Notices

Whats about this?? HELP

Old 08-03-2021, 07:51 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And it sounds a bit silly, but I still have doubts as to whether it is really a 38 Kv or a 38 ... Help with that, which model is it really? I notice that it is quite personalized
Old 08-03-2021, 08:16 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

KV stands for ‘Kaama Version’, a tribute to Betty Cook’s race boat. I don’t know what the differences were but I think it was only minor.

Some people believe KV stands for Kaama Vice after the Miami Vice tv show but the KV Scarabs were released a few years before the tv show was produced so it can’t be so. 🙂

Another misunderstanding, it does not refer to Kevlar in the lay up. The few boats built with Kevlar, I think they have an additional marking under the H.I.N. to identify them.

RR
Old 08-03-2021, 08:51 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rak rua
KV stands for ‘Kaama Version’, a tribute to Betty Cook’s race boat. I don’t know what the differences were but I think it was only minor.

Some people believe KV stands for Kaama Vice after the Miami Vice tv show but the KV Scarabs were released a few years before the tv show was produced so it can’t be so. 🙂

Another misunderstanding, it does not refer to Kevlar in the lay up. The few boats built with Kevlar, I think they have an additional marking under the H.I.N. to identify them.

RR

Thank you very much for the information, I have seen a lot that of "kaama vice" Now I know that it is kaama version. I have searched a bit and kaama means "a large African antelope with lyre-shaped horns" which in a ship I suppose it refers to its great length and their sharp shapes similar to the horns of a kaama, and so on. truth? Or it is simply a striking name for a version ... I don't know, but I hardly see differences between a KV and a normal 38, I know that the 38 is older but just that ... Does anyone know the differences between a kv and a normal one , and can you identify the model from my photos?

Last edited by Benjale87; 08-03-2021 at 08:55 AM.
Old 08-03-2021, 11:00 AM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts

^ ^
Like R/R said the name 'KAAMA' was coined by the late (and amazing) Betty Cook and used on her race boats. Another spinoff of her success was the introduction of the 'Kaama drives' her version of Arnesons . If you google for a few images you'll see she used a stylized image of a Kaama on the hull sides that matches your description.
The following users liked this post:
rak rua (08-03-2021)