Notices

Mercury NXT shift linkage

Old 10-28-2020, 01:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mercury NXT shift linkage

Hi!

I'm repowering with a NXT-drive and transmission... I can't seem to find any clues or hints on how the shift linkage (at the transmission) is connected leaving me to improvise and probaly fabricate a solution (if no other solution is found).

Do anyone with NXT-transmission have the time to take a quick photo of the linkage (the linkage that connects directly to the transmission, not the shift plate (if installed))

I find one bolt on the flywheel housing that seems to be in line with the shift mechanism but it would be really helpful if I can have a look at a real installation to determine if thats the way to go or if I should come up with som fabricated fixture to fit and mount with some of the other bolts...

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by f242; 10-28-2020 at 02:04 AM.
Old 10-28-2020, 06:33 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

The cable end (red) is fixed to a stud mounted onto the flywheel housing.
The cable holder (black) is bolted snug- so it can pivot- to the shift linkage.
Very simple setup.
Old 10-28-2020, 06:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ahhh, EXACTLY what I was asking for, a big thank you. I was on the right trackthen, the bolt on the flywheel housing is in fact used.... but mounted "in reverse" from what I thought... the end of the wire is not attached to the shift lever but on the housing. This would create "a lot" of movement of the wire? A lot compared to fixed wire shell and moving cable end... Anyhow... its easy to reverse the direction of the wire in my installation if wanted...

Again THANK YOU very much.