Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Regarding Cigarette (or any performance boats) engine sizes and reliability.... >

Regarding Cigarette (or any performance boats) engine sizes and reliability....

Notices

Regarding Cigarette (or any performance boats) engine sizes and reliability....

Old 08-05-2021, 08:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 50 Likes on 14 Posts

I only want inboards. That’s what I’ve lusted after since before episode 1 of Miami Vice. I just need to do it. I’ve ridden on a couple and was in heaven. I’m expecting 5K-10K per year average maintenance. Some years will be much less, some will be much more.

I am looking for a 38’-42’. I’m pretty settled on a cigarette. I think if I get anything else, I’ll always be unsatisfied.
Old 08-05-2021, 09:44 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 504 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by enzo thecat
I only want inboards. That’s what I’ve lusted after since before episode 1 of Miami Vice. I just need to do it. I’ve ridden on a couple and was in heaven. I’m expecting 5K-10K per year average maintenance. Some years will be much less, some will be much more.

I am looking for a 38’-42’. I’m pretty settled on a cigarette. I think if I get anything else, I’ll always be unsatisfied.
The best advice I can give you is pick the size engines you think you want and call a few engine builders to give you rough estimates on top end work and so forth. This will help guide you to knowing what things will cost down the road.
Old 08-05-2021, 10:44 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

A 38TS with 500EFI’s and at least SCX uppers would be a good platform to start with
Old 08-06-2021, 12:46 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 619 Likes on 181 Posts

Since they didn't make 500 efi's in 2008 you are looking at 525's as the best choice, second would be 700's but lot more expensive to purchase
Old 08-06-2021, 05:38 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by H20 Toie
Since they didn't make 500 efi's in 2008 you are looking at 525's as the best choice, second would be 700's but lot more expensive to purchase
Check the headers
Old 08-06-2021, 06:21 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 597 Likes on 275 Posts

Call PBC and get the 38 w Zul motors and SCXs. problem solved.

then come have some Fun
The following 3 users liked this post by Quinlan:
Eddienel (08-06-2021), Indy (08-06-2021), Smarty (08-06-2021)
Old 08-06-2021, 07:59 AM
Registered

Received 434 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
" BOAT " ................ . BRING OUT ANOTHER THOUSAND !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you're doing it right, it's more like "break out another ten thousand", in multiples.
The following users liked this post:
DrFeelgood (08-06-2021)
Old 08-06-2021, 08:06 AM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

Whomever decided that boat was spelled with a single "T" never had twins that would go over 60mph
Old 08-06-2021, 08:18 AM
Registered

Received 971 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
I'll defer to RaggedEdge. I'm not an engine guru nor do I have experience with blue motors.

Agree that poster should stick to mercury black or outboards. I prefer the outboards for low maintenance boating.
Agreed. Had a Cig Cafe Racer for a couple of years, to scratch that itch. Got tired of being bent over a barrel to have work done on I/Os, or bending myself into a pretzel to get into the bilge for things like sea pump maintenance. Sold it and bought a 28 Manta with twin 250 Outboards, runs just as fast and I can stand on the swim platform/engine bracket to do most repairs or maintenance. My back and wallet thanks me.

I'd still consider another I/O boat but it would have to be a single, or staggered twins($$$) to avoid some of the issues with big twins in an 8' beam.

If it's an itch you need to scratch then by all means do it -- otherwise you'll always wonder. It's one of those things that you have to experience firsthand (the good and the bad).

Last edited by DrFeelgood; 08-06-2021 at 08:36 AM.
Lute Dickey (08-06-2021)
Old 08-06-2021, 09:28 AM
Registered

Received 187 Likes on 97 Posts

Which engines seem to be the most reliable? As I look at boats for sale, I notice a lot have new engines or have had major services in recent past. It makes me wonder what engines tend to be the most reliable. I think I notice a trend that 500 size engines are replaced more than 700s. It also makes me wonder if increasing engine sizes means more or less maintenance. For me, reliability is probably more important than performance. If anyone with experience on the topic would care to elaborate, I'd welcome the education.

Best to all,

e
If you’re buying a used performance go fast I’d recommend one that has recently been rebuilt by a reputable engine builder. You can call the shop that did the work and generally they can tell you what you need to know about boat as they just worked on it as well as an expected annual budget for maintenance/rebuild cycles etc. Definitely get a blue motor minimum, sound alone is worth the admission. As the others have all mentioned performance boating is expensive but worth it! So in conclusion the most reliable will be the one with the freshest rebuilds by a reputable engine builder.
enzo thecat (08-06-2021)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.