1998 Baja 272

Old 10-20-2021, 09:07 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated!
Old 10-21-2021, 07:09 AM
Registered

Received 324 Likes on 149 Posts

A 502Mag will run 1000 hrs if it’s not been severely abused. Maybe need head gaskets/valve grind, but the bottom end is really well built.
Old 10-21-2021, 07:11 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 181 Likes on 68 Posts

Based on the numerous pictures you posted, I'd (personally) pass. It's not very clean or well taken care of. The interior appears to be cleaned up, but still appears to be dirty. That always bothers me because you don't know how bad it really was. One good smell will tell you a ton. The gelcoat is oxidized and no matter what everybody tells you about it "just needing a good buff," once it's oxidized, you're going to be buffing it every year. I can't tell with 100% certainty, but that appears to be an aftermarket replacement drive. I'm not a huge fan of them. That said, it's your decision, not mine.
The following 2 users liked this post by Too Stroked:
92nsx (10-22-2021), HOSSMAN (10-21-2021)
Old 10-21-2021, 07:26 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 628 Likes on 289 Posts

Thanks for the pics. So...okay, now one sees why the low price. It isn't TERRIBLE by any means and definitely needs a lot of TLC, but...a lot of 'elbow grease' and some cleaners/waxes/conditioners will go a long ways towards big improvements for little money.
IMHO, one thing that HAS to go is that subwoofer in the engine bay...Jebus...talk about a potential disaster waiting to happen! No one would or SHOULD insure that boat with that spark hazard present...it really amazes me how ignorant some people are. And whilst ranting...those transom tie downs that are doing NOTHING but yanking and twisting on the trim tabs? Wow! Ok, climbing down from the pulpit...you have the right idea on the compression test and other tests like for moisture, etc in mind. It just seems, once again going by only what you've posted, that this boat hasn't had a home for long periods of time...which could mean nothing OR could mean it has serious issues; issues that possibly weren't apparent to the previous two buyers, who realized it had to GO. It would be real interesting to see exactly how many owners it's had over the years.

I've seen far worse-looking boats for sale in the area I live in for that or more money so, IMHO again...it's a good buy at $20K. Shoot...see if they'll go down to $18.5, lol! Well...'good buy' provided there's no water intrusion and the engine is sound. The Heritage trailer is as good as it gets...probably worth $5K right there.

Last edited by bajaman; 10-21-2021 at 07:29 AM.
Old 10-21-2021, 08:09 AM
Registered

Thanks for all the input. I think it would be worth my time to at least go look at it for that price. Trying to get a compression check today. Will advise all. What kind of numbers should I be looking for on good compression?
Old 10-21-2021, 08:21 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,052 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Id think in the 135-150 range, do a leak down also
Old 10-21-2021, 08:25 AM
Registered

Received 132 Likes on 53 Posts

Personally I'd pass, if you don't and move forward with the purchase, like others said make sure someone the owner doesn't know does a proper moisture test and I'd do a compression test as well, I would be willing to bet there are some soft spots in my experience, how is the floor under the drivers bolster area? Drive is missing decals so it has been replaced, rebuilt or something...JMO, people usually don't just peel them off for the heck of it. Tips are filthy, bottom is yellowed so it hasn't been maintained, I would bet the bilge is dirty too. Like others have said a lot of clean-up, elbow-grease and TLC but if checks out they are great boats, I sold them for years.

Flip side, it doesn't matter what we all think, it matters what you think, 272's are great boats, great "bang for the buck" and handle rougher water very well for their size. The cockpit and cabin sizes are bigger than all the competitors and they are safe, fairly easy to work on boats. If you like it and the price is right and you feel good about it, go for it! All boats float, go forwards and backwards, doesn't matter what brand or what you buy as long as you are happy.
Old 10-21-2021, 08:26 AM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 374 Posts

I would have them perform a moisture test before driving 7 hours.

structural and water intrusion concerns would worry me more than engine condition.
The following users liked this post:
liberator221 (10-21-2021)
Old 10-21-2021, 08:47 AM
Registered

All great advice. Thanks for all the openness. Have truly decided yet which way I am leaning.
Old 10-21-2021, 05:14 PM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

There is a Baja, looks to a 27' in Benton, KY at Lake Life Powersports and Marine. May give them a call 270.257.6841 or drop by if you are in the area. (no affiliation just saw it sitting there the other day)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.