Like Tree0Likes

How can this sport grow?

Old 11-14-2002, 12:24 AM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

I think the reason the schedule changes is because the sponsor was talked into spending the money in the first place and then had a change of heart at the last minute. Hence the race site changes.

If the sponsors made money from hosting the race, they would be jumping up and down to bring the event to town.
Old 11-14-2002, 01:34 AM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

My Boats: 27' Scarab

allow teh spectators to get closer to eth action. the first 2 NYC races I was at i watched from shore. Thsi year i was in eth middle of the coure on DJD post. We are talkign a whole new ballgame. When 20 boats come hauling ass towards you you can feel the pounding of the exhaust in your chest its quite a rush.

Shorter courses. Perhaps slower boat but run them in a tighta rea so the fleet doesn;t get so spread out. towards the end of the race when there are 4 boats left its can get kind of dull to watch.

Announcers liek at car racers. Hell i know abotu offshore and i can barely tell who's winnign overall let alone by class.

Kill the bull****. All racing is politics BUT offshore has more drama than politics. Set a schedule and stick to it. NO MATTER WHAT. Delaying a race 2 hours for no apparent reason otehr than disorganization just doesn't look pro.

More hottie in tiny bikinis. Why is havasu abnd loto so popular? Fast boats hot ladies lots of booze its a party and a spectacle. Racing has teh fast boats and the booze now it needs soem more eye candy pehaps combine a bikini contest with the race and have the contestants be trophy girls.

Also boating has a limited appeal in the general market. Everyone drievs cars. SO it natural that the genneral public can relate to car racing (who hasn't once dreamed of being a car racer?) BUT not everyone likes boat, let alone go fast boats. I think it need somehitg other than monster engein to get the public to relate. I know my favorite thign abotu boat races in the engiens. WHen you hear 10 boats fire with big blocks and open exhausts it get my heart pumping. Unfortunatly not all peopel are HP junkies like us.
Old 11-14-2002, 05:51 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

My Boats: 1979 Formula 302, 99 Formula 353, 81 Donzi 18 2+3 with 454

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron P
I think the reason the schedule changes is because the sponsor was talked into spending the money in the first place and then had a change of heart at the last minute. Hence the race site changes.

If the sponsors made money from hosting the race, they would be jumping up and down to bring the event to town.
Ron I agree however if the Sanctioning bodies want to make it a popular sport then they should look at other ways to hold the event. I understand that it costs A HUGE amount of money to run these races with all the sapport and what not, HOWEVER if the sanctioning body wants to keep its fan base (without whom there is no racing) then a set scedual with NO changes under ANY situation is the ONLY way that this will happen. Look at all the people that had tickets to this years Nationals that god moved. I mean if I was a fan I would be PISSED. As a guy that raced in the past it was SO frustrating to have spent TONS of money getting the boat ready to race, registration and all that, just to find out that the race is cancelled, and there is no getting your money back. So I am now taking a stand of NOT racing any more. Sure I am just one guy but I know a lot of other guys that have the same feelings as me as far as racing and watching. When I drove my boat down to the SBI races this year it was more for the fun of the run into the city and hooking up with the OSO crew then to watch the races.

Jon
Old 11-14-2002, 09:00 AM
Registered

CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG, BUT BACK IN THE DAYS OF PT.PLEASANT(BIG CROWDS) APBA HAD PEOPLE THAT RAN IT THAT KNEW IT WAS, GUYS JUST WANTING TO HAVE A FUN WEEKEND AND SHOW OFF THEIR EXPERTIZE. THEY KNEW IT WAS NEVER GOING TO BE THE NEXT NASCAR. IF YOU LOOK AT THE BEST YEARS OF OFFSHORE THAT'S WHEN WE HAD HEAD GUYS LOOKING OUT FOR YOU THE RACER, NOT THEIR OWN AGENDA. RACERS COME AND GO BECAUSE THE COST HAS GOTTEN TO BE WAY OUT OF LINE. SOME TEAM CAN'T MAKE IT A FULL YEAR, I MEANT A SEASON, WE DON'T RACE EVERY WEEK. I AM NOT SURE WHAT 1ST PLACE GETS IN F-2 OR SUPER-V BUT IT'S PROBABLY NOT MUCH MORE THAN RACERS GOT TWENTY YEARS AGO. WE'VE COME A LONG WAY BABY? AND WHEATHER IT'S APBA OR SUPERBOAT THEY EACH HAVE THEIR OWN AGENDA AND IT'S NOT THE RACER OR THE FAN, BOTTOM LINE IT'S THEIR BACKERS. PONDER THAT AND YES IT'S TRUE TWENTY YEARS AGO WE RACED IN THE OCEAN WHERE NO ONE COULD SEE YOU EXECEPT FOR THE BEGINNING AND END BUT WE HAD FUN AND WE RACED HARD AND WE FELT GOOD AFTER IT WAS OVER. SORE AND HURT BUT ENJOYED OURSELVES AND THERE WAS NO BACK STABBING NOT LIKE TODAY.
Old 11-14-2002, 09:04 AM
Registered

my .02

1. Don't overemphazie booze and bikinis. If the sport is to grow it has to appeal to a variety of people.

2. Don't ever expect the casual fan to understand the classes.
I don't think they ever will.

3. Don't charge admission to the race. Charge admission to the
wet and dry pits. It works. Of course the racers and boats have to be accessible to the public.

4. Do develope regional racing. If we had a couple more regions such as the Great Lakes, POPRA, etc. racing would be better off.
These regions usually offer fewer classes and good racing.

5. Do have professionals produce the races. It is very time consuming.

6. Do stick to the schedule.
Old 11-14-2002, 09:09 AM
Chevy-Harley fan
Charter Member

The sanctioning bodies need to be under one roof (not going to happen ) to get more boats at a race site. Try and put on a Poker run the same weekend. I am sure alot of these guys would love to REALLY race each other after spending a day having fun with their freinds and family in the poker run. Move the races OFFSHORE where the action is, maybe you can charter a day cruise ship, or some of the larger party fishing boats for front row viewing with closed circuit coverage of the race. Maybe bring back some kind of open class (big wallet) boats this might bring back some bigger sponsers for bragging rights. Just look what Budweiser did at LOTO to still be the top dog. Having the same hardware on some classes makes for good tight racing, but I think alot of us motorheads love to see someone try to build a better mouse trap. Remember when it use to be "Win on Sunday sell on Monday". What better way to get parts manufactures to show off their new ideas than under race conditions. If you can get more boats at a race site there will be a better oppertunity to get more action for the TV coverage, this is a area where they could use some improvement. I have alot of motorsport freinds that just don't understand the boating thing, maybe a little less small talk and a little more of the ROAR of the engines might get their attention. Long live OFFSHORE racing. It is a good family sport and the only one I can get my wife to go to.
Old 11-14-2002, 09:10 AM
Registered

My Boats: 1976 Cigarette 28SS

Offshore racing will never attain the status of automibile racing because, drum roll please, it's boring as hell to watch and John Q Public doesn't relate to it and TV will not do it justice.

We're into it because we're into boats and have experienced a chine walk, catching air, and the on the edge feeling of a well trimmed boat at speed. As said earlier in the thread, everybody at one time or another has dreamt of or imagined himself racing their car. They flip on the TV and see Bubba drifting a Monte Carlo through turn 4 at Daytona right next to Cledus in a Taurus with the image of the fans and the colors and they've got surround sound turned up and it's just like that last minute pass before the exit ramp and they're hooked.

Now watch an offshore race on TV. Snooze. Where's the image of speed? Nowhere since the only contrast in the background is a vast expense of water. "Look Dad, those guys are going 130!" "Coulda fooled me Son, it don't look any faster than the old Century with the 327 I had back in the '70s. Man oh man now THAT was a fast boat!" And where's the sound of those open exhausts? All I hear on Speedvision is some announcer and helicopter blades.

Face it, you want commercial success in offshore racing? It ain't gonna happen. Be glad that there's folks out there with huge bank accounts and an ego big enough to go spend enough to be the fastest until someone else comes in with a bigger bank account and a bigger ego.

If it weren't for those guys, there would be no offshore racing.
Old 11-14-2002, 09:29 AM
Registered

My Boats: 2015 MTI 48

This is a good thread. Thoughts and suggestions instead of bashing. 'Bout time.
My .02:

In my opinion, any sport can be sold to the general public. In a big way. Example: wrestling. If you can sell THAT, you can sell anything!
Be honset with yourself as to the product you are selling. We think the boats and the competition is what sells. Wrong! Yes, the boats are cool, but what you are really selling is TV exposure. NASCAR enjoys a great sponsor base because the cars are on TV for a long period of time. Drag racing is tougher because each car spends so little time in front of the camera.
Gimmicks: lets face facts, sex sells. Pit crew girls and dock girls would go a long way to sell boat racing.
Rivalries: Essential. Everyone wants to see two guys bash each other and take their aggressions out on each other on a race course.
crashes: Very essential. The sad fact is that people love carnage and destruction. They will pay dearly to see it as well.
Youhave to understand and accept, even cater to the demographics of the people you are trying to reach. Face the facts and realize that the average Joe Schmoe is not very intelligent, and really just wants to see some T&A with maybe a crash or two thrown in.
As far as the sanctioning body is concerned, their primary function is to line up venues, promote the events, and PUT TOGETHER A GREAT TV PACKAGE!! Easier said than done.
I think it is safe to say that without TV coverage, this sport will never be more than it is today.
It should also be noted that when you enter a poker run, you pay a large (relatively) entry fee, expecting most of that entry to be paid back. Realize that very little promotion or sanctioning goes into a poker run. It is different with organized racing.
Sanctioning bodies must make and STRICTLY enforce the rules. From what I can tell of offshore racing, some of the guys who spend big money EXPECT the rules to bend for them. This will never work.
In short, if you really want offshore to become a big sport, call Bruton Smith and get ready for the circus.
Old 11-14-2002, 09:30 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

My Boats: fuel injection, superchargers

Is unlimited hydros any more popular? Ask SteveDavid. Big boats, closed course, big sponsors. I don't know but hook up with them somehow. The course and safety and TV is there just add 3 classes--batboat, F1, and F2. Run heats and transfer? Their model seems to work. I would love to see O'Berta sponsor or at least 'boatwrap' boats isn all three classes and follow the sponson and not necessarily the boat or driver and they win all classes that day. And of course the girls--Puder you are good for something.
Old 11-14-2002, 09:54 AM
Registered

My Boats: 2009 FORMULA 292

Yeah! What you guys said! I am enjoying the dialogue here. Very interesting. I am glad to see people are starting to recognize some of the things that RonP, T2x, Philip and I have been saying for quite some time. We have been around the sport for many years. I have been around as a racer/participant for about 10 years, but my father was into it heavily for many years as I was growing up. So I have been around the sport for 20+ years. As much as things change they remain the same.