Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Mandatory Kill Switch Use- anybody else see this?? >

Mandatory Kill Switch Use- anybody else see this??

Notices

Mandatory Kill Switch Use- anybody else see this??

Old 01-15-2021, 07:08 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 851 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
1000`s of new laws get passed every year, nanny state laws like turn on your headlights if your wipers are on.
How about you build me some roads and schools and whatever other essential service that are needed, protect the border and stay the hell out of my life . I want less government involved in my life , not more.
Some laws are good, some aren't, to cast a blanket over their entirety is short sighted. I have no problem with a lanyard law, I've never not worn one. However using an ounce of water in my washing machine to get clothes clean is utter baloney. What's the point of a washing machine that doesn't use water or get your clothes clean? Over-reach for sure.
The following users liked this post:
thirdchildhood (01-18-2021)
Old 01-15-2021, 07:12 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 851 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by scarabman
Not really true. You have to thank the politicians who are willing to take the gain from the Insurance Lobbyists. Lobby Groups might bait the trap, but greedy politicians grab it.
Key point, people think its politicians driving these laws when it's really the very system these people seek to defend with lobbying making a mockery of it. I'm in the building trades and the amount of ridiculous codes being introduced are direct result of lobbying efforts and yes...fire codes (I know I know). And don't get me started on new energy codes...ALL lobby driven. You gotta look past the obvious and dig into the details of this stuff.
Old 01-18-2021, 10:46 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

All for the insurance company. Think your rate will go down? I think not.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tunastinger:
CDShack (01-18-2021), SB (03-12-2021)
Old 01-18-2021, 10:59 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by Tunastinger
All for the insurance company. Think your rate will go down? I think not.
Bingo ! Gold Star, Now Y’all have the root of the problem. Has anyone tried getting insurance on "High Performance" Boats lately? I was questioned for 15min on the phone about my background, ownership history, and use of the boat. This is just the Government giving to the big insurance company supporters. Wear it or don't, but if you don't you can expect to pay out on the lawsuit and continue to pay the lender back for the boat loan since you were dropped.
Old 01-18-2021, 11:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
I get where you are coming from, but it's not about ONLY your safety. It saves lives, yours, and others, just like seatbelts in cars; which has been law in all 50 states and beyond for years. Motorcycle mandatory helmet laws are really the only mandatory safety devices for YOUR protection, and no one else.

Boats, are really the only major vehicle category where an operator could become disabled, dislodged, or ejected, and the throttle still stays applied.
Such has been known to hurt, maim, and kill may people as a secondary incident.

Pardon the tangent, but follow along:
In theory, even you wearing your seatbelt in your car save my life; (just like the lanyard).
1) It prevents you from being ejected out of your vehicle and becoming a projectile. A projectile that could cause bodily harm or more.
2) It prevents you from becoming "something" I have to avoid with evasive action with my vehicle, after you've been ejected.
3) It could provide you the security to regain control and avoid a secondary impact (with my vehicle), if you have your seatbelt on, and stay conscious behind the controls (instead of displaced), you could potentially apply braking or steering inputs to avoid a secondary incident.

as Sherman potter would say. ‘horse hockey!’
Old 01-18-2021, 12:19 PM
Registered

Received 606 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy
Some laws are good, some aren't, to cast a blanket over their entirety is short sighted. I have no problem with a lanyard law, I've never not worn one. However using an ounce of water in my washing machine to get clothes clean is utter baloney. What's the point of a washing machine that doesn't use water or get your clothes clean? Over-reach for sure.
lol. I'll never buy another front loader. Always use the heavy duty cycle and don't overload it.
Brad Christy (12-07-2022)
Old 01-18-2021, 04:42 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Kill switch solution

I’m not a huge fan of kill switch lanyards either.
with a single engine boat a lanyard wasn’t too bad. But when I get a twin engine boat i didn’t like having to connect 2 lanyards, so I went to west marine an got a wireless kill switch. It works great. If I get thrown overboard or walk 20 feet from my boat engines cut off.I wear a watch ban sensor that connects me to my boat the switch is made by Fell Marine.

Last edited by Donskihp; 01-18-2021 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Want post at top of board not # 37
The following 2 users liked this post by Donskihp:
1960brookwood (01-19-2021), ICDEDPPL (01-18-2021)
Old 01-18-2021, 04:50 PM
Registered

Received 1,310 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by Donskihp
I’m not a huge fan of kill switch lanyards either.
with a single engine boat a lanyard wasn’t too bad. But when I get a twin engine boat i didn’t like having to connect 2 lanyards, so I went to west marine an got a wireless kill switch. It works great. If I get thrown overboard or walk 20 feet from my boat engines cut off.I wear a watch ban sensor that connects me to my boat the switch is made by Fell Marine.

My boat is a twin and has a single lanyard, I use one of the wrist straps. The only issue I have is forgetting its on and sometimes walking to get a rope and pulling it out.
SB (03-12-2021)
Old 01-18-2021, 05:27 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
My boat is a twin and has a single lanyard, I use one of the wrist straps. The only issue I have is forgetting its on and sometimes walking to get a rope and pulling it out.
Haha know that feeling. It always happens when there’s a ton of people that are trying to help to check your boat out and you are just too far away from the dock to play it off like a Captain Ron move and you have to scramble back to restart the boat.
Wildman_grafix (01-18-2021)
Old 01-18-2021, 08:44 PM
Registered

Received 606 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
I think we've all done that!
Wildman_grafix (01-18-2021)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.