Notices

BUP banned?

Old 06-08-2020, 08:11 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 67 Likes on 35 Posts

Johns a great guy, he took my phone call on Saturday Memorial Day weekend and it was the first time we ever talked. I had questions about a boat I was buying with 500 efi’s and he was nice enough to talk for at least 30 minutes about the MEFI 3 and multec fuel injectors that are used on the 500’s.
The following 5 users liked this post by cig28:
93 shooter (06-09-2020), Fountain38 (06-15-2020), Indy (06-09-2020), toby00 (06-09-2020), Undercovr (06-09-2020)
Old 06-08-2020, 08:54 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by compedgemarine
seems you should have banned the annoying member as that would have gotten rid of the noise without the loss of free information for problem solving.

this^^^^^

seems like if the reports were from the same person all the time they were obviously using it becuase they didnt like him.
Old 06-08-2020, 09:09 PM
Registered

Received 4,322 Likes on 1,241 Posts

I hate snitches , whoever reported BUPs post should be banned.
If he were any kind of a man he`d come on here and tell us why he`s a little snitch ***** and what their issue was.. but I doubt it, not enough balls.
The following users liked this post:
mike tkach (06-09-2020)
Old 06-08-2020, 09:15 PM
Registered

Received 791 Likes on 373 Posts

Hahaha banned...

what a joke. OSO is ok with coastal marine exports peddling junk parts with no serial numbers because they are paid advertisers...but someone who genuinely helped the community and offered help in his time off is banned.

its laughable...there are plenty of non paying members who advertise parts and service.

if bup thought paying for a membership would boost sales and revenue I’m sure he would have coughed up the cash already.
The following 5 users liked this post by 1MOSES1:
BIGSLOW (06-09-2020), dunnitagain (06-09-2020), OLDRAT (06-10-2020), tommymonza (07-28-2020), Undercovr (06-09-2020)
Old 06-09-2020, 12:54 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by 1MOSES1
Hahaha banned...

what a joke. OSO is ok with coastal marine exports peddling junk parts with no serial numbers because they are paid advertisers...but someone who genuinely helped the community and offered help in his time off is banned.

its laughable...there are plenty of non paying members who advertise parts and service.

if bup thought paying for a membership would boost sales and revenue I’m sure he would have coughed up the cash already.
Coastal Marine Export was NEVER a paid advertiser and NEVER had a Commercial Membership. Any for sale posts in the forums by CME were always quickly deleted due to advertising violations. CME was able to use paid classifieds just as BUP could still choose to utilize.

Who are the non paying members who run full fledged marine businesses and advertise on OSO??

Old 06-09-2020, 12:58 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

I saw this coming a long time ago with BUP and tried to help him avoid it getting to this point. I told him to keep his sales stuff off the forums and use PM's or purchase a Commercial Membership. He gave "free advice" on OSO and made thousands of dollars off of that free advice with ECM repair, injector service, injector sales and numerous other parts sales. All he had to do was purchase a Commercial Membership for $500. Everybody could have then seen his business contact info and his website and he would have been able to receive more PM's instead of just the 10 that he constantly had to clear. He would have gotten some free advertising in the Classifieds as well. He would have made that $500 back quickly and easily. He was given more slack than ANY other person in the history of OSO, but he continued to push the envelop by constantly violating the advertising rules. He basically thought that he was above having to purchase a Commercial Membership or become an advertiser because his "free advice" was so valuable.
The following 6 users liked this post by Griff:
ICDEDPPL (06-09-2020), Knot 4 Me (06-09-2020), Mentalpause (06-09-2020), Nothing personel 353 (06-09-2020), Rookie (06-09-2020), thirdchildhood (06-09-2020)
Old 06-09-2020, 06:46 AM
Registered

Received 1,834 Likes on 717 Posts

It’s a tuff line to walk, as moderator, forum owner etc.

I have no dog in this fight and had no dealings w/Bupp but have seen this over and over on here and other sites.

Have seen lots of free info threads deleted/monitored.

How do you control the site when you have knowledgeable members assisting others for free, in the same business you have other paid advertisers in?

What does a member do when he’s stuck in a project and just needs a question answered?
Call a vendor and ask for free advice?
Call a vendor and give a Visa # for advice?

The comment of Bupp telling a member he wouldn’t give advice over the phone w/o a Visa # cracked me up.
Know how many times my wife had told me that?
Dozens.

I know smaller, two Stroke, go fast O/Bs very well and have been knee deep in them since the ‘60’s.
Not near the market as the Hi Perf I/O biz but there was/is people trying to make a living at it.

I got calls, texts, e-mails asking for help all the time.
I helped 99% of them.

Then it changed.
People thought I owed it to them because they were a board member.
Paying or non didn’t matter.

Often the questions were very technical which, being an old guy, I’d request they call me so I didn’t have to spend 30 mins typing w/one finger.
90%+ of the time, that answer led to another question.

The latest is for them to text me their # and ask me to call them.
Huh?

This new population would then text or pm me a “thx” for my help.
Im old school and am offended by that.

Now think of these guys expecting same from a vendor who’s out in his shop busting his ass trying to make a living.

It is common to see those knowledgeable members transition into that business and normally two things happen.
A. They have to work so hard to support their biz that their time on the boards evaporates.
B. Their time to lend free advice also disappears.

It cracks me up see a member *****ing, on here, about a vendor that didn’t return his e-mail, text, pm to their satisfaction.
So they bash a vendor on a public forum for being too busy?

99% of the time these “irate consumers”......, never even p/u the phone to call the vendor!
WTF?

Do we even support those vendors that support our sport/hobby?
I did a thread on that subject (on another boat site) yrs ago.

Normally they get their free advice then buy their parts from the cheapest results to a google search.
Remember the Chinese injector threads 😂

My experience has been that those vendors I have supported will bend over backwards to take my calls and answer my dumb ass questions.
Even then I am mindful of how much they’ve made from me (how long ago?) Vs how much free info they Owe me”.

I also know I have to ask their help in private since if I do it it on a forum, and they reply to me, the rest will expect same treatment.
Even w/o spending a dime w/said vendor.

Sorry, had to vent.

Carry on.

Last edited by Twin O/B Sonic; 06-09-2020 at 06:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Mentalpause (06-09-2020)
Old 06-09-2020, 07:01 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 62 Posts

If you have a business that deals with high performance boats and you are good at it no forum needed! But if it did generate business from forum pay the $500 ?? Looks like you had a lot of cheerleaders on here? My 02 guy was nasty and tight as a frogs ass under water and broke the rules and refused to stop? ! I think Fester ratted him out?? Guess he won't be pro OSO anymore!
Old 06-09-2020, 07:22 AM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic
It’s a tuff line to walk, as moderator, forum owner etc.

I have no dog in this fight and had no dealings w/Bupp but have seen this over and over on here and other sites.

Have seen lots of free info threads deleted/monitored.

How do you control the site when you have knowledgeable members assisting others for free, in the same business you have other paid advertisers in?

What does a member do when he’s stuck in a project and just needs a question answered?
Call a vendor and ask for free advice?
Call a vendor and give a Visa # for advice?

The comment of Bupp telling a member he wouldn’t give advice over the phone w/o a Visa # cracked me up.
Know how many times my wife had told me that?
Dozens.

I know smaller, two Stroke, go fast O/Bs very well and have been knee deep in them since the ‘60’s.
Not near the market as the Hi Perf I/O biz but there was/is people trying to make a living at it.

I got calls, texts, e-mails asking for help all the time.
I helped 99% of them.

Then it changed.
People thought I owed it to them because they were a board member.
Paying or non didn’t matter.

Often the questions were very technical which, being an old guy, I’d request they call me so I didn’t have to spend 30 mins typing w/one finger.
90%+ of the time, that answer led to another question.

The latest is for them to text me their # and ask me to call them.
Huh?

This new population would then text or pm me a “thx” for my help.
Im old school and am offended by that.

Now think of these guys expecting same from a vendor who’s out in his shop busting his ass trying to make a living.

It is common to see those knowledgeable members transition into that business and normally two things happen.
A. They have to work so hard to support their biz that their time on the boards evaporates.
B. Their time to lend free advice also disappears.

It cracks me up see a member *****ing, on here, about a vendor that didn’t return his e-mail, text, pm to their satisfaction.
So they bash a vendor on a public forum for being too busy?

99% of the time these “irate consumers”......, never even p/u the phone to call the vendor!
WTF?

Do we even support those vendors that support our sport/hobby?
I did a thread on that subject (on another boat site) yrs ago.

Normally they get their free advice then buy their parts from the cheapest results to a google search.
Remember the Chinese injector threads 😂

My experience has been that those vendors I have supported will bend over backwards to take my calls and answer my dumb ass questions.
Even then I am mindful of how much they’ve made from me (how long ago?) Vs how much free info they Owe me”.

I also know I have to ask their help in private since if I do it it on a forum, and they reply to me, the rest will expect same treatment.
Even w/o spending a dime w/said vendor.

Sorry, had to vent.

Carry on.
I am going to assume your comment is directed at ME for getting upset because I called vendors who would not call back....So let me clarify just HOW SIMPLE my calls were and what the potential upside was for the vendor when I left a VM.

Vendor #1 - "Hello, I saw that you have a pair of low hour 525's listed for sale. I am looking to upgrade power and would like to know if you have a scan shot of hours/use and if you could handle swapping our my existing power if I brought the boat your way. Please give me a call back I am a cash buyer this week and can drop the boat anytime into the fall/winter. If you are backed up I will buy the power and just need it loaded into a freight carrier."

Vendor #2 - "Hello, I am looking for a B1x Upper drive housing. I saw that you had those previously listed in bulk. Was wondering if you still had any as I would like to purchase 2. Give me a call when you have time."

It goes on and on....

I am not calling and leaving messages like "Hey my boat is sputtering and the engine alarm is going off can you help me fix it?" Its common courtesy and being in the trades myself I can respect that time is money and a mechanic should not be on the phone helping people realize they need to actually drag the boat into a shop. When they are talking on a phone while working on another customers boat - somebody (paying customer) is getting shorted. However, when I call you and come right out with - "I am a buyer, I respect your time, call me later as I want to buy something" - Who wouldn't follow up on that as a business owner? Leads don't come any hotter than that.

Now, as far as BUP (John) he is a one man shop. There is no calling him at a good time and although we hear statements like "He has made thousands of dollars with ECM and fuel system service and he didn't buy a $500 membership" it makes me really consider what this hobby is all about on this particular site. We here things like great hobby....amazing people....incredible forums of knowledge...and yet its boiled down to making money. OSO used to be the THE SOURCE of information for all things performance boating. It clearly has changed its mission and has become more of a commercial advertising machine driven to PAY TO PLAY for the highest paying advertiser. Wow this seems awfully familiar to those poker runs splashed all over the site - "Come one..come all - but make sure you have at least $2k for fees set aside for our two day event and a half milllion dollar boat or we have to park you over there on the commoners dock"
Old 06-09-2020, 07:49 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by hogie roll
Ban Eddie, Mike Tkach and Haxby too, I want Phil to be our exclusive source of Tech advice
i got a time out for calling out a member who sells all kind of used up junk on oso,he complained to a mod and i got a time out.that was the end of me being a paid member and i don,t give much advice anymore after that.this site is not what it used to be,they seem to cater to the winers.as far as bup getting banned,thats a hugh loss for the oso members imo.let me say it was not griff who gave me the time out.imo he is not going to ban anyone because someone got but hurt.

Last edited by mike tkach; 06-09-2020 at 08:01 AM.
The following 8 users liked this post by mike tkach:
apex svt (06-09-2020), c0ncEpT (06-16-2020), flat rate (06-09-2020), Griff (06-09-2020), Padraig (06-09-2020), PartyBarge22 (06-11-2020), toby00 (06-10-2020), tommymonza (07-28-2020)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.