Notices

How can this sport grow?

Old 11-14-2002, 06:54 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The great lakes are like oceans. I know they get very rough. I was speaking more for small lakes like Lake Winni in NH or Lake Pontatrain in NO.
Old 11-14-2002, 06:55 PM
Member #2 ....Jeeezz
Charter Member

Originally posted by Ron P
........ nothing is as boring as watching offshore boats race on a lake.
or a Bay ... or inside a breakwall ... or on a river ... etc. etc. etc.

Old 11-14-2002, 07:00 PM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,709 Likes on 3,785 Posts

well the the bad thing about 5 boats running together is, it doesnt happen except on the start, it seems that the only way to keep the boats closer together is make the course smaller. then up goes the risk factor for a accident. wether APBA or SBI, you need a broad range fan base, to develop this you need to have a set schedule, then market and advertise via radio and tv. once youve attracted a crowd give them something to remember besides sitting around 4 or 5 hours for a one show that they cant figure out. the classes that run 90 mph or less run a tighter course say 3 miles vice 5 or seven. keep the racing within the spectators view. not so many classes running together.
Old 11-14-2002, 07:19 PM
Member #2 ....Jeeezz
Charter Member

Originally posted by cashbrain
That's why spec classes work...same power same weight ...encourages real racing..it 's based on skill not variance of power
Dude , that's what F-1 and F2 are supposed to be about
Old 11-14-2002, 07:25 PM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,709 Likes on 3,785 Posts

how many boats ieven in the spec classes run 3 abreast through out the whole race?? F-1 gave a great show all season, and a couple of the super cat races were tight but to me it seems like one boat pulls away and thats how they finish. as for the lake races. i personnaly love the way the cleveland course is set up the four mile drag race in the breakwater then then the open water. plus you get to see the boats up close for a good strectch.
Old 11-14-2002, 07:57 PM
Registered

The most exciting race I have ever seen were F2s in the 99 Worlds in St Pete. I think there were 27 or more boats in that race. Seeing all those boats heading to the pier for the first turn was incredible.
Old 11-14-2002, 08:19 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

T2x is correct, without television the sport can never grow. Nascars number one and two audiences are Tampa and Philadelphia. That wouldn't be possible without tv. Plus the big tv contracts help support the sport, and bring in more sponsors. Now we just have to attract Fox.
Old 11-14-2002, 08:23 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

So what have we learned so far.

Reduce the classes to Supercat, F2, F1 and P1 - P5. I'm also adding my own two cents. If less than 4 boats show up in a class, they don't run.

The P boats run on Sat and the F1s and F2s are the warm up race for the main Sunday event in Supercat.

Only F1, F2 and Supercat get any TV coverage.

Get a TV crew that knows something about the sport and who can add some color.

Get a marketing maven to run the show.

Run all races in the ocean, some calm water during the race like running in and out of the Key West harbor is fine.

Place a 3 year moritorium on rule changes. Meaning that rules go into effect 3 years after they are announced.

Forget races with 4 left turns. Make the race course interesting with some lefts and right turns.

Have announcers at every paid admission event. (think about it, what other sporting event doesn't have an announcer for the fans who are watching live? Golf?)

When should this all take place? Three years from now.

Would these changes make the sport grow or just throw it into another tailspin?
Old 11-14-2002, 08:47 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Guys,

I would love to see atleast one "real offshore" race brought back into racing each year.

An idea would be : Miami to Bimini and back ( approximately 100 miles ) round trip with a live feed on TV for spectators to enjoy in a first class facility.The spectators would pay to watch on a big screen TV live and enjoy a few days of Party atmosphere before the race.Spectators would also get to know the racers at a better level .Spectators would also be allowed to watch the teams set up the race boats before the race at close range. Teams would need to be responsible for team uniforms and maintain their equipment on a first class level.

I think no more than 4 or 5 professional classes would be needed. I would love to have a Factory 1 and 2 shootout for manufactures to have bragging rights.

Have the award ceremony within an hour after the race to maintain spectators interested on who won and an opputunity to celebrate with the driver and throttle man and crew.

I am almost certain this would bring in more than 50 boats to compete if marketed correctly and large spetator parties with emphasis to the racers winning the race in each class.

A few years ago there was over 20 F2 and 15 F1 at a national event.

The awards ceremony now have the spectators gone home by the time the awards are handed out.

Spectators enjoy watching boats flying in the air, stuffing into a wave , cutting other racers off in a turn , and close competition with tight rules enforced on the teams.

I remember being a kid in the 70s and all the racers and spectators were always having a good time even though they would watch the race on edited taping.

Party ,Party,Party,People would look forward to go the races to party as much as to race.I remember it was fun back then.Most of the racers were bad boys without having to brag about it.

The small courses have brought penaltys , infractions , and tempers between teams. I will admit it has brought a higher level of competition and has gotten more professional.

Hey Steve David maybe we can help OPBRA put on a "real ocean " race like in years gone by? OPBRA stands for Offshore powerboat racing the oldest offshore club in the U.S.

This is my . 02 worth.

Regards,

JO - Panteraboats

Old 11-14-2002, 08:58 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb P- Class or Factory? P-Class and I have moved up!

Wild:

The only reason I switched to the Performance Class is due to not being able to pleasure boat (none at all). I wound up putting all my money in a Championship F1 Team and SVL and never go to go to the lake. I'll take my fast , plush , heavy Top Gun anyday. Hey we pass the F1 guys like their sitting still anyway - and that's definitely a blast! BH

PowerBoatTours.com P3-96

Last edited by THEJOKER; 11-14-2002 at 09:03 PM.

Quick Reply: How can this sport grow?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.