Notices

Fast small hulls

Old 07-30-2021, 12:53 AM
Registered

Received 635 Likes on 293 Posts

A good choice might be a Michael Peters' designed Maelstrom 23. A couple per year usually come up for sale. In other words, they are rare, but not impossible to find.

One is for sale in Lake Havasu now and that's kind of far to go for you, but if you stuck your motor in that you'd see triple digits. They're famous for providing a stable

ride and handle chop well. Length almost 24' and a wide 8'6" beam.

1990 23? Maelstrom Closed Bow ? The Boat Brokers

The following users liked this post:
CDShack (07-30-2021)
Old 07-30-2021, 04:05 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Spyder V24 from Germany
Old 07-30-2021, 02:26 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 84 Likes on 39 Posts

Just thinking out loud, but the ski race crowd stuffs big power in relatively small hulls and they go ridiculously fast pulling a pair of skiers. (check out the Bridge to Bridge race if you really want to fall down a rabbit hole)

Think 1350 hp in front of a 6 drive - or 2 - in a 7.14 meter boat @ 120 mph

We've already established that boat length is fairly open to interpretation lol but I believe due to class requirements I'm guessing they get as much done in a small hull as anyone while handling the power and being controllable.

If you could find one of those hulls from someone changing class or retiring ? You'd have something unique and may have a boat with "real" race history. I'd think a healthy 502 would push one of those hulls well enough to blow your hair back.

I don't know all the hulls, but Bernico is a big player and is nearly 24', and Nordic in CA makes a 21 Cyclone (which is smaller than you want) but has no platform and a short deck meaning - without throwing any rocks or bruising any egos - your real running surface might be comparable to a "larger" boat with a built in platform and more deck.

cheers

1. Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.
The following users liked this post:
larslindroth (07-30-2021)
Old 07-30-2021, 03:17 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by larslindroth
A good choice might be a Michael Peters' designed Maelstrom 23. A couple per year usually come up for sale. In other words, they are rare, but not impossible to find.

One is for sale in Lake Havasu now and that's kind of far to go for you, but if you stuck your motor in that you'd see triple digits. They're famous for providing a stable

ride and handle chop well. Length almost 24' and a wide 8'6" beam.

1990 23? Maelstrom Closed Bow ? The Boat Brokers

Good call on the Maelstrom. Those are cool little boats and seem to be fast hulls.
Old 07-30-2021, 04:58 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Slippery
1- It's "cruise"

2 - Apologies man, I didn't mean to piss in your Cheerios, all the real FOUNTAIN owners I know aren't seriously sensitive about the beak. I won't tell the story, but it's out there, of an owner who was so insensitive when class rules were changed he applied a sawzall to a nearly new fountain to get his OAL within limits. FWIW I'm a fan, I love what RF did for both the industry and the sport, and the beak and platform were genius from both a marketing standpoint AND for insurance purposes RE HP per length calculations.

3 - I can afford one, left hand sticks don't work for me. And 200 ? No. Not 200.

4 - Seriously, I don't want to turn this into a pissing contest and it wasn't my intent to hurt anyone's feelings. If I ever bring one of the boats to NY the first round is on me by way of apology.

s

Apologies back at you as well. Bad day at work, tad too much Crown?

Went off for no good reason, for so long on here Fountains have been bashed for any and every reason known to man. Hell some hate the boats cause Reggie used hair dye.

I have owned two over a period of 16+ years and have never suffered from all the problems claimed to be so common to the brand.

I'm a Reggie fan to the core, love the look, love the Beak / and there is a reason for it's design not at all related to go fast chit . I love my boat, and though I do not use it as much as in years past I just do not seem to find a boat that I would replace it with.

Frosted Mini Wheats are the cereal of choice here. :-}
The following 5 users liked this post by RaggedEdge:
bulletbob (08-02-2021), larslindroth (07-30-2021), Padraig (07-30-2021), SB (08-03-2021), Slippery (08-03-2021)
Old 07-30-2021, 05:11 PM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by hogie roll
With a 502?
yes sir
Old 07-31-2021, 02:15 PM
Registered

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by boostbros
BlackCloud....... is coming back to life! Blackcloud Rising.....lol its a lot of work but an awesome boat!
Tried pm’ing you, inbox is full. Very interested in this project as we have a asd 388 as well (Bravo conversion, not 8’s). If you care to share.
Old 07-31-2021, 08:06 PM
Registered

Received 447 Likes on 245 Posts

i emptied the box out kinda strange in todays world it only holds 10 messages Blackcloud has been a very hard charging beast id love to share info
Old 07-31-2021, 08:11 PM
Registered

Received 569 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by marks86
yes sir
Gonna have to be a wild one, or the latest and greatest hull
Old 08-01-2021, 07:53 AM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by hogie roll
Gonna have to be a wild one, or the latest and greatest hull
a 502 with Canfield heads and a whipple on top should be around 700hp, with the right hull and setup I should be very close to my goal

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.