Ceramic Coating

Old 03-28-2020, 12:34 PM
Registered

Received 821 Likes on 347 Posts

Got it. Awesome, thank you.
Old 03-28-2020, 01:09 PM
Registered

Received 787 Likes on 371 Posts

We have an older top gun with porous gel coat that seems to get discolored over time...will this help prevent brown staining. How long does it last below the waterline? I’d likely only apply it to wetted areas for this reason.
Old 03-28-2020, 01:36 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 1MOSES1
We have an older top gun with porous gel coat that seems to get discolored over time...will this help prevent brown staining. How long does it last below the waterline? I’d likely only apply it to wetted areas for this reason.
it does not prevent growth or staining below the waterline. It does however make cleaning a scum line or the bottom of the boat easier. Dirt releases easier and seems to extend the amount of time it eventually takes between cleaning. Last year was my first year using it and will say it is worth it but not a magic elixir by any means. We would see videos of that all over the place and prices would be quadruple if what it is now.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:13 PM
Registered

Received 82 Likes on 32 Posts

on porous gelcoat need to polish the hull with a clean and glaze compound made for fiberglass ,,,has light abrasives in it to clean the hull and glazing to seal it
then rubbbbbb it out good to remove any glaze residue then do a ceramic coat,,,,been doing it for quite a while here
most true 9h ceramic coating have about a 5 yr timeline,,,,bit less when on bottom,,,,
there is some new coatings that are not super slick,,,,bud just had his 32 done and no worse than regular wax finish
I also use it on acrylic winscreens also,,,,water flys off under speed and less scratching when wipe down

Last edited by johnmiffco; 03-29-2020 at 10:52 AM.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:16 PM
Registered

Received 787 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by johnmiffco
on porous gelcoat need to polish the hull with a clean and glaze compound made for fiberglass ,,,has light abrasives in it to clean the hull and glazing to seal it
then rubbbbbb it out good to remove any glaze residue the ceramic coat,,,,been doing it for quite a while here
most true 9h ceramic coating have about a 5 yr timeline,,,,bit less when on bottom,,,,
there is some new coatings that are not super slick,,,,bud just had his 32 done and no worse than regular wax finish
I also use it on acrylic winscreens also,,,,water flys off under speed and less scratching when wipe down
we buffed and waxed last year using fountain of youth products...but that didn’t prevent the staining. I wish there were a product I could apply that would eliminate the brown staining. every 2-3 weeks it needs an acid bath which leads to oxidation...then another buff and wax. It’s a vicious cycle.
Old 03-29-2020, 11:12 AM
Registered

Received 82 Likes on 32 Posts

acid washing open up the gelcoat to be porous ,,,,just like sanding does,,,but worse as the acid wash soaks deep in the gelcoat
then must be machine compounded with a glazing/sealer product
then waxed or ceramic coated to make a barrier so wont absorb to be stained
I have a commercial glass shop,,,,,making molds and molded products
been using formula 5 brand clean and glaze on boats and molds for many yrs
there are other name brand gelcoat sealers ive just had good results in molds and repairs/blueprinting bottoms with this product
for sealing the gelcoat,,,,its specifically made for cleaning and sealing molds and fiberglass products that are gelcoat top coated
last few yrs been ceramic coating as the final step and longer results over layers of wax
after any acid wash gotta be resealed to block restaining,,,,,
Old 03-29-2020, 11:27 AM
Registered

Received 116 Likes on 64 Posts

I used the C quartz ceramic coating on my Black Thunder and love it. Prior to application I polished all the paint out and majority of bottom of boat. Now when I’m done boating for the weekend I can just spray the sides down with a hose and the scum lines come right off vs having scrub scrub scrub with cleaners then reapply wax, etc. I apply the reload spray once a summer and that’s about it.
Old 04-02-2020, 11:16 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 67 Likes on 31 Posts

I started looking into this several months ago for my Wright Performance 360 that I purchased new in November....it has been in the water twice....once at loto for shakedown and then the Key West Poker Run......Not sure how it all works but I would think the prep would be much less on new boat than on a boat with a few years on it.....I had a guy price me $5500.00 for one coat of primer and 3 coats of coating......is that reasonable considering new condition of the boat?
Old 04-02-2020, 11:32 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullhead
I started looking into this several months ago for my Wright Performance 360 that I purchased new in November....it has been in the water twice....once at loto for shakedown and then the Key West Poker Run......Not sure how it all works but I would think the prep would be much less on new boat than on a boat with a few years on it.....I had a guy price me $5500.00 for one coat of primer and 3 coats of coating......is that reasonable considering new condition of the boat?
I am having my new NT 390 done at 125$/ foot for everything, seats, bottom, motors, everything.
Old 04-02-2020, 11:40 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 67 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by erik1976
I am having my new NT 390 done at 125$/ foot for everything, seats, bottom, motors, everything.
Thanks....that is great info

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.