Notices

Performance Cruisers

Old 11-19-2002, 03:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DIESELBRI64
A couple of questions:
Do you want a boat to stay overnight in for the weekend, and how old are the kids.
You may want to consider a cruiser with a separate sleeping area for the kids.
"extremely comfortable accomidations" Does this mean AC, Gen, Galley, head with separate shower? BTW, if you'll be staying overnight, a separate shower, from the rest of the head, is a must.
Gary
Old 11-19-2002, 03:33 PM
DIESELBRI64

Gary,

We do most of our boating in the Bays and oceans, we make a few weekend trips to Atlantic City, Cape May, but a lot in the chesapeake. My children are 12,9,7. Your defintion of comfortable is right on. AC/ heat, hot /cold water, tv/dvd player/ refridge and micro/ genny, galley. I am not real concerned with the seperate shower area because we keep the boat in a marina with those types of facilities. I am concerned about weekend sleeping in a dock, ability to "hang out" on the boat while docked. The other issue is that I think the boat is going to be kept in the water so I am going to have to do something(I did not type it) to the bottom. Has anyone ever seen a black thunder bottom painted? Dare I say that?

Old 11-19-2002, 03:46 PM
Intolerant1

I think the Sea Ray Express Cruisers are some of the nicest boats that would fit your needs but maybe a bit slower. There are alot of them on the used market.

Old 11-19-2002, 03:56 PM
Registered

No bottom paint. Around here, they keep them on lifts.
I've been on a 43 Black thunder, and It might be good enoght for an overnighter for 2, but forget about the kids. Not sure about the 46. I think you might be happier with a V berth and an aft sleep cabin tucked under the cockpit for the kids.
Time for you and your boat to grow up, you've got kids.
As for "hanging out" room for 5. Any sport boat layout is going to have a bit of a cramped cockpit. Especially when people are moving around (kids are always moving around). Consider more of an express cruiser layout like the Formula or Wellcraft Excalibur. Both of thse have the tuck under kids sleeping area too (is there a nautical name for this?).
Baja used to make a 35' express cruiser with this layout that could be powered to run in the 60s.
Sea Ray also used to make a 38SS express cruiser like this too that would run in the 50s.
Check out the formula, wellcraft, etc. on boat trader, you'll see what I mean.
My $0.02
Gary
Old 11-19-2002, 04:05 PM
Registered

Be very careful when buying a performance cruiser. If you are not going to put the boat on a lift or keep it on a trailer you must consider the that if it has outdrives they will become very expensive alka-selzers out there and may corride quickly even with zincs and other corrosion protection.

Also bottom paint will be a must which will slow you down.
Old 11-19-2002, 05:02 PM
Registered

Troutly is correct on the price of a FORMULA 400 SS in the Midwest, however, the dealers in your area generally will be around $285,000-$290,000 with the 496HO's. You will need the 500HP's to get over 60mph. Contact Trenton Marine in Trenton, NJ. or Full Tilt Marine in Grasonville, MD. or Woodbridge, VA.
Old 11-19-2002, 06:52 PM
Registered

I have a 1996 45' Wellcraft Excalibur that would fit your needs perfectly.Air, Generator, Heat, autopilot and 51 mph. Blowout priced at $129,000 call me at 410-463-3626
Old 11-19-2002, 10:36 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

the formula 370SS has the same cockpit space as the 400SS and the rear berth opens into the main cabin area, sorta sharing the space which majes it have as much USABLE room inside as well. The 400SS has a rear berth that is separated from the cabin.

Price is better on the 370, performance is better on the 370, USABLE room is the same.

Keep it on a lift, though.
A neighbor has a 400SS w/HP500's and it runs 60. You'll get similar speeds form a far cheaper 370SS w/black 496HOs.

I've got a Sea Ray Sundancer with lits of room and all the tvs and dvds and ps2s and a/c etc. Runs diesels, but tops out a little over 35. Longrange cruise is 31 mph.

Active Thunder 37 has a lot of room in it.
Old 11-20-2002, 06:49 AM
jb
Registered

I also would take a look at the wellcraft excaliber.
I believe Riviera still makes it for em. Also the Sunseeker Hawks would be definately worth checking out. Donzi has the 39

lots a great choices, wish I had your problem...
Old 11-20-2002, 07:09 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excalibers are now sold as Four Winns but are still made by Riviera. They are nice but not as fast as the Formula. I can only agree with all the other Formula comments here. 2 of my friends are interested in them right now so I have spent a lot of time learning about them. It is as close to what you want as anything on the market and a good value for the money. Troutly is right though, resale could hurt you with these wild a$$ finanace deals they have going. I suspect there will be a lot of Formulas for sale at too high prices in about 2 years when the finance plan terminates.

Quick Reply: Performance Cruisers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.