Registered

Received 253 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by onesickpantera
Fixed it for you.
thank you, you are correct.
Old 10-29-2021, 07:47 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 62 Posts

Is Lanyard the same? If so I try when alone I do with wife not so much? Do it safe bet to use it! If we're talking about the same thing?
Old 10-30-2021, 01:08 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Just a question for you: If you got tossed from your 22 Donzi could you reboard the boat in cold water wearing "winter clothes" (assuming it doesn't have a boarding ladder, never seen a 22 with one).
YES I could and no boarding ladder. I climb the drive. I'm 67 years old and could absolutely do that.
The following 2 users liked this post by thirdchildhood:
Smarty (10-30-2021), ThisIsLivin (11-01-2021)
Old 10-30-2021, 01:18 PM
Registered

Well this turned into a real cluster F and that's not what I intended. You'd think it was the off season or something. lol. I was just posting an instance where a lanyard, and every outboard I've seen has one, probably would have saved a life. Laws won't change anything and I probably should have worded the thread title differently. We just need to wear the tethers for our own safety and the safety of others from a runaway boat.
Old 10-30-2021, 02:47 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I don’t think it was a cluster F. These topics are complicated and have nuance. What seems simple/harmless, like “wear a mask”, has a lot more to it than just the action..
Old 10-30-2021, 02:49 PM
Registered

Received 146 Likes on 80 Posts

In my humble opinion we are not talking about a stopped boat and a strong sober person falling into calm water . A tether is designed for a boat in motion and the operator falls out and rather than the boat continue along its targeted course the motor shut-off hopefully allowing the operator to climb back on or allow others on the boat to turn around and pull the driver out of the water . Im guessing I'm as strong and in shape as most people on the site but if my boat is slowly motoring away at 10mph I'm f@@ked . All I can compare it to is the old school jet skis that would circle around until you could climb back on and we were in warm water with life jackets.
The following users liked this post:
thirdchildhood (10-31-2021)
Old 10-30-2021, 07:48 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,752 Likes on 1,237 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
Well this turned into a real cluster F and that's not what I intended. You'd think it was the off season or something. lol. I was just posting an instance where a lanyard, and every outboard I've seen has one, probably would have saved a life. Laws won't change anything and I probably should have worded the thread title differently. We just need to wear the tethers for our own safety and the safety of others from a runaway boat.
Not at all. I think you started a good conversation. For while I completely understand why people don't like helmet and seat belt laws I do believe in them from the standpoints of saving lives and economics. It's hard to deny how many lives and how much money (EMS, medical care, cremation costs, etc.) they save. This is where a law that curtails an individual's freedom to be stupid makes sense.

But while I also don't know a single responsible boat owner who doesn't wear his lanyard—and I get to work with some of the best of them—when he's at the helm I don't believe anywhere close to the same savings would be realized with a lanyard law. Nor do I believe it would alter anyone's behavior in a significant way. So why have a law? Legislation for its own sake is pointless.
The following 5 users liked this post by Matt Trulio:
KWright (10-30-2021), SABER28 (10-30-2021), speicher lane (10-31-2021), thirdchildhood (10-31-2021), Too Stroked (10-31-2021)
Old 10-31-2021, 10:12 AM
Registered

Received 253 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
Not at all. I think you started a good conversation. For while I completely understand why people don't like helmet and seat belt laws I do believe in them from the standpoints of saving lives and economics. It's hard to deny how many lives and how much money (EMS, medical care, cremation costs, etc.) they save. This is where a law that curtails an individual's freedom to be stupid makes sense.

But while I also don't know a single responsible boat owner who doesn't wear his lanyard—and I get to work with some of the best of them—when he's at the helm I don't believe anywhere close to the same savings would be realized with a lanyard law. Nor do I believe it would alter anyone's behavior in a significant way. So why have a law? Legislation for its own sake is pointless.
it needs to be a very high bar when curtailing peoples freedom for their supposed protection. speeding, cigarettes, booze, gambling, cola's , junk food all cause a thousand times more deaths and social problems than the 5 people that you could show died that would not have from wearing a laynard. i'm not against wearing one and i do when by myself or making a high speed run but i dont when cruising around at 35 mph in a high freeboard boat.

but its refreshing to disagree without it turning into a elementary school playground argument.
The following 5 users liked this post by SABER28:
Interceptor (10-31-2021), Matt Trulio (10-31-2021), MMatt28 (10-31-2021), offshoredrillin (10-31-2021), SB (10-31-2021)
Old 10-31-2021, 07:09 PM
Registered

I agree we don't need a law. Just wear the stupid things! On another note did you guys know that seatbelts contain an explosive charge that pulls the belt tight and locks it in a collision? I found that out the hard way this summer when I ran my Mustang into a truck. It didn't trip the airbags but it did the seatbelt. You have to send them out to be rebuilt after it happens. Just an interesting fact...
Old 10-31-2021, 07:50 PM
Registered

Received 146 Likes on 80 Posts

Alcohol, fatty food, inactivity generally affects the user, the law steps in when your drinking and driving begins to affect others. If a driver of a boat fell out and the boat headed out to sea and nobody else was hurt I dont think it would be an issue . What seems to happen is passengers get hurt and or the boat runs into someone or something and that's when it comes to the attention of politicians.
The dialog has been good, I was all set to pull the trigger on a Fall kill switch but as I was running this morning it dawned on me for it to work it needs to have the fob see water or be far enough away from the dash im in the water or on the dock. I still need a tether to shut the boat down if I get slammed to the deck.
In the end my boat is big enough the law doesn't apply to me but ill certainly try and be more diligent about using it . It would suck to have my boat speeding away with a hot girl on board as im floating in the water

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.