Best Place to Retire for Boating >

Best Place to Retire for Boating

Notices

Best Place to Retire for Boating

Old 03-07-2020, 08:43 AM
Registered

Received 410 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by outlaw511
Where in S Jersey, I'm right outside Atlantic City, in EHT. Do my boating between Brigantine and Cape May. Sometimes ocean, sometimes intercostal.
I live in Clayton,I put in at Shady River or upper Chesapeake.
Old 03-07-2020, 08:47 AM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

Find a place you could enjoy living if you get out of boating later in life.
Old 03-07-2020, 09:00 AM
Registered

Received 324 Likes on 126 Posts

I am biased; For some of the best Powerboat boating in the country, inexpensive housing and low taxes: LOTO fits the bill. We moved here 10 years ago. It is a resort area so if you want "city" amenities it is about 1.5 hours away (Columbia or Springfield) or if you want big city, (Kansas City or St Louis) are 2.5 hours away.

Housing costs and Realestate taxes are very reasonable. Example, here is a picture of my home, my taxes are $2K/year. Realestate costs (waterfront) vary anywhere from $100K to $10 Mil but obviously it depends on the type of condo/home and where on the lake it is located. But again, compared to other places, the costs are quite reasonable.

Our fuel is also some of the lowest in the country. Which again makes for a lower cost in over all living.

The only negative is we have personal property tax, but if you are creative and have multiple residences (states) you can work that out to your benefit.

Old 03-07-2020, 09:16 AM
Registered

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy
It doesn't snow much up here anymore (CT) so that's not a big deal.
Snow doesn't thrill me but it can be awesome at times too. Nice crisp winter morning, fresh crunchy snow, complete silence...then you get melting and slush, oh well can't get good without bad.
We're all different but nothing is better than a cool fall day with leaves in full color, fire in the fireplace, some good home cooking and a football game on...just couldn't deal with Thanksgiving or Christmas without the seasonal atmosphere.
I would have agreed with you until I spent thanksgiving this past year in Florida for the first time and I got to tell you I didn’t hate it . Thought I would Have actually and it was a pretty big argument between me and my better half (lol) but in the end it was Pretty awesome . If the cards all fall in place I would like to retire to the west coast of Florida . Much more laid back than east coast . Good luck with your search . I hope in another 10-15 years I’m in your position .
Old 03-07-2020, 10:31 AM
Registered

Received 410 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by bajaholic
I am biased; For some of the best Powerboat boating in the country, inexpensive housing and low taxes: LOTO fits the bill. We moved here 10 years ago. It is a resort area so if you want "city" amenities it is about 1.5 hours away (Columbia or Springfield) or if you want big city, (Kansas City or St Louis) are 2.5 hours away.

Housing costs and Realestate taxes are very reasonable. Example, here is a picture of my home, my taxes are $2K/year. Realestate costs (waterfront) vary anywhere from $100K to $10 Mil but obviously it depends on the type of condo/home and where on the lake it is located. But again, compared to other places, the costs are quite reasonable.

Our fuel is also some of the lowest in the country. Which again makes for a lower cost in over all living.

The only negative is we have personal property tax, but if you are creative and have multiple residences (states) you can work that out to your benefit.
Wow that’s a beautiful home you have and it’s waterfront and you only pay $2000 a year in property tax. Excuse me while I go find a bigger hammer to beat myself in the head with.
Old 03-07-2020, 10:37 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,234 Posts

On a super yacht.
Old 03-07-2020, 10:48 AM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by bajaholic

Beautiful build. What part of the lake?
We are getting a summer place going and seem to be zeroed in on the Osage area.
Old 03-07-2020, 11:20 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by lucky strike
I live in Pompano Beach FL...Grew up in Jersey...... Moved here full time in 1987.
Spent winters here for 8 years before that..... South Florida has turned into a ZOO!
Traffic & the amount of people here has become a nightmare. Real estate is very expensive here.
I personally would suggest the west coast of Florida, probably up by Saint Pete area.
The weather is great all year, and the people seem to be great on the West Coast. Salt water, deal with it.
Your boat goes faster on salt...LOL. Flush it, wash it, keep it high and dry like I do here.
If your from Jersey your use to it anyway.
Shhhhh, stop telling people about SW Florida!!! We are full and trying to avoid becoming like Miami and Ft. Liquordale!! LOL
Old 03-07-2020, 06:14 PM
Registered

Received 324 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Cash Bar
Beautiful build. What part of the lake?
We are getting a summer place going and seem to be zeroed in on the Osage area.
We are at the 20.5mm, Osage Beach, The entrance to PBC/ Shorty Pants is the next cove up. We are 2nd tier, however, we have water access below us. But the view is worth it! It sucks waking up to this every morning... NOT!...

Last edited by bajaholic; 03-07-2020 at 06:21 PM.
Old 03-07-2020, 06:44 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Craney
Looking to retire in 6 to 8 years where is the best place to retire with good boating but NOT Florida also somewhere with low taxes
Belize. (It's stunning and cheap and we don't need anymore boats at LOTO.)

Last edited by FlyenBrian; 03-07-2020 at 06:47 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.