Notices

Fast small hulls

Old 08-01-2021, 09:16 AM
Registered

Received 315 Likes on 172 Posts

Here is a 24 without engine but is a canopy boat.

OffshoreOnly Classifieds - Boat Classifieds - Boat Parts

Padraig
Old 08-02-2021, 08:14 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

I'm throwing in my 2 cents and a Velocity 260 with a decent motor will haul and can handle a lot. I have a 280 with about 700hp and it runs 80+ with 5 big guys and a full tank.
The following 4 users liked this post by ThisIsLivin:
hogie roll (08-02-2021), Padraig (08-02-2021), Revd Up (08-03-2021), Smarty (08-03-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 09:03 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know of a rare 29 Power Quest with a single in it in western Michigan
It would be fast
Old 08-03-2021, 12:57 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

Here is your best choice at being fast with your power, for what is available in the market place at a reasonable starting price point being you have the engine, no bullsh*t, a 22' Velocity would work.

Here is one for sale, no power, no drive, build yourself a real hot-rod. Used 1998 Velocity 22, 98335 Gig Harbor - Boat Trader

I am not affiliated with the seller, and I am not familiar with this boat for sale.

Link: Used 1998 Velocity 22, 98335 Gig Harbor - Boat Trader - the ad "1998 Velocity 22 1998 Velocity 22’ on tandem axle trailer. Bimini top, full hydraulic steering, Racing k-planes, and Porta potty. Being sold with no power and no drive. $12,000"

Used 1998 Velocity 22, 98335 Gig Harbor - Boat Trader

Seller (per the ad):
Boat Shop Northwest
Phone: 253-528-7101
3818 Grandview ST
Gig Harbor, WA, 98335

I did not call to verify if it is still available

Last edited by Smarty; 08-03-2021 at 01:03 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Smarty:
bulletbob (08-03-2021), larslindroth (08-03-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 04:39 AM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I’m heading to Texas on thrusday to check out a 25’ talon copy, wish me luck
The following 3 users liked this post by marks86:
bulletbob (08-03-2021), larslindroth (08-03-2021), Smarty (08-03-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 10:53 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by marks86
I’m heading to Texas on thrusday to check out a 25’ talon copy, wish me luck
That is a great choice
Old 08-03-2021, 12:22 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 78 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
Apologies back at you as well. Bad day at work, tad too much Crown?

Went off for no good reason, for so long on here Fountains have been bashed for any and every reason known to man. Hell some hate the boats cause Reggie used hair dye.

I have owned two over a period of 16+ years and have never suffered from all the problems claimed to be so common to the brand.

I'm a Reggie fan to the core, love the look, love the Beak / and there is a reason for it's design not at all related to go fast chit . I love my boat, and though I do not use it as much as in years past I just do not seem to find a boat that I would replace it with.

Frosted Mini Wheats are the cereal of choice here. :-}

lol.

No worries, been there, stepped in that .

I kid you not, friends stopped over Saturday night with a 5th of Crown and I started laughing & he naturally asked what was so funny.

I said "It's a long story, but the short version is I made a smart azz comment which was only funny the first 4,500 times and the 4,501st someone rightfully called me out on it".

Don't take this wrong, but I cannot stand frosted mini wheats.

Sorry to OP for hijacking the thread a bit.

I don't know anything about Talons, other than I think they're cool. There used to be a mid 20ish version on a lake a few miles from us with a big - for that time - outboard and the boat ran and handled well.
There is a 20 something ? on our lake running an IO version with dry exhaust (which got him in trouble) and a pretty healthy motor and while it runs good, he seems to have trouble in the turns.

Be careful with "copies" and do your homework.

1. Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.
The following 2 users liked this post by Slippery:
larslindroth (08-03-2021), Padraig (08-03-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 12:44 PM
Registered

What are some of the things I should be looking for in a 25 talon copy?
Old 08-03-2021, 01:26 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 78 Likes on 37 Posts

I don't know enough about Talons or their clones to be able to tell you specifically what's good or bad.

How is the bottom ? My son just bought a beautiful used Donzi, and later found out the hull had several blisters on the boat which were almost impossible to see & I'll bet the guy who sold him the boat didn't know they were there either...they aren't serious and wouldn't have kept him from buying the boat, but....the point is get a pool or lake float and a flashlight and lay under the boat and look for "stuff". Lay a straight edge and look for hook or rocker....it may be designed with either but I think too much of either is a bad thing because I'd guess it means they're trying to correct a different issue...or they simply popped it from the mold early.

Wavy gelcoat or any indications of print through ?

How's the wiring ? Neat ? Or does it look like a 3rd grader did it ?

In general, I'd look at overall fit & finish and if it looks like something was shortcut where it's obvious, what is the builder doing in places you can't see ?

Stress cracks ? How is the hull and deck put together ? Seats bolted or screwed to the floor ?

Can you find one of those gizmos which measure moisture in the hull or stringers ? (the guys who do marine surveys use them)

Look at rigging. Full length stringers ? motor mounts ? Are lock nuts used ? I can tell you about an almost horror story that happened to me. We ordered a 2010 Malibu Wakesetter V-drive and after taking delivery and putting some hours on it we loaded up the family and did the "Crooked Lake / Indian River / Burt Lk / Mullet Lk stay in Cheboygan go through the locks out to the straits of Mackinac and back" trip. When we got home we were cleaning the boat and in the bilge I found 3 large nuts. It turns out they were from the coupler from the engine to the transmission, all were loose and 3 were gone & if that had happened while we were running 30 mph in the straits it likely would have put a hole in the bottom of the boat. That would have been damned inconvenient.

As an opinion, I always considered fuel tank size a pretty good indicator of a builder's confidence in their rigging because you're talking about nearly 8 lbs / gal in one spot on the boat.

If it's a copy, I'd try to find out who built the boat and contact them and also search for anyone with any stories.

I bought a copy of a Cheyenne and the boat was great; ran well and stopped straight when experiencing a power loss (code for "blown motor") & that outfit also made a larger air boat which looked a lot like an American Offshore. I had a friend who owned one and was happy with it but there are some stories where people weren't happy...but keep in mind if you look for "bad stuff" on the 'net, you're going to find it. Take all the "experts" and their stories with a grain of salt.

If you can find out who built it, maybe post up on some of the other performance forums looking for info. I don't know the politics of mentioning other sites on this one, but there are some Hi - Perf sites which focus a bit more on smaller hot rod stuff. I think Talons were primarily intended for outboard power & if someone is splashing the mold I'd sure think one of the outboard sites would have some good info & there is a group called "Outboard Church" who probably could steer you in the right direction.

Hope that helps...I'd start with what's the brand name and the history of the people building them and if anyone else has experience having owned that hull.

cheers & good luck...

1. Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.
The following users liked this post:
larslindroth (08-03-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 01:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Slippery
I don't know enough about Talons or their clones to be able to tell you specifically what's good or bad.

How is the bottom ? My son just bought a beautiful used Donzi, and later found out the hull had several blisters on the boat which were almost impossible to see & I'll bet the guy who sold him the boat didn't know they were there either...they aren't serious and wouldn't have kept him from buying the boat, but....the point is get a pool or lake float and a flashlight and lay under the boat and look for "stuff". Lay a straight edge and look for hook or rocker....it may be designed with either but I think too much of either is a bad thing because I'd guess it means they're trying to correct a different issue...or they simply popped it from the mold early.

Wavy gelcoat or any indications of print through ?

How's the wiring ? Neat ? Or does it look like a 3rd grader did it ?

In general, I'd look at overall fit & finish and if it looks like something was shortcut where it's obvious, what is the builder doing in places you can't see ?

Stress cracks ? How is the hull and deck put together ? Seats bolted or screwed to the floor ?

Can you find one of those gizmos which measure moisture in the hull or stringers ? (the guys who do marine surveys use them)

Look at rigging. Full length stringers ? motor mounts ? Are lock nuts used ? I can tell you about an almost horror story that happened to me. We ordered a 2010 Malibu Wakesetter V-drive and after taking delivery and putting some hours on it we loaded up the family and did the "Crooked Lake / Indian River / Burt Lk / Mullet Lk stay in Cheboygan go through the locks out to the straits of Mackinac and back" trip. When we got home we were cleaning the boat and in the bilge I found 3 large nuts. It turns out they were from the coupler from the engine to the transmission, all were loose and 3 were gone & if that had happened while we were running 30 mph in the straits it likely would have put a hole in the bottom of the boat. That would have been damned inconvenient.

As an opinion, I always considered fuel tank size a pretty good indicator of a builder's confidence in their rigging because you're talking about nearly 8 lbs / gal in one spot on the boat.

If it's a copy, I'd try to find out who built the boat and contact them and also search for anyone with any stories.

I bought a copy of a Cheyenne and the boat was great; ran well and stopped straight when experiencing a power loss (code for "blown motor") & that outfit also made a larger air boat which looked a lot like an American Offshore. I had a friend who owned one and was happy with it but there are some stories where people weren't happy...but keep in mind if you look for "bad stuff" on the 'net, you're going to find it. Take all the "experts" and their stories with a grain of salt.

If you can find out who built it, maybe post up on some of the other performance forums looking for info. I don't know the politics of mentioning other sites on this one, but there are some Hi - Perf sites which focus a bit more on smaller hot rod stuff. I think Talons were primarily intended for outboard power & if someone is splashing the mold I'd sure think one of the outboard sites would have some good info & there is a group called "Outboard Church" who probably could steer you in the right direction.

Hope that helps...I'd start with what's the brand name and the history of the people building them and if anyone else has experience having owned that hull.

cheers & good luck...
wow thanks for all the advice will definitely take into consideration; will keep you posted

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.