Notices

New Cocaine Cowboys

Old 08-08-2021, 12:51 AM
Registered

Received 638 Likes on 295 Posts
Default Drugs, an American legacy.

Found this interview with the series' director Billy Corbin. Even though he mentions that these crimes are "never worth it", it's simply horrific that so many folks are currently totally fascinated with the drug trade,

may it be in the '70s and '80s, or at present time. How many hard-working good families' lives have gotten destroyed by drugs? Sal Magluta's parents and other extended family members sure lost everything.

I found this docu-series informative and pretty well made, though the glorification of the fast money lifestyle at times was distasteful. In the last 15 years, more than 250,000 people have lost their lives in Mexico

due to the drug wars, and the ever prevalent, contemporary 'Narco drama series entertainment' is now very far removed from the 'Sonny' Crockett and 'Rico' Tubbs TV days. The first huge personal fortunes made

by Americans were by men like Astor, Delano, Mellon, and many others, who smuggled tons of opium into Imperial China against the Emporer's wishes. In the last 100 years, Americans are the biggest consumers

of drugs, and though providers like Mexicans are paying a steep price, we will in the end, sadly be the big losers if nothing changes.

Billy Corben interview link:

Last edited by larslindroth; 08-08-2021 at 01:14 AM.
Old 08-08-2021, 08:01 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by frickstyle
Told my wife last night (while watching it) that after the drug money went away, so did the race boats. Made sense because they had so much cash to spend. I do not support the activities, but it was certainly a different time, wild for sure.

On a side note, APA should promote more of what they did in St Clair with the "old school" class. I would be interested to do one of those in my boat. It's really neat to see all of those old boats.
the old school race was very cool. I really liked seeing those guys out there

watching cocaine cowboys now, great footage and pretty good documentary
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 08-09-2021, 08:27 AM
Registered

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

I found it interesting that my 1988 Pantera race boat has a marking on the dash, Specially built for Dolphin Office Supply. The same place that Sal was arrested at in 1988.
The following 5 users liked this post by Aqua Banshee:
87MirageIntruder (08-09-2021), dykstra (08-10-2021), HOSSMAN (08-09-2021), MrMandinga (08-14-2021), SB (08-19-2021)
Old 08-09-2021, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 302 Likes on 156 Posts

We watched it this past weekend. Really enjoyed it. I was amazed how vast/deep their empire was. They controlled everything and everyone it seemed.
Old 08-09-2021, 10:23 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by larslindroth
Found this interview with the series' director Billy Corbin. Even though he mentions that these crimes are "never worth it", it's simply horrific that so many folks are currently totally fascinated with the drug trade,

may it be in the '70s and '80s, or at present time. How many hard-working good families' lives have gotten destroyed by drugs? Sal Magluta's parents and other extended family members sure lost everything.

I found this docu-series informative and pretty well made, though the glorification of the fast money lifestyle at times was distasteful. In the last 15 years, more than 250,000 people have lost their lives in Mexico

due to the drug wars, and the ever prevalent, contemporary 'Narco drama series entertainment' is now very far removed from the 'Sonny' Crockett and 'Rico' Tubbs TV days. The first huge personal fortunes made

by Americans were by men like Astor, Delano, Mellon, and many others, who smuggled tons of opium into Imperial China against the Emporer's wishes. In the last 100 years, Americans are the biggest consumers

of drugs, and though providers like Mexicans are paying a steep price, we will in the end, sadly be the big losers if nothing changes.

Billy Corben interview link:

Binge watched the whole thing. Good flick!

Heck, 90% of the people on OSO glorified Don Johnson, or we wouldnt be here... LOL Cant say its better than the current generation glamorizing rappers and the Kardashians...

The old school Miami stories are fascinating. My x-wife grew up in Homestead and lived thru the 70's, 80's and 90's. She hung out at the Dadeland mall before and after Griselda Blanco's thugs drove by and killed a bunch of people. Both of my best friends grew up in Miami and have really interesting stories about neighborhood parties with a lot of white stuff on the tables when they were 8 years old and how many of their parents found a bale of this or a kilo of that and sold it and bought a house. We were looking at old pictures a while back at her parents house circa late 70's early 80's, her Dad standing in front of a 60's vette wearing (of course) a cowboy hat, cowboy boots, jeans and a flanel. He is like 6 feet tall, black bushy hair. I didnt even realize it was her Dad. I said: "Who the hell is that, Pablo Escobar?" her Dad from the other room "Pretty damn close". I lost my chit laughing... He's 75 years old now, devout Christian. It was a way of life....

The following users liked this post:
jusabum (10-19-2021)
Old 08-09-2021, 10:32 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

If you pause it at 28 minutes in episode 1 you can see my boat in the background. Or should I say you can at least see the boat number 31. As soon as we started watching my wife said she wouldn't be surprised if I snuck in there somewhere.
The following users liked this post:
larslindroth (08-09-2021)
Old 08-09-2021, 10:40 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,052 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta

Heck, 90% of the people on OSO glorified Don Johnson, or we wouldnt be here... LOL Cant say its better than the current generation glamorizing rappers and the Kardashians...

The old school Miami stories are fascinating. My x-wife grew up in Homestead and lived thru the 70's, 80's and 90's. She hung out at the Dadeland mall before and afterGriselda Blanco's thugs drove by and killed a bunch of people. Both of my best friends grew up in Miami and have really interesting stories about neighborhood parties with a lot of white stuff on the tables when they were 8 years old and how many of their parents found a bale of this or a kilo of that and sold it and bought a house. We were looking at old pictures a while back at her parents house circa late 70's early 80's, her Dad standing in front of a 60's vette wearing (of course) a cowboy hat, cowboy boots, jeans and a flanel. He is like 6 feet tall, black bushy hair. I didnt even realize it was her Dad. I said: "Who the hell is that, Pablo Escobar?" her Dad from the other room "Pretty damn close". I lost my chit laughing... He's 75 years old now, devout Christian. It was a way of life....
That woman was pure evil, killed her own family members including her husband
The following 3 users liked this post by F-2 Speedy:
dykstra (08-10-2021), Joe (10-18-2021), larslindroth (08-09-2021)
Old 08-09-2021, 12:27 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

My wife and I binged watched the entire series this past Sunday. I was down in Florida a lot in the mid 80's playing in bands in clubs around Lauderdale and Miami and all over Florida and east coast. I did not pay much attention to the drug trade or what was really happening all around me as I was interested in other things. It was very interesting to see the places on the show that all this took place in or near that I know of.
Old 08-09-2021, 12:53 PM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta

.........and how many of their parents found a bale of this or a kilo of that and sold it and bought a house..
LOL , that reminds me of a story that my late neighbor told me about 30 years ago , at least. He was more well known in sailing circles having crossed the Atlantic a few times than as a power boater.
Apparently he had a friend who had a substantial sailboat that he kept at a Marina in Miami and he was always 'on the lookout'. in case it was going to be his lucky day. His friend always maintained that if he ever found anything , bucket , bale , you name it he was going to place it in the open on the forward deck of the boat on the trip back to port.
Should the coast guard stop him the first thing he was going to say was 'Look at what I found !'
If he made it back to the marina instead no-one was going to know any better .
The following 3 users liked this post by madbouyz:
96scarab (08-19-2021), Eddienel (08-09-2021), larslindroth (08-09-2021)
Old 08-09-2021, 01:52 PM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

The Whittington brothers that were involved in pot smuggling and race cars bought Road Atlanta race track since one of the straightaways was conveniently long enough to land an airplane loaded with whatever. They would fly two planes close together and one would inbound to ATL and the other peel off to the race course.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.