Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Where Did They All Go? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/369877-where-did-they-all-go.html)

Rick G 01-03-2021 09:25 PM

I have to agree with Dan . There is only one boat I would trade my flat deck for and that is a 41 Apache . I built my my boat from a rigged hull I bought 7 years ago and it is probably not worth what I have in it . But I know what’s in it and I know it is solid ( needs paint ) and I have no desire to own a step hull. I think given the short supply and cost of new hardware I think people are staying invested the equipment they own for same reason Dan and I are . RG.

outlw36 01-04-2021 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation (Post 4771487)
While I can see what you are saying, I still disagree. Powerboats have always been expensive, a new twin step TG was 250K 20 years ago.

As far as the loss of OSO inventory, facebook/craigslist are free and they get way more traffic. Griff (OSO mod) even mentioned it in this thread earlier.

Less folks will tackle a project (no space, no time, no skills)
Old boats are harder to get insurance/financing for
Old boats are slower than new twin/triple engine OB options.

Finally if "demand has them all gone" then why does Nortech/Cigarette primarily produce OB CC's? I'd think if demand was strong for I/O performance V's then Sunsation/Formula would still be making them (they both stopped completely). OL seems to be the only one still pumping out I/O performance Vs. Sure others will build one (Fountain/Donzi) but when have you seen a new build lately? Phil at Lipship had built boats on spec for years, I can't remember the last time I saw a new Lipship build for an I/O. Heck even PBC isn't stocking new I/O boats right now and they are the biggest dealer in the country.

again, cc's may be hot along with cat's but that's new buyers with$$$. The average guy needs to buy used which puts them in the 2007 and earlier as that's when sales plummeted do to a slowing economy. When the economy started coming back in 2014 there was a 7 year lull of no v bottoms and a new cc craze but there's still a lot of used v bottom bottom buyers. Used dealers were looking for v bottoms to sell the last few years. Some have actually gone way up in value. I like cat's and cc's but I'll stay with my v bottom.

lake p.a.l. 01-04-2021 07:47 AM

We have a buddy with a 34 Powerquest with HP500s thats for sale. Well taken care, great stereo, fully enclosed custom cockpit to drive year round, trailer for $50k i believe he said he was asking. Its in Discovery Bay, CA

abones 01-04-2021 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by lake p.a.l. (Post 4771538)
We have a buddy with a 34 Powerquest with HP500s thats for sale. Well taken care, great stereo, fully enclosed custom cockpit to drive year round, trailer for $50k i believe he said he was asking. Its in Discovery Bay, CA

What year boat?

Jupiter Sunsation 01-04-2021 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by outlw36 (Post 4771522)
again, cc's may be hot along with cat's but that's new buyers with$$$. The average guy needs to buy used which puts them in the 2007 and earlier as that's when sales plummeted do to a slowing economy. When the economy started coming back in 2014 there was a 7 year lull of no v bottoms and a new cc craze but there's still a lot of used v bottom bottom buyers. Used dealers were looking for v bottoms to sell the last few years. Some have actually gone way up in value. I like cat's and cc's but I'll stay with my v bottom.

Funny you mention 2014, note this thread I posted in 2014 here on OSO:
https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/...00k-spend.html

Buyers have 500K to spend on any boat, new or used and you run the boat for 3 years and you have to sell the boat and you get to keep the net proceeds. I don't remember a single person buying a new performance I/O Vee bottom after 180+ posts. My point then and now is: If people won't buy new I/O vee bottoms with a fantasy 500K budget then what are the chances of them doing it with their own money? Slim.

Clean I/O stuff has definitely popped in value in markets like LOTO, the clean stuff with stock Merc power will always pull a premium but I don't think it is the general rule on the whole market. There are plenty of tired Fountains/Sonics/Bajas lingering in the classifieds. Not too much demand for 20+ year old triple 500 Fountains with bravos.

Wildman_grafix 01-04-2021 10:02 AM

I remember when you posted that and I think the flaw in the logic is thinking giving someone 500K is different than having the ability to spend 500K. What I mean is I would be one to buy older with the free money and fixing up,,, saving the rest for cost of operations. That is not the same as a person that can drop 500K and not worry about cost of operating it or what it will be worth in a couple years.

That buyer simply doesn't care.

As for the OB ver I/O,,,,,,, something is strange in the fact that not a lot of OB V performance boats are being made, other than Velocity that seems to be kicking them out. As for reliability, at the current prices by the time I can afford some of the stuff out there it will also be old. Think i will just keep what I got, I know how to work on I/O's,,,, outboards nope.

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation (Post 4771562)

Buyers have 500K to spend on any boat, new or used and you run the boat for 3 years and you have to sell the boat and you get to keep the net proceeds. I don't remember a single person buying a new performance I/O Vee bottom after 180+ posts. My point then and now is: If people won't buy new I/O vee bottoms with a fantasy 500K budget then what are the chances of them doing it with their own money? Slim.

Clean I/O stuff has definitely popped in value in markets like LOTO, the clean stuff with stock Merc power will always pull a premium but I don't think it is the general rule on the whole market. There are plenty of tired Fountains/Sonics/Bajas lingering in the classifieds. Not too much demand for 20+ year old triple 500 Fountains with bravos.

Interceptor 01-04-2021 11:05 AM

It may not be long before most everything with sterndrives is uninsurable due to age, poor survey or H.P numbers. Than you're looking at used O.B. power.

outlw36 01-04-2021 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation (Post 4771562)

500k isn't reality. 200k and under for the average guy maybe!

lake p.a.l. 01-04-2021 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by abones (Post 4771539)
What year boat?

Pretty sure its a 2000 model year

jeff32 01-04-2021 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Rick G (Post 4771511)
I have to agree with Dan . There is only one boat I would trade my flat deck for and that is a 41 Apache . I built my my boat from a rigged hull I bought 7 years ago and it is probably not worth what I have in it . But I know what’s in it and I know it is solid ( needs paint ) and I have no desire to own a step hull. I think given the short supply and cost of new hardware I think people are staying invested the equipment they own for same reason Dan and I are . RG.

why no step? unless you are racing and doing sharp turn, wich i dont think you do, what would be the downfall of a steped hull if you are just crusing waves straight ?