Notices

How can this sport grow?

Old 11-15-2002, 09:37 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ron

Your 100% right about some FAT cats making money off us.

I think we should start OSO racing and it will be FREE

MIke
Old 11-15-2002, 10:05 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Re: Show Biz Kids Makin' Movies OF Themselves...

Originally posted by Ruben Bermudez
HERE's a good idea.

If your objective is to be on the boob tube,
go into show bidness.

In my best Beavis & Butthead impression: "He said BOOB! ha! ha! ha!"
Attached Images  

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 11-15-2002, 10:15 PM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,736 Likes on 3,794 Posts

The one thing i think we are doing now is just pointing out the problems with the current, it is a place to start but that poor old horse is in the glue factory. i will say it has been a great thread, and probably the most ive participated in.

This is a great think tank(OSO) without a doubt,and im sure some of lukers of the board read and hear what the masses say in a open forum, while i perfer the casual fun joking approach to most things. i enjoy the great debates and all opinions.

Mike , nothing is Free ask OSO.
Old 11-15-2002, 10:33 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pete, I'm done too. This horse has been well beaten. I'm glad that this didn't turn into an APBA vs SBI thread because that was not the intention.

I also hope the thoughts shared here do not fall upon deaf ears. There are many very productive ideas that have merit.

Good luck in Key West!!!!!!
Old 11-16-2002, 09:10 AM
Registered

Here's a question.

I've seen several older racing videos, (one was broadcasted on CBS wideworld of sports) and it seemed like there was 3 times as many boats as there are now.
The question is , what was there formula back then ? Why so many boats, big names too Don Johnson, Chuck Norris..etc. And to be broadcasted on CBS wide world of sports means that it is a big thing. Those of you that raced back in the day, where there the same issues that there are now ? If not then eliminate the cause of the issues . I know, easier said than done.

Someone in an earlier thread mention the price of the 114octane gas as $5.00 a gallon. Well thats pretty cheap , the last time I bought a 55 gallon drum of C-114 , I think it cost me $375.
Old 11-16-2002, 11:41 AM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

That must have been a world championship race from Key West.

The second race from Key West used to get on a major network.
Old 11-16-2002, 02:00 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Ron P
You know it kind of bothers me that all the local people that put a race together do it for free as a volunteer and yet the santioning body is making a profit. How is that right? I must be stupid.

I wonder, how important is a purse to the racers? A divisional race usually has a 25K purse which means about $1000 to the winners. If we don't get a purse sponsor, will the racers still come to run for a trophy and no money?
That's why we only do divisional races in the GLSCS. The money from registration goes back to the sponsoring club - the same people who went out and did all the work and found all the sponsors.
We been told in the GLSCS by the racers, they would not just race for a trophy.
Old 11-16-2002, 04:22 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Let's talk about "progress"...........................

1976.............I tow a Mercury/Molinari to Valleyfield, Quebec for a race. I own neither the boat nor the motor (nor spare parts).....My hardware is fully sponsored. We are met at 3:00 AM by a "greeter" who personally shows us to our hotel....The town is alive with true fans....who have been alerted of the event by the media...primarily television Ruben.

First stop next morning...register and pickup a check for APPEARANCE MONEY........ Race two days that weekend and at intermission the Canadian version of the Blue Angels gives an Airshow....unfortunately they have an accident but that's another story.

There are over 150 total boats (Inboard and OPC divisions).

After the race we collect winnings in cash............not mailed and no checks.

We then went home...richer for the experience in many ways.

The point?

Compare that to the current wonderfulness. If there were fewer simpler classes that didn't allow mega cash to dominate (it will always back winners but does not need to be 100 laps ahead), then more people cpould understand it....and become fans. Fans need to view a sport and comprehend it and its participants to gain enthusiasm. In offshore the ONLY way that can happen is through TV and not a one boat "feature"...To paraphrase...."It's about the racing stupid!"

Ruben, God Bless you if you think that paying $500, 000+ per year is in any way related to a being a competitive racing sportsman..........or perhaps you are not , in fact, the guy paying the bills?

T2x............ Continuing to watch the wheel being re-invented....badly

Last edited by T2x; 11-16-2002 at 06:00 PM.
Old 11-16-2002, 05:23 PM
Registered

In the mid 80's we moved to Ft Myers and my wife worked for the marketing firm who handled the Ft Myers race. The local cities really backed the event because it extended the "season" into May which was typically a slow month. They made a week long event with a boat parade, enteratinment in the dry pits and an overall carnaval atmosphere. You could watch from the beaches or from charter boats in the middle of the course. You also had celebrities like Johnson and Norris flying in to drive the big boats. To be successful the events need to be run as a business. Sponsors must get their moneys worth and fans must have a good time.
By setting up a spectator area with a large monitor, like those used in other sporting events and listing a leader board the race would be more understandable. How can anyone tell who is leading a NASCAR race without one? The dry pits are the gold mine. Having some exotic hardware and feeling the docks rumble when the motors light will get more people hooked. Offering or charging for rides would help manufacturers sell a lot of boats.
Old 11-16-2002, 07:21 PM
Registered

Default The Church Of Whats Happenin' NOW...

X-man-

The good ol' days were great.

Teevee, in its current incarnation,
does nothing for offshore
but bring bills to the sanctioning body for the coverage.

Wanna see more boats?

Bigger payouts. Cash is a good idea, thanks.

Put the money back in the hands of the people
WHO MAKE THE SHOW.

Or bring your ol' Molinari out to the races...
we'll run the tunnels with the cats and the vees,
handicapped for water conditions.

RB- watching the checks get cashed by folks who'd obviously rather be covering Tiger Woods and his little white balls,
but lack the connections to land a network gig...

Quick Reply: How can this sport grow?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.