elite manufacturers, but what about Checkmate (as as example)? They had plenty of hulls to choose from. How about the myriad of other builders that don't need tooling or 5 axis routers? Plenty of "regular" companies producing good hulls and boats got bounced in the past decade and along with them the market for the average boater.
Old 11-22-2019, 06:15 AM
Registered

Received 1,328 Likes on 741 Posts

What I can't understand on all this "price of materials/ tooling etc " going up and its something we see in everything.

Yet I know NO ONE that their wages have went up the same amount if at all. What is the driver of the increased costs? The money has to be going somewhere.
Old 11-22-2019, 06:25 AM
Registered

Received 131 Likes on 54 Posts

I think people who cant just pay cash, have in general realized financing a depreciating asset like a boat for 2-3 times their annual income is a terrible idea, so you get the cheap entry boats (up to 150k that really isn’t a HUGE loan, and then the big ballers at 400k+ Cash, no buyers in the middle

Last edited by sailtexas186548; 11-22-2019 at 06:31 AM.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:17 AM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

The best analogy mentioned before " They're priced according to what the market will bear". I would certainly agree with that. And if I was a manufacture I would try to charge and build as much as I could while the getting is good, cause sooner or later the dance will stop.

I'm just surprised that the used ones for sale are "asking" what they are.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:30 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by payuppsucker
The real reason there are so many for sale is people are realizing they aren't what they envisioned them to be. I mean who wants a boat that will run 120+, sips fuel, rides great and comes back to the dock on both motors every time you take it out?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.