Buying a wellcraft scarab

Old 04-27-2020, 09:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

penultimate one!
Old 04-27-2020, 09:24 AM
Registered

final one before I SHOULD be able to upload some photos! Sorry!!!!
Old 04-27-2020, 09:24 AM
Registered

Old 04-27-2020, 09:49 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

Its a Scarab 1. Aftermarket swim platform. You are correct that the original ones were two individual teak platforms. The original windshield would have been stainless around the top edge. All the Scarab 1 i have seen either did not have a deck hatch or had two small ones. If it has a single one it may because someone added that. Like any Wellcraft, check the transom and stringers for rot. They all rot. Looking at it I would estimate the value at 3000-5000
Old 04-27-2020, 10:20 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by phughes69
Its a Scarab 1. Aftermarket swim platform. You are correct that the original ones were two individual teak platforms. The original windshield would have been stainless around the top edge. All the Scarab 1 i have seen either did not have a deck hatch or had two small ones. If it has a single one it may because someone added that. Like any Wellcraft, check the transom and stringers for rot. They all rot. Looking at it I would estimate the value at 3000-5000

Thanks, I thought it was but they all seem slightly different so worth checking. I just can't see any made in 1989, so maybe he has the date wrong?

I assume the windscreen has been replaced and rails removed, meaning it could have had a fair bit of work doing to it? and the swim deck, so maybe has had some transom work,....who knows! waiting for more photos etc.

Yea, I've read a lot about them and assuming it will need tramsom and stringers really.... so i'd say 3k max

The hatch is strange!...and the screen looks a bit strange how it curves down toward the passenger side but not symmetrically...

Old 04-27-2020, 12:13 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

I theorize the since the new wind screen is black and has the passenger side cut down, that the passenger was shorter than the driver. OR the windscreen is cheap and the heat combined with someone leaning on it and no support on the top, it is sagging in towards the inside of the boat.
Old 04-27-2020, 12:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by phughes69
I theorize the since the new wind screen is black and has the passenger side cut down, that the passenger was shorter than the driver.

​​​​​​Haha! Like it. A bit different I suppose! Like the pop up cleats as well!